Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ~T6 - back type and height?

Ok, I gotta ask, how did you break all of that?

Quote Originally Posted by Andy
    Ok, I gotta ask, how did you break all of that?
    Oh, 2001...what a bad year for decision making...

I was into motorcycle racing, ya know, the little crotch-rockets (Yamaha R1, Suzuki GSXR1000). First up was January 2001 when I was out riding on the regular roads, not doing anything "wrong," just going thru a wide, sweeping turn known for being dangerous, and i was going about 65 (yeah, about 10 mph over limit). Lady came thru other way, going about 55-60mph, and was going to turn across my path to another road. She went into panic mode, could not decide what to do, and decided to return to the curved road path instead of turning. She hit the gas tho, and swerved toward a ditch, freaked again and swerved back toward me, accelrating still. I stayed my course, no other choice really. She hit me head on. Crotch meets gas tank, right hand dislocates at wrist (only tendons and skin and such holding it on), left hand broken in 3 places, right leg bent sideways at knee, vault into windshield of her car (her look was almost funny due to the number of emotions she was experiencing), and C5 decides to compact into C6, chipping it forward toward my windpipe. All fixed, 17 weeks of healing and...back on the bikes! (yes, I was told I was being an idiot)

Fast forward, and I leave Florida to go to Viriginia for the final races of the season, last week of Sept. All goes well, and then it is time to hit North Carolina for some nice twisties, eventually hitting Deal's Gap. Never made it. Seems low blood pressure, low blood sugar and high altitude with my stupidity (once again!) and not stopping for lunch had me pass out while doing about 75 down a straight-away, and instead of turning right with the rest of them, I simply went forward. Into the side of a mountain. Ooops.

In a coma for 3 1/2 days, wake up and think I am an X-Files experiment, and try to escape in the middle of the night. Found out I could not walk, and then the doctors came running due to the EKG sensors and such being pulled off.

Turns out I broke those 7 vertabrae, along with ribs in front and back, both right and left, which punctured my lungs and deflated them. So, I had tubes in for my lungs, tubes in for drainage for my back, and then a couple IVs and all the sensor stuff. Only other injury was my tongue- bit it in half (stick your tongue out, and bite down- that's what I evidently did as I crashed or after or something). They re-attached it, but doubted it would "take." Pfft on them, cause it is almost 100% like new, and takes a really good exam to see any injury ever happened.

As bad (and stupid) as all that sounds, I feel very lucky to have a great family and friends...and to have survived. Compare that to a 10-year old kid that wont be seeing 11, and I consider myself more than lucky. Even so, I still realize I need to let those tears flow once in awhile. I think we all do...

What ticks me off is the company that got me the wheelchair took advantage of me, knowing it would be unlikely I would discover anything for at least a couple years. I moved out to Oregon before I did. Ah well...
    nikki
    T6 complete since Oct, 2001
    TiLite ZRa, Spinergy LX 24", Shox Firm tires, 3" volcanic glare rollerblade wheels for casters

Wow, and I thought I went through the wringer, those are some crashes. My ride of choice was a 954RR, but the R1 and Gixxer 1K were right up there on the list. Funny how you think titanium as an exhaust pipe, now it's as a wheelchair, eh? Deal's Gap, I wanted to check that out sometime, but heard some scary stories of semis trying to go through there and car squids playing ricky racer on there going out of their lanes and messing things up for bikes. Seems like a great place to crash, but still, a great place to play too. Well, best of luck on the wheelchair hunt, all I gotta say is research and research more, and use the chair you got to get baseline measurements and add to and subtract from for what you really want. Also, check the order forms from each company, I think measurements and how they are derived are different between them. I think you said you are paying out of pocket for the chair somewhere, if you are, skip the local vendor and go with sportaid or spinlife, that is maybe 2/3 the price or less and you dont have to deal with idiot DME vendors. My brand of choice is TiLite, seems to the the best designed brand along with decent factory direct support should issues arise, after seeing some of the things that pass as wheelchairs and service from other companies. Of course some may disagree, but YMMV, lol.