Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ~T6 - back type and height?

~T6 - back type and height?

Hi!
    Yet another attempt to collect some data for a future purchase....

I have an A4 with the regular cloth back, not the tension adj. even. It is "caving in" quite a bit, and the back poles jab me in the side/back all the time now. Have marks from it (no breakdown, just marks, luckily enough). I am a T6 complete, and my seat back is adjusted to 15 1/2" right now (I think; I measured from the seat sling (no cushion on) to the top of the seat back).

I want to keep things light weight.

I have seen people with higher injury levels with lower seat back heights (I could swear I saw a T1 on here using a 12" back, Jetstream or Matrx I think). Did I measure mine wrong? Or should I be able to go lower? Last time I tried, I felt VERY unstable, like I would flip out of the chair backward. I do suffer from light dysreflexia, so I would worry about those good old spasms. Posture was VERY important to me pre-SCI. I always loved to have great lumbar support, like when seated in a seat in a car for instance. I have never felt comfy in my chair. No lumbar support at all, I feel like my butt constantly slides forward (2" dump, Jay2 that is 5 years of wear). I have read so much on here, and am a bit worried that I am hurting myself by not being properly "seated."

Suggestons for a seat back? Sling? Tension adj? Rigid?
    I am in a major city that unfortunately has only one decent DME for rigid chairs, I dont drive, and the place is about 90 minutes of public transportation fun to get to, so demo'ing will probably be unlikely at best.

(I might also be getting a very early birthday present form my Dad...an offer of a new chair of reasonable cost; he almost cried when he saw how badly this chair was "created" for me)
    nikki
    T6 complete since Oct, 2001
    TiLite ZRa, Spinergy LX 24", Shox Firm tires, 3" volcanic glare rollerblade wheels for casters

My friend who is T-7 complete and TBI uses the Roho Jetstream pro 16 inch back. He does not use a lower one because he said he is not stable in a lower one. The back is very lightweight and he can fold his backrest without having to worry about taking off the back first.

I use a Matrix pro...but my disease is the equivalent of T-12 incomplete right now, so I cannot be much help.
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot nothing's going to get better. It's not." - Dr. Seuss

I'm a T-2 and have a pretty high back on my A4 (14" ?) Anyway, if the sides are leaning in, slide the cross brace up a little bit in the back. An inch or two makes a heck of a difference.

Dave
    Dave

I have a quickie gt with an adjustable backrest. I just lowered it to 14" and really like it there. I am glad I have the adjustablilty, and I needed the higher back when I first got the chair for trunk stability. The back is a sling tyoe, but has velcro straps to loosen and tighten. I especially like the lower bqack on steep ramps/downhills, and it changes my center of gravity.
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

im T6 complete. i have the zra with the cloth tension adjust. back. i worry alot about my posture and hate it when my belly sticks out. the better my posture the less the belly shows. anyways, i keep my back as straight up as possible, the tighter the straps at the top the better, then i have the bottom straps a lil looser.

i have another chair with the roho jetstream pro on it and i cant seem to get use to it. at least with the cloth backs i get some side to side stability due to the bars, but with the roho jetstream pro, i dont. i think i have my backs set around 14-15 give or take.

I too am wanting to find the best back with the best lateral and lumbar support, and the shortest possible.
    Josh S.
    T6 complete as of 7/17/03

If youre looking for light and nothing to stick yourself with...stick with a sling back. On mine, I have the TiLite "tension adjustable by straps" back, ~15" above to the top of the seat cushion. I'm 6'3" with a longish torso for reference. In I think 3.5 years of use, I have 0 problems with it. I think I readjusted it once to compensate for initial stretch, but since then it's been great. Cant say for comfort, as I cant feel where it's at, but I dont seen any weirdness happening in my spine from what I can tell. I'm fused to T12 though, so YMMV. Keep in mind that really short backs are really short, especially when leaning back and not having abdominals at T6 level.

I probably should add that although I am t7/8 I am fused to t12 as well. It probably makes a difference the way I sit. I do have some abs as well. WHen I lowered the seat I expected my back to complain, but it didn't.
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

I probably should add that although I am t7/8 I am fused to t12 as well. It probably makes a difference the way I sit. I do have some abs as well. WHen I lowered the seat I expected my back to complain, but it didn't. I think you should go with as low a back as you are comfortable with,
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

Sorry to hear about your bad experience. I have a Quickie 2 with a 15" adjustable back. I tried it at lower levels, and it just didn't feel comfortable to me at all either. So I decided to keep it at the higher level. I have rods in from L1-T3, so that probably has something to do with it ..... I think so, anyways.

T6 para complete

Hi!
    Wow- thx for all the replies and info!

I am waiting for a call back from a local DME (All In One Mobility of Portland, Oregon) after they contact their Tilite rep to arrange a demo ZRA. I will try the adjustable tension back and see if it does better than the A-4's non-adjustable tension.

My biggest issue has been going from a life of proper posture and martial arts and stuff to a slouched posture with no abdominal control/support. I broke C1, C4, T1, and then T6-9. T6-9 were pulverized, and they did bone grafts from my pelvis and shoulder blades to try and rebuild them a bit, and then I got Harrington rods. I was told they would need to remain for life. Not exactly sure how long they are, but the scar on my back goes from about C3 all the way down to my lower lumbar...sorta like a big zipper! I can feel the screws and stuff if I run my hand down my spine, and have had lots of fun having others see how far they can run their hand down my spine before it freaks them out too much- lol!!!

My cushion and chair setup could be a big part of things...<sigh>

thx again!
    nikki
    T6 complete since Oct, 2001
    TiLite ZRa, Spinergy LX 24", Shox Firm tires, 3" volcanic glare rollerblade wheels for casters