Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I feel like crap

I feel like crap

I woke up this morning around 3:00 a.m. with chills. Stayed in bed until around 10 oclock when the chills and fever started coming down.

I sent a urine sample to the lab to have a urinalysis done. Leucocytes came back in the 7-10 range, which is a little high for me but I have never had chills like this with leucocytes in that range. I am having a culture done but it wont be ready for three days or so.

About a month ago I started using a foley cath occasionally at night to sleep better. I have used it with a bellybag and cleaned it with bleach as per recommendations here.

I do not have a stuffy nose, sore throat or anything that would indicate common cold. Urine looks clear and smells normal.

I still feel like crap. Is anyone here symptomatic with leucocytes at 7-10? What does anyone recommend me to do?
    T6 complete (or so I think), SCI since September 21, 2003

No advice for you, but I hope you get better soon.

No matter how well you take care of a foley, it is a natural breeding ground for bacteria. I would push the fluids, especially H2O and treat the fever. Get plenty of rest. Depending on your bladder management, you might also want to make sure that the bladder is not retaining any fluids, by cathing yourself every 4-6 hours.
    You also might have a virus of some sort- however, I would bet on the UTI. No matter what it is, tthe fluids and tylenol should help you to feel a little bertter.
    CKF

I hope you feel better too!

Blog Entries
    I would NOT 'treat' a fever. It is the bodies natural response to ramp up the immune system to fight whatever ails you. IF it gets really high, then lower it. otherwise, why weaken the bodies immune response?

i know what your problem is.....taking a foley IN and OUT for overnight-only use.

then a day or so later, sticking in another foley (or same one?...doesnt matter).

id get a UTI too if i played musical chairs with a foley cath.

to get rid of the UTI take a mega-dose of Vitamin C.

Blog Entries
    foley in and out is no different than IC

If you start feeling worse, if that fever starts to spike, hit the e.r. You don't want a kidney infection.

Did your doc start you on broad spectrum abx to try and head it off before the culture returns? My doctor does in an effort to knock it out earlier, to keep it (and me) from getting worse. He's usually dead on with what he prescribes.

Feel better soon, Motoman.

Appreciate everyone┬┤s responses.

I pretty much rested yesterday for most of the day, had a better night but still had strong chills again around 3 or so. Woke up feeling much better.

Still no cloudy or smelly urine, culture not back yet from lab.

I am taking nitroforintuin (sp.), one pill a day for 7 days while I wait for the results.

My last UTI was last june. So I am kind of hoping it is a 24 hour bug or something.
    T6 complete (or so I think), SCI since September 21, 2003

Cap,
    I'm with you on the fever thing. I first noticed this with my daughter. She had an excellent pediatrician who was not prescription or "med" happy. She advised me not to treat the fever unless it hit 101 and I usually held out for 101.5, unless she seemed miserable. She got rid of common viruses and bacteria MUCH faster than when I was "Tylenol happy" I would never advocate any one letting a fever get too high, but as Cap said - fever serves a purpose. The elevated temperature denatures the proteins and keeps the bugs from multiplying (or some such medical mumbo jumbo). To each their own, just my own two cents and something I swear by.