Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What is DUMP, when relating to a wheelchair?

I know that on my TDX5 i was able to have 3 degrees of dump from the chair its self. And the personal who fitted it for me 3 years ago, also made and backrest and cushion for ti that allowed me to acheive another 2 degrees of dump which i need to be stable in my wheelchair. But now i am looking into other wheelchairs and non custome seating for i have developed pressure sores from the seating it currently has.

If it was not for the dump in my wheelchair the seat belt would have cut me during any given spasm. which at times nearly sends me out of my wheelchair even with the dump and belt.

Quote Originally Posted by hapahouli
    Does your p/c tilt back? That would be a quick fix, or a seatbelt.

If anyone has a better idea please share.

But when you tilt to get dump, now i'm looking at the sky.. I HATE being reclined.

A wedge would solve it, but could cause other possible issues.

Damnit I JUST WANT TO BE COMFORTABLE IN THE DAMN THING!!

Paton, the Quickie P-222 has seat tilt, NOT recline. My seat angle is pretty good, but Im not sure exact numbers. I'll try to measure w/in next couple days.

You can also see if your chair seat will allow for a drop-seat pan. This might give you an extra .5-1 inch drop in rear. I had a solid seat drop pan in my rigid manual chair, allowing me to go lower to fl.

If you add wedges, make sure it is under cushion and that your weight is distributed as evenly as possible, and also adjust height of footrests as needed, to not create added pressure points. I've added towel as padding under my roho to adjust height and fill in sections of my seat (mainly due to adjusting for caving in current sling seat, which Im replacing with solid), with no problems.

edit, to add:
    Here is a pic to my chair, profile, so you can see the angle. I am sitting more level in cushion, cuz of extra padding added to rear portion of cushion to raise me higher against my backrest.

Im still working on fixing/adjusting...

Oh, 1 more thing I remembered you mentioning (in another thread) is the issue of your back, which may be similar to what I had/have problems with -- feeling pain, restricted movement, sitting too straight, etc. I prefer to sit very straight, but if the backrest is too high (above scapula), the backrest restricts movement in shoulders and overall freedom in upper back. It can also force me to sit in a way that doesn't feel natural against my spine, thus feeling rigidly straight, even tho I tends to sit even straighter and more forward, when back is lower and following the curve of my spine better (as I prefer anyway). So just wondering about the set-up of your backrest, and thinking how that could be better adjusted for you.
    Last edited by chick; 06-07-2007 at 11:16 PM.

Blog Entries
    I learned after many years(here) that a short backrest coupled with dump, actually makes me comfortable in a wheelchair. NEVER thought it possible. Short back allows spinal curvature approaching normal. Dump gives you support, with the backrest near vertical.
    All my pc's have tilt but because the backrests were high and NOT vertical(no dump) when tilted, I was never comfortable. Always found myself tilted back but sitting leaned forward supporting myself with my arms.
    Some chairs offer adjustable backrest angles. If it is a solid construction, someone could change it for you relatively easily.
    One thing I know for sure now, if you have a chair and are not comfortable, get the tools out. No sense having a turd under warranty.
    I would not have thought I could sit with a low backrest, upright, no armrests and be stable, comfortable and not falling over.
    11 years down the drain.

Thanks Chick, Cap'n.. I have a tdx5 with tilt... had it 3 1/2yrs.... got 11mi on it. When I said recline, i meant tilt, its "I feel reclined". It's got the fixed Invacare back, with 3 position adjistablility.

The right one. My manual uses a J2. I do what you do Cap'n, need to tilt to be stable. There's so much latrial support, I feel glued in place.

It's my first chair, so it fits great but uncomfortable. I think the backs are to tall, both of them. Only good thing is my p/c are bought by the Gov't.... YAY Canada.

SCI_OTRDid you ever have success creating a dump seat in a power chair? I have tried multiple power chairs, but using the power tilt and recline does not provide me with the same pain relief in my lower back and coccyx. I was very uncomfortable. I find my Tilite DUMP seat to be extremely pain relieving. My problem is I do not have enough strength in my hands to push myself around all day at work in my manual chair. Any suggestions?
    Last edited by annie2014; 03-16-2018 at 11:05 PM.

SCI_OTR doesn't come onto the site very often, so may not see your question. This thread is 12 years old as well.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Hi Annie, have you thought about a hard foam wedge under your cushion? Figure out the amount of dump in your Tilite and cut a hard foam wedge the same amount. That should work and won't cost very much to try it out.

Just keep in mind that increased dump also will change the pressure reducing properties of your cushion, and place increased pressure on your ischiums. If you are going to do this, you should get a new computer interface seating evaluation with the dump included so adjustments can be made in things like your cushion/cushion set up, and foot supports.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.