Thread: Syrinx Dr or Rn Please?

Syrinx Dr or Rn Please?

I have two questions please. First a little history:

I recently had surgery to repair a syrinx that extended the entire length of my back and up and into my brain stem. The doctors decompressed my spine, performed a duraplasty, then patched the dura. My doctor said that once he opened the area at my level of injury (T6) and removed the scar tissue, the CSF started to flow normally again. Before the surgery he told me that my spinal cord had deteriorated quite significanly below my level of injury. Now my questions:

1. Should I request a followup MRI to make sure the syrinx doesn't come back?

2. What does the deteriorated spinal cord mean in terms of a possible cure in the future? Does this rule me out entirely?

Thank You.

Quote Originally Posted by Sugarcube
    I have two questions please. First a little history:

I recently had surgery to repair a syrinx that extended the entire length of my back and up and into my brain stem. The doctors decompressed my spine, performed a duraplasty, then patched the dura. My doctor said that once he opened the area at my level of injury (T6) and removed the scar tissue, the CSF started to flow normally again. Before the surgery he told me that my spinal cord had deteriorated quite significanly below my level of injury. Now my questions:

1. Should I request a followup MRI to make sure the syrinx doesn't come back?

2. What does the deteriorated spinal cord mean in terms of a possible cure in the future? Does this rule me out entirely?

Thank You.
    Yes, you should get a followup MRI, perhaps at a year. Your doctors should have indicated to you when they wanted a followup. Either that or they are very confident in their work.

Syringomyelic reduction surgery is not only recommended by some clinical trials that are planning to test therapies but I think is necesary for the best results of any regenerative therapy.

Wise.

I just had another MRI today, and the syrinx has returned. It is not as long but it is causing symptoms. (numbness & headaches) What will happen now? Does this mean more surgery?