Thread: E Motion Wheels- YNot Lithium ion batteries?

E Motion Wheels- YNot Lithium ion batteries?

Would this go a long way in solving weight, width and hours of usage issues?

Anyone with any insight or if they are working on this?

EDIT: Also, does Franks mobility own the patent? Is there any more R&D going on?
    Any way to find out?
    And the truth shall set you free.

Price of Li if phenominal....... It'd be a few grand for batteries alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Patonb
    Price of Li if phenominal....... It'd be a few grand for batteries alone.
    LI not THAT expensive anymore...cordless power tools are using it now at VERY reasonable costs...no reason why it couldn't be used for E-Motions other than the option hasn't been researched....
    'Chelle
    L-1 inc 11/24/03

"My Give-a-Damn's Busted"......

Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida/Mantoloking NJ
    Another problem with LiOn tech is that they are not all approved for air travel.

Price is not out of hand when you look at range and life span. But being "grounded" is.

Be Big,
    Alan
    L4/L5 CES

www.DRAFT.cc
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1024602574

Messages from Alan Maccini and are produced utilizing voice recognition software. As a result of this on occasion a misrecognition of a word will occur and while spelled correctly will result in an unintended word appearing. We apologize for any errors.

Quote Originally Posted by Tarkus
    Another problem with LiOn tech is that they are not all approved for air travel.

Cell phones, laptops, iPods, and all of the other gadgets we can't live without have Lithium Ion batteries, and we take them on planes all the time.

Good question posed by the original poster. I've been wondering about this since the first day I got my Emotions and experienced the craptastic battery life firsthand. Antiquated technology.
    Disclaimer: I use voice dictation software, due to chronic tendinitis. Any gibberish-type errors in this post are due to the software's stupidity, not my own. Protect your arms and hands from overuse, people!

http://www.iata.org/nr/rdonlyres/fc8...nglish2007.pdf

the iata dangerous goods regulations for 2007 - stuff about liion batteries in consumer devices is about halfway down page 2. the regulation about EXTRA batteries is right below it (and slightly different). there can be an issue with carrying several unsecured improperly packed batteries in cargo or checked baggage.

Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida/Mantoloking NJ
    Quote Originally Posted by NJenn
    Cell phones, laptops, iPods, and all of the other gadgets we can't live without have Lithium Ion batteries, and we take them on planes all the time.

Good question posed by the original poster. I've been wondering about this since the first day I got my Emotions and experienced the craptastic battery life firsthand. Antiquated technology.
    NJenn,

Not all Lion batteries are the same. The small ones used in laptops, cells etc have a very lite weight. As you move into larger batteries the rules change and so do the air transportation laws.

In accordance with 49 CFR 173.185, when the aggregate lithium content of the anodes of a battery when fully charged is more 25 grams the lithium battery must be transported as a Class 9 hazardous material. Section 175.85(a) prohibits the carriage of hazardous material in the cabin of a passenger-carrying aircraft or on the flight deck of any aircraft. Therefore, a device that utilizes a lithium-ion battery whose aggregate lithium content on the anodes of the battery when fully charged is more than 25 grams is forbidden in the cabin of a passenger aircraft or on the flight deck of any aircraft. The device may not be carried in the cargo compartment of the aircraft.

It would take a battery at least as large as the minimum to push a chair.

I have been trying to get clearance for some mid weight Saphions for over two years and I just don't see it happening.

Be Big,
    Alan
    Last edited by Tarkus; 06-06-2007 at 07:11 PM.
    L4/L5 CES

www.DRAFT.cc
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1024602574

Messages from Alan Maccini and are produced utilizing voice recognition software. As a result of this on occasion a misrecognition of a word will occur and while spelled correctly will result in an unintended word appearing. We apologize for any errors.

DUH........ I totally forgot about the reactivity of Li. Gah....... Good Metallurgist I am. Li is in the same family as Na and K(potassium).. The Alkali metal family.

To clarify why its hazardous, Li is explosivly reactive to oxygen. That is, the Li metal hates to be pure Li. So in the presence of oxygen it will spontaniousy convert back to LiO, basically think iron rusting, with so much energy that it will explode.

Li metal has to be kept submerged in mineral oil so as not to explode.