Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blood Sugar and Blood Pressure Changes in SCIs

Blood Sugar and Blood Pressure Changes in SCIs

Are people with spinal cord injuries prone to swift changes in blood sugar levels and blood pressure changes?

I appreciate any information the nurses can provide. Thank you.

I swear i am..... Out of the blue.. Bang. light headed, hungery, and all around oddness.
    Eat something.. fruit or sugery and it all goes away.

Quote Originally Posted by Patonb
    I swear i am..... Out of the blue.. Bang. light headed, hungery, and all around oddness.
    Eat something.. fruit or sugery and it all goes away.
    Same here. I sweat profusely and feel really weak and sick until I get nutrition. It's surprising how quickly it can suddenly hit you.

I'd get checked for diabetes, just to be sure.
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

Don't sweat... and I'm sure i was checked when in hospital.

That happens to me also. I get dizzy, light headed and feel as though I am going to pass out. I eat about 5 or 6 hard sugar candy and/or drink a glass of juice. Sometimes it feels as though I can't injest it fast enough. Since diabetes runs in my family I repeatedly get tested for it but it always comes back negative, and thankfully so. I was also checked for hypoglycemia and that was negative also. The symptoms sometime come right out of the blue. I sleep with hard candy next to my bed and carry a stash in my back pack. Now that I hear others seem to have the same problem I'm pretty convinced now that it's an sci thing.

One thing I find that affects it is that I don;t "get hungry" exactly anymore, so sometimes just don;t eat when I should. THen BAM I notice it.
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

Since your brain plays an important role, through your spinal cord and the autonomic nervous system, in controlling blood pressure and keeping it steady all the time, yes, it is very common for people with SCI to have problems with blood pressure regulation. Most common is orthostatic hypotention (blood pressure that drops when you sit or stand up), and autonomic dysreflexia. There is also some indication that at least in people with paraplegia, essential hypertension (high blood pressure) is more common than in the general population.

Diabetes is also more common in people with SCI. While I have not seen any studies about hypoglycemia in people with SCI, it certainly makes sense that this may be a more serious problem in people with SCI than in the general population.

(KLD)

Thank you all for your responses. I appreciate the feedback.

i get the exact same feelings. i hardly eat breakfast an then right around lunch time it hits. same symptoms as yall. i crave a big glass of milk an sweets. i can gobble 4 or 5 snacks cakes an start feelin better. seems i can't get enough in y mouth at one time. my mom is diabetic. i've been checked but its always negative.