Thread: Broda Seating

Broda Seating

My daughter has severe MS and is paralized from the neck down. SInce her condition has been progressive, her wheelchair is not adaquate since she now has a hard time with upper body strength and even head control. Has anyone her of a seating system called Broda seating that is like a chair/wheelchair that those with severe disability can use?

Thanks

The Broda chairs I have seen are like glorified lawn furniture which have a seat constructed from plastic straps. They provide poor pressure relief and no trunk support. If there is no hope of your daughter driving a powerchair, I would suggest a tilt-in-space wheelchair with a custom back and headrest--such as the Invacare Solara. I will be configuring one this week and will post pics once it is together.

FYI: The Solara is going to be a backup chair for a veteran who has limited head control and no movement in his extremities. This is the powerchair he is able to operate independently:

http://www.wheelchairjunkie.com/cgi-...=018836#000000

Invacare Solara 2G Tilt in Space with Personal Back

Well, it took a little longer than I hoped, but I finished configuring that Invacare Solara I referred to in my previous post. It has a 16" high Invacare Personal Back, Stealth Comfort Plus headrest, rear wheel hub locks, Otto Bock arm troughs/hand pads. The T-arms have been reconfigured to eliminate slop and allow the Otto Bock elevating/swivel unit to actually elevate. As the pics show, it can be tilted for pressure relief and can be disassembled to be semi-portable.

I've done many Solara's as backup chairs for veterans with high-level injuries having minimal upper extremity function. Still, getting everything right takes as much time as many powerchairs I set up.

I apologize for resurrecting an old post. Some questions:

Quote Originally Posted by SCI_OTR View Post
    Well, it took a little longer than I hoped, but I finished configuring that Invacare Solara I referred to in my previous post. It has a 16" high Invacare Personal Back, Stealth Comfort Plus headrest, rear wheel hub locks, Otto Bock arm troughs/hand pads. The T-arms have been reconfigured to eliminate slop and allow the Otto Bock elevating/swivel unit to actually elevate. As the pics show, it can be tilted for pressure relief and can be disassembled to be semi-portable.

I've done many Solara's as backup chairs for veterans with high-level injuries having minimal upper extremity function. Still, getting everything right takes as much time as many powerchairs I set up.
    Hello,
    I know this is an old post but I was hoping to ask a few questions about this.

Disclaimer: I do not have an SCI - I have EDS and am bedbound and housebound. I do not have much strength in my extremities but I still have a strong core and can balance and sit upright. Due to POTS/dysautonomia, I can't be upright for very long (cannot stand either) so tilt is what I am needing. Any help would be very appreciated.

I have been reading pages and pages in this forum and I would like to thank you for all of your reviews and technical knowledge. I have learned a lot.

I am in the process of getting my first "REAL" wheelchair. everything else I have used for the past 4 years have been purchased at garage sales, craigslist and ebay. Unfortunately, I haven't never hit on what I need but I learned the hard, expensive way, what I don't need.

For a manual chair, I would like the Invacare Solara with assisted power preferably with the smaller wheels not the big 22" or 24". Can the user activate the tilt in space (I know the foot activated switch is in the right rear for the caregiver to depress but could I use a stick to push the foot lever down to activate the tilt?) I would like to use the power assist with the joystick if possible.

secondly, I would like a power setup and found one website that showed compatability and the answer was yes. I have since lost that link! Too much research! Do you know which power assist setup would work best. I may be calling it the wrong thing - I can't push at all with my left arm so I would like the ZX1 type system not one in which I have to push or start the push and let the motor on the wheel assist me.

Lastly, Can this be taken apart to put in the trunk to be transportable without tools. Can I sit on a stool and take it apart myself? I can walk a few steps but have no upper arms strength. Or would this be something I would break down if I were going to be away for a while?

The power chair option, if I go power, would be the Quickie p222.

My goal is tilt, small footprint, small turning radius, easy transportability since I don't have a van and would not be able to afford the gas for a van. I don't need long battery life or speed as I would use this mostly in my tiny house. I don't have to deal with snow or ice.

The reason I like the manual with power assist rather than just a power chair is that because I am small (5'4" 120lbs female), I think I can go with a smaller width chair therefore making this easier to move around in my home.

Thanks for any help!

Marti