Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can hand controls be moved to a new vehicle? Do Mobility programs cover this?

Can hand controls be moved to a new vehicle? Do Mobility programs cover this?

I've been searching and researching for the last few days and can't find an answer to my question.

Currently, I drive a 2002 Dodge Caravan Sport with Sure Grip hand controls. Due to some pretty heafty repairs coming up in the next 4-8 months on the van and the cost of gas (OMG ) we are looking at trading in the van on a new car.

We've done some number crunching with the new gas mileage, our improved credit score, and a drop in insurance rates. we would actually be paying less for the new car per month than we are paying currently for the van and it's gas/insurance. That, in addition to Boog's new job, we are able to look seriously now.

(I understand with the Mobility programs they will reimburse me up to $1000 on mods. I just have to save up the $$ to pay for it first.)

Here's my rock/hard place:
    *Do I buy portable hand controls for the "in the meantime?" Is this a waste of money? They could potentially be used for rentals/travel/Boog's future auto trans vehicle.
    *Can my current hand controls be moved into the new car? Can they be modified "for now" until I save up the $$ for the new set? What exactly is involved? Is it different brackets? Or if necessary, just bending the rods?
    *Would the mobility program cover the installation of current controls in the new vehicle? Or does the program only cover new controls installed in a new vehicle?
    *Have any of you personally reinstalled your own hand controls in a different vehicle? or did a dealer/shop do it?

We test drove cars for several hours today. Actually, Booger drove, and I asked questions about the feel/handling. We are looking in the CUV/XUV category. Saturns are out because there is no dealer here.

My "winners" so far are:
    Pontiac Vibe (roof rack and the fact that there's a fully loaded one avail that's marked down)

Toyota Matrix (better resale, like the salesman better, but we need the damn rack)

Both hug the road nicely, and handle well for me as a passenger (had Boog running on all kinds of stuff and I did well when compared to the van.)

Toyota Rav4--(MPG not as good still better than van, slightly bigger pmt than van, higher clearance...a bit harder for transfer,/chair load but nicer ride for our trips in the back country, more room for road trips/camping.)

Boog's car is a manual, so I can't drive it. He's looking at a Scion Xb as his next car. We will either buy hand controls for it, move the van controls to his car (if not possible for mine), or use the potential portables to his vehicle. We don't do trips in his car now. Mostly it's a fear thing. If something happens to him, I can't drive to get us home/help, etc. We end up in places with no traffic and no cell service, so i need to be able to drive.

thanks in advance,
    jadis

Should be no problem moving the controls to the new one providing they werent hacked up too much to fit the old one. Caravans are big and you seem to be going smaller, so I'd think it should be ok. I'm speaking of MPD controls experience here only, might be different for suregrips, but I figure they should mount the same, around the steering shaft or a hodgepodge of brackets.

Mobility programs want new controls installed in the new vehicle. But, should you wish to give yourself an additional rebate...put the old ones in the new car yourself, do some creative printing with Microsoft Word, and get the $$ anyway . GM's program has you fill out the reimbursement form, take it and the car to the dealer to 'verify' that controls are indeed installed (they dont know old from new, 1st oil change is a good time with the service advisor eyeballing them), mail that completed form along with your creatively printed receipt from the phantom mobility equipment company (or a phantom car service shop) for xx amount of $$, and collect the check in about a month.

Thanks for the reply, Andy!

So, I know now I need to save up and put a new set in the new car. We've went online and did some research and discovered that the RAV4 has a telescoping steering column. How in the heck do you mount to that? bah.

Can't print my own, I wouldn't be able to deal with myself. LOL

We also discovered by pulling our credit that our beacon is 100 points higher than it was the last time we checked. We quessed it would go up approx 30 pts, but not 130, so that' puts a RAV in our price range. Now, just to see if our dealer can get them. He said he's been having a rough time getting some stock up here.

Heres an idea for you. I am looking into getting a Mazda5 grand touring, I think it has the potential to be an awesome wheelchair vehicle with the rear slider doors, the easy level transfer and is a great vehicle. I plan on removing the Sure grips from my current vehicle and installing them into the mazda which should only be around a couple hundred bucks, with the balance of the $1000.00 that Mazda allows I am going to put it towards a motor drive for the rear sliding door which will have to added as it is not a factory option option on this vehicle.

I'd looked at the Mazda5 when I was looking last year at upgrading the van, but I want to get away from the minivan. One of the reasons is the places we go to camp, etc. If we weren't in the backcountry almost every weekend for 4-6 months out of the year, it wouldn't be so bad. I am tired of getting so far up a road and having to turn around bc the van can't handle it.

Sis-
    I don't remember if you have State Farm auto insurance or not, but if you do...Find the thread from around a month or so ago about them completely reimburing for dis mods you do....This is yet another option for you to investigate...May take a lil less time for you to get the $$ back, i dunno...Also, I've got a set of portables you could borrow for short term if ya needed them...I know where ya live I can always hunt ya down if ya didn't return them...lol...
    'Chelle
    L-1 inc 11/24/03

"My Give-a-Damn's Busted"......

My Monarch hand controls are now into their 5th vehicle.

Allstate is my ins co.

Karl, you're special.

if mobility programs cover up to $1k (comes out of the car company's pocket), get a new set. charge it to a credit card if you have to pay in advance. save all records..

then... remove the set out of your old car & sell it on ebay/etc.

I just wanted to say thanks to everyone that helped me out here.

I'm going to borrow Sis' portables so I can atleast drive to work etc until I get the $$ saved up to put in the permanent set. Then, I will do what Scott suggested and sell the old set.