Thread: MS Drugs

MS Drugs

Hello everyone,

Does anyone know if drugs used to treat MS (other than 4AP) are also being prescribed for SCI patients.

Thank You

What drugs are you referring to? If you mean the CRABs (Copaxone, Rebif, Axonex and Betaseron) plus Tysabri, I am not sure what you would be trying to achieve.

These drugs are used to modulate the auto-immune effects of MS on the myelin and axons in people with MS, primarily for those with RRMS (remitting-relapsing MS). I have seen no evidence that there is an auto-immune component to SCI, even in the acute stages. They all have the potential for pretty serious side effects, and are all very expensive (from $11,000-20,000 annually). Even many people with MS choose not to take them due to this.

I can't imagine an insurance approving them for someone without MS, and would not waste my money on them.

People with MS and SCI do take a lot of other drugs in common (esp. for people with MS who have a lot of spinal cord lesions). This includes drugs such as baclofen and tizanadine, as well as bladder meds like Ditropan, Detrol, Sanctura, etc.

(KLD)

combos

Has anybody tried Copaxone and 4-ap.
    Thanks
    Brad
    jbs