Thread: Router Security

Router Security

I have a router connected to my DSL line that I use for my laptop. I have the router set up with a security password. A friend told me that it is possible for someone to break into my router set up and use my DSL line. They also told me that that someone could break into my computer and steal secure info such as bank accounts using my router set up. Since my router is only used for remote access for my laptop and is not part of a network, I cannot understand how this is possible. Does anyone know about this problem? Is there a way to prevent it from occuring?
    mike

Quote Originally Posted by mike
    I have a router connected to my DSL line that I use for my laptop. I have the router set up with a security password. A friend told me that it is possible for someone to break into my router set up and use my DSL line. They also told me that that someone could break into my computer and steal secure info such as bank accounts using my router set up. Since my router is only used for remote access for my laptop and is not part of a network, I cannot understand how this is possible. Does anyone know about this problem? Is there a way to prevent it from occuring?
    Truth/? Yes someone can get in. But that person is 3% or less of all computer users, and there is no way to stop them.

Now, to stop skript kiddies is easy.. Keep your system up to date..... Your router has a NAT firewall which pretty much closes off your computer to the world. It only opens certain ports to the world, despite you actually having others open for printing, windows sharing and whatnot.

Most people are beat because they have d/l or opened a file, which opens ports thus allowing someone in, aswell as having unpatched software/services. Thoses MS updates work!

Now, as you have a wireless router, other precautions need to be done.
    There is 2 main types of security, WEP, and WPA1&2. Neither one is absolutely secure, and given the motivation and tools, can be cracked.

WEP is a joke. Given a decent signal i'll crack it in 13 minutes. WPA is another story. I can get the code in 2 minutes, but could be anywhere from 2 minutes to 10,000,000,000 years to crack.... NOT AN EXAGERATION.

HOWEVER, despite gaining access to your router, accessing your system still needs to be done.. So see above about that...
    BUT, if i'm on your "network" i can get your passwords via sniffing the traffic... Don't despair, this is only possible as you use them, and your important ones are encrypted, thus need to be cracked.

ARE YOU SCARED YET?

Now to prevent this....

1)Use the damn windows firewall. It sucks, bu works. Plenty of free versions out there to, so no reason not to use one. Also, opeen only nessesary ports
    2)Keep updated... ALL programs can be flawed, so keep up on it.
    3)Don't open or d/l unknow stuff.
    4)Keep spyware and virus checkers updated, incase you brain fart and skip #3
    5) Use a router with a NAT firewall, even if you only have 1 computer.
    6)Use WPA when you can, sorry rollin 98 doesn't have WPA, and use a strong alpha numeric pass. i.e. 1gh2g6de8l0y22. Long, random... no words.
    Change it every-so-often

Thats all i can think of right now..

Again, most problems are, like always, user created like phishing and d/l's, and not because of a "hacking".

The only thing I can add is to keep the firmware on the router updated as well. You can find updates at the manufacturers website. Some routers when you go through the web interface have a button that takes you to the update site for the router firmware.
    Teyrn

WOW!! Patonb you never cease to amaze me with your knowledge of computers.
    "There's too many things to get done, and I'm running out of days" 3 Doors Down

Quote Originally Posted by teyrn
    The only thing I can add is to keep the firmware on the router updated as well. You can find updates at the manufacturers website. Some routers when you go through the web interface have a button that takes you to the update site for the router firmware.
    Yha...... forgot that one... Thanks teryrn.

Jerry..... I got nothing else to do but read and play.... Times on my side.

Computers are the last of my intrests, that as a quad, I can still do. And everything you could every want to know is on this here thing called the full-o-Pr0n do-hicky.

Quote Originally Posted by Patonb
    Computers are the last of my intrests, that as a quad, I can still do. And everything you could every want to know is on this here thing called the full-o-Pr0n do-hicky.
    hah, same here. actually i never even touched/typed on a puter until i got my first one in 2003, which was 2 yrs after i got hurt.

everything i've learned is from readin, askin questions an a lot of trial an error....AKA-screwin things up an havin to fix it back, lol.

i'm glad ya asked this question mike, cause i was kinda wondering the same thing. now i am a lil bit scared...thanks patonb.

Quote Originally Posted by rollin64
    hah, same here. actually i never even touched/typed on a puter until i got my first one in 2003, which was 2 yrs after i got hurt.

everything i've learned is from readin, askin questions an a lot of trial an error....AKA-screwin things up an havin to fix it back, lol.

i'm glad ya asked this question mike, cause i was kinda wondering the same thing. now i am a lil bit scared...thanks patonb.
    Don't worry b'ye, i gots plans to secure you.... Besides, You're hicks in the sticks!

I would recommend trying ShieldsUp over on GRC to see if you are stealth. Windows 98 along with Windows Me are no longer supported by Microsoft. With no more support/critical updates I don't think it is possible to secure these vulnerable operating systems.
    Since my router is only used for remote access for my laptop and is not part of a network, I cannot understand how this is possible. Does anyone know about this problem? Is there a way to prevent it from occuring?
    I think you need to set up a secure tunnel (Hotspot VPN or other) to protect your privacy/data. Wireless hotspots along with restaurants, hotels, mostly provide you with an unsecured connection to the Internet. If your wireless use is unprotected, you are at risk for identity theft, fraud, stolen passwords, etc. As stated above, turn on WPA encryption or TKIP (Temporal Key Integrity Profile) along with using a strong alphanumeric password to lock down your home network.
    The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit the bottom
    --General George Patton

Complex problems need to be solved collectively.
    ––Paul Nussbaum
    usc87.blogspot.com