Thread: how does the system work re:transportation? alternatives (e.g., motorcycles)?

how does the system work re:transportation? alternatives (e.g., motorcycles)?

This might be better off posted in Life, but I'll try here first.

In a nutshell, how does the funding or Medicare/Medicaid system work when it comes to getting a vehicle? For example, a van, car or simply hand controls? Is this a contentious subject sometimes? I know some vehicles and conversions can be bloody expensive.....

Also, I take it that 'alternative' forms of transportation that might be viewed as 'recreational' or a 'luxury' item are not funded in any way. I can't help but think that's a bit unfair in principle. I know that if I ever sustained an SCI, I would still want to ride a motorcycle (its just an incurable itch with me) by any and all means possible, and I know that regardless of the level of injury, technology can do really remarkable things.

So my main question is a) how does the system work and b) if said system would fund a motorcycle or some similar open air vehicle (trike, Can-Am, sidecar), would you want to take advantage of it even if it meant not getting a car/truck/van instead?

Tom

Medicare/Medicade doesnt work with vehicles. If youre lucky your state might have a vocational type of benefit available where they pay to convert a car or van to your needs, at their pace and terms. It may be worthwhile to just pay on your own rather than dealing with that at times however, unless you have a few extra years to spend with no vehicle, lol.

If you want a vehicle, you buy it. Neither Medicare nor Medicaid provide vehicles and certainly not items for recreational use.

I'm not as familiar with Medicaid, but your assets may be limited if you receive assistance through this program. Medicaid guildelines vary by state so check to be certain you will not lose your benefits before spending x amount on any item, such as a vehicle, which may be viewed as as asset. Also, keep tabs on what's in your bank account. You may find it necessary to do a spend down from time to time to retain your Medicaid bennies.

As for Medicare, it's not means tested, per se. You may have any amount of networth and still receive your bennies. This does not include wages from work as there are caps on what may be earned within a given time period.

As Andy said, check w/Voc Rehab. If mods will assist in returning to work and/or school you may receive help there. This varies greatly by state and even by county within a state.

What I'm about to say may be unpopular w/some, but I'm glad Medicare and Medicaid do not provide rec items or cars for those receiving bennies. There are far too many people landing in nursing homes who could remain in their communities in their own houses or apartments with assistance. When people are routinely sent to nursing homes because they are deemed "too disabled" to remain in their own coimmunities we have a giant disconnect.

I'm glad when any of us use or own recreational equipment. I'm more glad that the monies I paid into the system for decades will not fund rec items and motorcycles. Take care of basic needs first, stop warehousing in nursing homes those among our ranks who are most severely injured, provide medical care and equipment, then talk to me about vehicles.

Medicare, Medicaid, and virtually all private insurance will not fund anything to do with a vehicle. Since you are working now, you would not be eligible for Medicaid, and it is doubtful that VR would pay for anything either, as you would have to prove that you have to drive in order to keep working, and that there are no other alternative means of getting to work (bus, paratransit, etc.).

Everyone I know (except for a few who are veterans or got big settlements or have worker's comp coverage) buy their own adapted vans. Even the VA will not buy the van for service connected veterans, but will only cover (some) of the costs of modification.

Your best best is to save your money and then look at a used van. Check out www.disableddealer.com, your local van modification places (which often have used equipment for sale) and eBay motors.

I am moving this over to the Equipment forum.

(KLD)

Whoa whoa whoa there..........I think I was misunderstood. I don't need a van or anything. Even tho I do hate my current car. I was simply curious as to how the 'system' if any worked. Apparently it varies from state to state. And also how you felt about other means of transportation.

Carry on!

Tm

Do you have a disability? Why would you be expecting someone else to buy you a car, or a motorcycle or anything other form of private transportation? Wondering why you are posting questions like this here.

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse
    Do you have a disability? Why would you be expecting someone else to buy you a car, or a motorcycle or anything other form of private transportation? Wondering why you are posting questions like this here.

(KLD)
    I realize that you often don't have the time to check profiles and/or recent posts, but it appears you have badly misunderstood my original post. I've said many times I don't have an SCI, even though I have a number of serious health issues that cause similar problems. Even so, NO, I don't have a disability. Just diabetes, high blood pressure, kidney and bladder problems, all the good stuff that comes along with being diabetic; also severe to profound deafness since birth (about 15-20% hearing in my left ear, none at all in right ear). And oh yeah, I'm about 150# overweight for my height. Other than that, why no problems at all. I can get around just fine, so I certainly consider myself able bodied, regardless of my other health issues.

I am NOT expecting anyone or anything to buy me transportation. As it is, I'm expected to provide transportation FOR the individuals I work with as an MR/DD caregiver, at my expense, as a condition of employment. BTW - 31 cents a mile for mileage in the face of $3-a-gallon gasoline hardly counts as recompense for my services (just my opinion).

I'm simply asking as to how people with SCI or other similar disabilities address their transportation issues, and whether or not there was any sort of system for this. Is that too much to ask? I'm an inveterate motorhead at heart, and make no apologies for it. If I didn't HAVE to have a car for work, I'd most likely buy a scooter that gets 80-100mpg and laugh at all the soccer moms in their giant SUV's. Or get a good motorcycle (riding season extends almost year round here, and I have used a motorcycle as a primary mode of transportation.)

I posted this thread as a matter of simple curiosity and in good faith. If this offends you or anyone else, please accept my sincere apologies.

Tom