Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Do Quads drive from power or manual chairs?

From a small cabin in the big woods of The Allegheny National Forest, PA

Do Quads drive from power or manual chairs?

Now that I understand that many Quads successfully push manual chairs. Do Quads mostly drive from their power or manual chairs?
    If manual, do you transfer to a standard drivers seat, or have a special one installed?
    How do quads transfer, disassemble the manual chairs and get them inside the vehicle, when our fingers don't work?

This is important to understand before I get strong enough to be evaluated in either a manual or power chair?
    Or do I accept the fact, that I operate a huge van from a P/C?

Thanks much, sorry for all the questions. No one taught me anything.

MAC
    C 5/6 Comp.
    No Tri's or hand function.

Far better it is to try mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure. Than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much or suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory or defeat.

Teddy Roosevelt

"All of us are all too stuck strapped to a chair watching our lives blow up..."

First of all, not all "quads" are the same. What may apply for someone who has a C5 ASIA A injury may be quite different for someone who has a C7 ASIA D injury. It would help to narrow this down a bit so you get more specific answers.

(KLD)

I'm a C6 in a manual chair but will be converting to a power chair for driving. I can push pretty good but I live in North Georgia and it's to hilly for me. With the power chair I'll not worry about transferring, fatigue or getting stuck as often.
    There's
    No
    Place

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse
    First of all, not all "quads" are the same. What may apply for someone who has a C5 ASIA A injury may be quite different for someone who has a C7 ASIA D injury. It would help to narrow this down a bit so you get more specific answers.

(KLD)
    yep for real. I'm C5/full time manual, refused power because i'd be tempted to use it. I was/am very active and making gains by the week. However, not mentioned is that I have full left/partial right triceps, wrists, hands, back, some abs...makes things a little easier.

I am a complete C5/6 and have both chairs. I exclusively drive from my power due to blood pressure problems.

Life isn't like a bowl of cherries or peaches. It's more like a jar of jalapenos--What you do today might burn your ass tomorrow.

If you ain't laughing, you ain't living, baby. Carlos Mencia

I drive a full-size van from my manual chair. I am a functional C-6, no triceps. I am incomplete because I have full sensation. I could drive a mini-van from my manual chair, but getting up the ramp on a mini is tough, with the exception of the Toyota Sienna which I can get up relatively easily.

Im C5/6 complete..i have no fingies,tri's,my paralysis actually starts about an 1 above my nips and i cant feel anything anywhere...BUT..if i lay my arm flat on a table i can raise my wrists against gravity..i cant do it with a phone in my hand,so i feel its useless.....but anyhoo

I prefer to make the transfer to the drivers seat because its more comfortable and secure than my chair...and i get sick of sitting in my chair all day so its a nice break..it also took me 3yrs to be able to get my fat ass into that drivers seat while i was told to ''give it up buddy!''....so i guess i feel proud to.

If you are a quadriplegic and go to the expense of getting a vehicle that you can wheel into then why on earth would you want to drive from a manual wheelchair? Unless you are a very strong quadriplegic and can push a manual wheelchair extremely well, you are going to be no more independent at the end of your journey than if you were lifted into a car manually. I drive from my power chair which means I can go out on my own, whether it be shopping, or just to get out of the house. I can go fishing and it doesn't matter if the ground is rough. If I drove my vehicle from a manual chair, I would have to rely on someone to come with me which would defeat the benefit of having a car for independence.

I'm taking delivery of my new Mercedes sprinter van in two weeks, I'll post pictures

Quote Originally Posted by Ironside
    If you are a quadriplegic and go to the expense of getting a vehicle that you can wheel into then why on earth would you want to drive from a manual wheelchair? Unless you are a very strong quadriplegic and can push a manual wheelchair extremely well, you are going to be no more independent at the end of your journey than if you were lifted into a car manually.
    I don't think I understand what you're saying or asking here. Do you mean the added weight of the lockdown bracket on your chair will make it so you can barely push the chair once out of the van?
    Last edited by Scorpion; 06-02-2007 at 03:12 PM.