Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dark Ages and Science

Cool Great Fire Of Alexandria

dID THIS NOT ALSO INFLUENCE A DECLINE IN KNOWLEGE FOR A PERIOD OF TIME??
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Library_of_Alexandria

http://www.bede.org.uk/library.htm
    Last edited by znop; 06-19-2007 at 02:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lindox
    Concerning the United States and the lack of educated
    people. WE have been spoonfed..we are consumers.
    Only consumers. From toddlers to the grave. BUY BUY BUY. Even if what you are buying is not worth a plug nickel. BUY.

It takes a hunger to accomplish anything really. And our hunger doesn't exist anymore
    On the flip side -
    want, desire, greed, and all that a consumer culture demands (as they are simultaneously inoculated into and spoon-fed), can breed greater innovation and expand overall knowledge-base, especially in science and technology. If you think U.S. is numbed by consumerism, look at countries/cultures such as Korea and other Asian cultures, where they can't get enough toys, money, status, and everything else we often balk at, as contributing to the cultural demise of 'intelligentsia' and 'progress'.

But they have their own cultural debates and conflicts, between new and old. progress and tradition....

It's just funny sometimes, to hear people admonishing the U.S. for the very things they herald as a good/positive/progressive thing that other nations/cultures are doing.

Maybe, as measured by technological advances, they are just succeeding - more and faster (than the U.S.).
    But at what cost?
    And whose measure of progress is the best? Maybe it doesn't have to be at the expense of one over the other -- forsaking tradition for progress -- but whatever it is, it's all part and parcel of humanity, not forsaking it. This includes our evolution, as even our destruction is an instrument of it.

chick,
    Of course the way of the world is what it is.
    And we do enjoy much of what the evolutions of science and technology has developed.

The hunger I am referring to is for things that can't be produced by anything but the human spirit.

LIKE truth, peace, honesty, altruism and harmony.
    We may hunger for it and maybe the world hungers..but that hunger is too busy buying to really produce much of the above.
    Life isn't about getting thru the storm but learning to dance in the rain.

i thought that hunger exists only in romania,africa etc.
    i was wrong ,in western countries exists as well.
    • Dum spiro, spero.
      • Translation: "As long as I breathe, I hope."

Quote Originally Posted by rdf
    I had always thought that the fall of the Roman Empire set back science/technology in the West. If not for that, there might be a cure to regenerate and make viable the injured spinal cord. The Romans and Greeks and Arabs were rather advanced in science and medicine. They even had catheters, albeit they were made of metal.

Same for the Chinese.

Just imagine all the knowledge in the world in Roman times. The library in Alexandria alone had much of the known science in the world in its tomes.

The Crusades had a huge impact on the West in this area, in that they jump-started science/technology in the West.

It's always been amazing to me that probably even 50 or 100,000 years ago there were humans who were much smarter than I'll ever be. You'd think that basic (born with) human intelligence would increase as time progresses, but I don't think that's true as a whole, across the spectrum.
    True, the Romans had a vast expanse of knowledge and technology at their disposal some of which we still use today but they didnt know the one thing which supposedly lead to their ultimate downfall. Drinking water through lead piping is poisonous. Thus the more advantaged in their society, ie the leaders and politicians were more likely to suffer deleterious ailments caused by lead poisoning and ultimately causing the collapse of their civilisation. Maybe there is a lesson there for us, possibly if we dont stop polluting our environment with technological byproducts that we can produce very easily but do not understand the intrinsics of, then this may prove to be our Achilles heel.
    I think the average human has become more intelligent though, IQ scores have been steadily rising across all groups for the last few decades. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flynn_effect
    I dont agree that human intelligence has devolved since the middle ages, to be able to function in our techological societies our brains are required to store a vast amount of information comparitively.