Page 17 of 21 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415161718192021 LastLast

Thread: What do you have to lose?

Quote Originally Posted by Leif
    Hi Eric, don’t know who you know, but that is not my experience, not at all if wanting to do some to do some.

I dont understand the "wanting to do some to do some" portion on your post but my point is basically that many researchers have pressure to show good results when so much money has be put towards there work.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric.S
    I dont understand the "wanting to do some to do some" portion on your post but my point is basically that many researchers have pressure to show good results when so much money has be put towards there work.
    Very true Eric!

Quote Originally Posted by bocasci
    I don't think money for a trial, in this case is the reason, if it were they wouldn't say they need several more years to get to clinical trial in humans. They would leave the door open if they were ready, so if money finally appeared they could go to trial. I see that other researchers credibility is not important here. You are actually saying the researchers lied because they couldn't get funding and therefore said their work wasn't ready. How do you know that?
    nice job trying to twist my words. what i said was that inosine showed tremendous promise for sci but the company that purchased rights to its use never took it to trial because they couldn't raise the capital. they have now purchased the rights to cethrin and are in the process of trying to raise the capital to further develop that. it all comes down to money. people act like operating a lab, paying technicians, assistants, researchers, covering the utilities, purchasing equipment and animals etc is free or that it can be done without money. small animal trials cost money, primate trials cost even more money and human trials cost millions. it costs approximately 800 million to move 1 treatment from bench to bedside. it's why researchers in all fields, not just sci, are raising the alarm about the impending nih cuts. if the feds put more limits on the number and extent of funding that researchers receive, especially those affiliated with universities, we'll see even more delays. as wise pointed out, young neuroscientists are abandoning the field in droves or refusing to enter it because the prospect of receiving adequate funding and government support are so bleak.

NIH cuts threaten research
    Last edited by antiquity; 06-15-2007 at 09:53 PM.

When you used the inosine affair you said its about the money. Were you not trying to say the same problem existed with the Parkinsons Monkey trial that prevented it from moving up to a trial in humans? I don't know much about the trial you mentioned with inosine. For all I know you may be right. I just didn't think it fair to conclude the same reasoning held true for the parkinsons monkey trial as the inosine.

When research grants are offered they maybe 300,000 a year for a period of a few years, some are larger. If the research money is scarce, we should make sure something is worthy of going to a 50-100 million dollar clinical trial. Could it be we should look into mini trials first?

Quote Originally Posted by antiquity
    nice job trying to twist my words. what i said was that inosine showed tremendous promise for sci but the company that purchased rights to its use never took it to trial because they couldn't raise the capital. they have now purchased the rights to cethrin and are in the process of trying to raise the capital to further develop that. it all comes down to money. people act like operating a lab, paying technicians, assistants, researchers, covering the utilities, purchasing equipment and animals etc is free or that it can be done without money. small animal trials cost money, primate trials cost even more money and human trials cost millions. it's why researchers in all fields, not just sci, are raising the alarm about the impending nih cuts. if the feds put more limits on the number and extent of funding researchers, especially those affiliated with universities, receive, we'll see even more delays. as wise pointed out, young neuroscientists are abandoning the field in droves or refusing to enter it because the prospect of receiving adequate funding and government support are so bleak.

NIH cuts threaten research
    Last edited by bocasci; 06-15-2007 at 10:12 PM.

ahoy. my two frends(c4,5) are going to see dr.lima today in florence italy, what do they have to lose? (back to the topic)

I heard some news from someone today of a company taking applications for mid thoracic chronic SCI human clinical trials here in the US that they plan on starting next year. This would make so much stuff in this thread null and void. It came from a very reputable source. What I want to know is why Dr. Young is not familiar with this. There could be many reasons.

A. This company has nothing or wants nothing to do w/ Dr. Young
    B. This company has secrets and does not want their multi- billion dollar patent to come out.

As many people as Dr. Young knows or is affiliated with he should 100% without a question know this. Maybe it's not his business to tell us. I am not disclosing the company information because to be frankly honest I think there is a lot of stringing along going on in this field left n right.

I will say this though. The chronic cure is not gonna come from

1. The Miami Project
    2. Dr. John MCDonald
    3. Dr. Keirstead. ( unless this was in 10 years )

It will come from left field and might or probably wont even be stem cells.

At one point on this wesite do we decide that we are all just being bull shitted?

Bc me where I come from, we don't believe a GD thing unless we see it. We don't buy the bull shit and can clearly read between the lines. We all have heard 1 million x what needs and does not need to be done.

If your not or cannot making a chronic rodent walk WHY THE FK ARE YOU DOING CLINICAL TRIALS? Please tell me, please I would like to know...

"you heard some news today and it came from a very reputable source, but you are not telling who"!! Give us all a fucking break!! Who is the bullshitter now? Sounds like you have been hanging around "you know who" for too long. This sounds just like the guy who was cured but wouldn't share who or what cured him....or something like that Let's all run around in circles trying to find out what secret you are not sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by spidergirl
    I heard some news from someone today of a company taking applications for mid thoracic chronic SCI human clinical trials here in the US that they plan on starting next year. This would make so much stuff in this thread null and void. It came from a very reputable source. What I want to know is why Dr. Young is not familiar with this. There could be many reasons.

A. This company has nothing or wants nothing to do w/ Dr. Young
    B. This company has secrets and does not want their multi- billion dollar patent to come out.

As many people as Dr. Young knows or is affiliated with he should 100% without a question know this. Maybe it's not his business to tell us. I am not disclosing the company information because to be frankly honest I think there is a lot of stringing along going on in this field left n right.

I will say this though. The chronic cure is not gonna come from

1. The Miami Project
    2. Dr. John MCDonald
    3. Dr. Keirstead. ( unless this was in 10 years )

It will come from left field and might or probably wont even be stem cells.

At one point on this wesite do we decide that we are all just being bull shitted?

Bc me where I come from, we don't believe a GD thing unless we see it. We don't buy the bull shit and can clearly read between the lines. We all have heard 1 million x what needs and does not need to be done.

If your not or cannot making a chronic rodent walk WHY THE FK ARE YOU DOING CLINICAL TRIALS? Please tell me, please I would like to know...
    Why would you not reveal the source or atleast the company? I can understand people in the business retaining info but why would a Sci keep info from other sci's.

I do agree with your statemtnts about the field thou. I mean as much as researchers are helping people we also have to understand that this is a business also and people aren't in this field for there health. And aside from the money alone there is the recognition and the windfall of grant money to be had for curing sci... Its ok to recogonize the doctors for the good that they are doing but we must also realize that there is competition in this field. I've heard stories of doctors scouting for info or bad mouthing competition just as in any field where there is a race for market share.

spider,

"I heard some news from someone today of a company taking applications for mid thoracic chronic SCI human clinical trials here in the US ..."

If they are taking applications, it's no secret, why not just name the company?

btw- the only company in the US that I am aware that has announced, is Geron, and they are testing around 75 acutes, as far as I'm aware.

Why don't we ask Dr. Young if he is familiar with any clinical trials for chronics possibly going on for chronics in the US before I do reveal the name?

Let's play a game of chess shall we?

Please guys don't jump down my throat like a jukespin, andy or a pruettskr who don't know the price of tea in China if it hit them on the head with a brick.