Thread: 10% Theory

Cool 10% Theory

Why when said that all of intact cord you need for full function is 10% out of 100%, that people with incomplete injuries dont function normally. An incomplete must have at least 10% still there? VS a complete which is 0%
    Attempting to understand this better.
    I am not your rolling wheels
    I am the highway
    I am not your carpet ride
    I am the sky
    I am not your blowing wind
    I am the lightning
    I am not your autumn moon
    I am the night, the night..

Quote Originally Posted by Stormycoon
    Why when said that all of intact cord you need for full function is 10% out of 100%, that people with incomplete injuries dont function normally. An incomplete must have at least 10% still there? VS a complete which is 0%
    Attempting to understand this better.
    Stormy,

I am not sure where you got the definition "all of intact cord you need for full function is 10% out of 100%." I don't think that I or anybody has claimed that 10% of the spinal cord is sufficient to restore normality or "full function".

What is clear is that about 10% of the spinal cord is usually necessary and sufficient for locomotion with minimal assistance. This is not "normal" or full function. Also, "normal" differs from person to person. For some people, running a marathon is "normal". For others, running five miles is "normal". I am afraid that I am not normal, if running five miles without stopping is considered normal, even though i don't think that I have ever suffered spinal cord injury.

Please also don't take the 10% so precisely. It is *approximately* 10%. This is something that is estimated at surgery or from MRI scans, both of which are notoriously inaccurate. At surgery, there is no way to clearly estimating how much spinal cord is left. Even on MRI, you cannot visualized axons (they are too small). Be sensible.

Wise.