Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Any gardeners here?

You have to put pics up at a hosting site e.g. photobuckets.com. The site gives you some code, you put the code on CC and voila! Pics appear in your post.

LOVE those horse tank for gardens, envy all that concrete!

I only have a flower bed in my front yard which isn't big...I'm guessing 5'x3'...been throwing seeds in amoung the rose brushes for years...I plant tomato brushes every year...I put in six strawberry plants this year...seeds like radishes, lettuce, string beans, peas, collar greens, etc...Whatever comes up is a blessing...I'm eating lettuce that came up from last year...I have catnip that comes up every year and has spread to every crack in the driveway and the backyard...My cat has been quite happy rolling in it...lol...Just can't get rid of it...
    One year not one of my tomato turned red...my friend, Jean and I were making green fried tomatos almost every day...I mostly end up giving most of it away since I grow so much...

I manage a small organic fruit and vegetable farm. We have about 3 acres and 5000 ft.² of greenhouses. We grow tomatoes, blackberries, raspberries, onions, squash, zucchini, okra and a few herbs. We planted 160 peach trees this year. We go to farmers market as well as sell to a couple of grocery stores here. I first became interested in organic farming while working for Whole Foods market in the early nineties. It's quite a challenge to keep up with the weeds and damaging insects without herbicides and pesticides but it's something I really enjoy. I usually run the batteries down in my power chair most days during the growing season.

I'm partners with my brother who is a firefighter. My 20 year old son is with us for his final year before he moves off to Lubbock next spring to go to school. My dad also helps a lot when he is not working his full-time job.

Amarillogal, our farm is in River Road just inside the city limits in North Amarillo. By the way that's really a cool way to make a raised bed garden.

Awesome Garden!! how are you keeping the catepillars out of the garden? We can't seem to keep them from eating everything.

Quote Originally Posted by amarillogal
    Awesome Garden!! how are you keeping the catepillars out of the garden? We can't seem to keep them from eating everything.
    We use a product called Bacillus Thuringiensis or BT for short which is a naturally occurring biological insecticide. It's very effective. Here's a link to an online Garden supply retailer that gives a decent short explanation of how it works. http://homeharvest.com/bt.htm Google the name for more in-depth info if you're interested. I believe Coulter Gardens carries the same brand and I would imagine that Pete's greenhouse does too. Good luck.

I'm not a gardener but I planted tomatoes this year for the first time since I was a kid. I'm in a duplex with a small yard so I used containers. I planted 4 Big Boy plants and 6 Beefsteaks. Only one plant didn't make it and I have at least a dozen small tomatoes already, a couple decent sized. I'm really stoked to get fresh 'maters off the vine this year!

I keep it simple but enjoy tomatoes in container gardening. Love the sandwiches, mayo , salt & pepper. My generous neighbors keep me in fresh veggies most of the summer. Here are tomatoes about 10 days ago, shouldn't be long now.

Quote Originally Posted by ChesBay
    I keep it simple but enjoy tomatoes in container gardening. Love the sandwiches, mayo , salt & pepper. My generous neighbors keep me in fresh veggies most of the summer. Here are tomatoes about 10 days ago, shouldn't be long now.
    Nice containers. How many gallons are they? Mine are probably about 5 gal. Now that I've done it once, container gardening (at least for tomatoes) is the way to go. No digging, easy to water & feed, no weeds. I now have over 25 green 'uns of various sizes, they seem to be popping up at an almost scary rate. Hope they're not killer tomatoes....

My Tomatoes and Peppers are huge, I used this stuff from Burpee called Seamagic, it's organic, and made from seaweed. Everything i put it on is doing fantastic. Cheap too, a package makes 50 gallons. Scary stuff, I'm thinking of drinking it myself, maybe it will cure my wrecked spine, I guess you don't know unless you try.

Quote Originally Posted by Hellonwheels
    Nice containers. How many gallons are they? Mine are probably about 5 gal. Now that I've done it once, container gardening (at least for tomatoes) is the way to go. No digging, easy to water & feed, no weeds. I now have over 25 green 'uns of various sizes, they seem to be popping up at an almost scary rate. Hope they're not killer tomatoes....
    Thanks for the comment. I am only guessing but, I have always thought my containers were about 5 gallons. This is my third year in containers and I agree it is a great way to go. I can micro manage them.

We are in a similar climate if you are out in Roanake. In this hot weather they suck up the water and I think especially in the containers. If you're up to 25 already you've got some good eating coming your way. Last year I ate first red tomato on July 4th. I think it will be earlier this year...

Enjoy!