Thread: Advice on long distance cycling

Advice on long distance cycling

For those of you who have been hand cycling for a while I was wondering how do you handle having to cath when on a long ride. I'm hoping to do 100mi later this summer but the cathing issue sounds like it's going to be a pain.
    Any ideas?
    What do you use for a seat cushion on your bike?
    Thanks.

The furthest I have ridden in one day is 87 miles as part of a trip from the south west corner of England to the Northeast corner of Scotland. We averaged about 60 miles a day and I either just relied on the external catheter connected to a leg bag and did not cath or just found a discreet spot slightly off the road to catheterise. I carried small bottles of sterile water to lubricate the single use catheters and latex gloves to allow me to catheterise cleanly into a bottle whilst still on the bike.
    As for a cushion I used the one shown at this site:

http://www.gerald-simonds.co.uk/acat...1_GS_AARC.html

It is the best strap on cushion I could find. It straps on to you so that if you need to get off the bike to fix a puncture or for another reason, the cushion stays on you rather than on the bike.

For cushions I use a low profile roho. I have been on long bike rides before, and this has been my saving grace as far as my butt was concerned.
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot nothing's going to get better. It's not." - Dr. Seuss

Adrian, thanks for the info. That cushion looks like it would be quit useful for when I'm out of my chair trying to do whatever.

Wheelie, I have a low profile roho but it's not the right size for my bike. I'm looking at the Supracor Sport cushion.

Hey, this is a really ol d thread but i will post anyway incase people are browsing.I put in an indwelling with leg bag for bike rides,and pull over in some nice bushes when it is full. Of course I am really self coscious about strangers seing my pee bag so this presents problems in a race environment, where `officials come rushing to see if you are ok as soon as yoiu stop! For those non handcyclists, the main probblem here is that ou dont have your wheelchair with you mid way through a ride for a pit stop.Before doing the leg bag I once took my bike in a public loo and cathed on the floor, but was pretty exhausting.I even crawlled on the floor into a disabled loo once, but then couldnt get onto the loo from the floor .......had to use a waterbottle and toss it.ah the joys!

I do intermittent catheterization and was wondering about this topic as well. Since I normally cath every 2-3 hours, I want a way to deal with the issue on long rides or races.

I do not use a leg bag but was wondering if it would be possible to leave an intermittent cath in for a few hours and attach it to a leg bag. I was thinking of just taping it in place to keep it from coming out.

If you go to the freedom ryder site, there is a guy who holds the 24 hour handcycling mileage record. I am sure he has significant saddle time and ideas of managing catheterization. You could contact him.
    Jon

Quote Originally Posted by My395 View Post
    I do intermittent catheterization and was wondering about this topic as well. Since I normally cath every 2-3 hours, I want a way to deal with the issue on long rides or races.

I do not use a leg bag but was wondering if it would be possible to leave an intermittent cath in for a few hours and attach it to a leg bag. I was thinking of just taping it in place to keep it from coming out.
    I use an indwelling foley and bag on those. Usually when I'm doing long training runs I'm alone so I don't worry about niceties. Very little discomfort, maybe a tickle when i hit a bump.

Also , if training hard you are going to sweat away most of your excess moisture, so you wont discharge that much.

pm for more info.

Brock

I guess for the guys you could do it the way some offroaders do it. Condom cath with a tube attached that goes thru the floor of the vehicle, except without the floor