Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Zapped

Hola Kendell, sorry to hear that your getting lightning bolts tossed at ya, I hate it when that happens. We lose power every time there's a breeze or a squirrel lights up, and when the weather starts getting rough I have to unplug my computer. It sounds like you need to throw open the switches on the sonic oscillator, and step up the reactor power input three more points! I hope you are able to revive your computer, maybe you should call Dr. Furter for some specialty work. Good luck!
    De Omnibus Dubitandum

Quote Originally Posted by McDuff
    Keps - yes it is a very well known fact that lightning and computers don't play well together. It can enter your house on any external wire "source"(electric, cable, phone, etc). Some form of protection is needed, the most common being a surge protector. Even laptops can get it while being charged. Yup, that crackling sound is the famous "death rattle" of a computer burning up.
    Oops - it wasn't known to me and my bf.
    Ah, so that sound was the computer.
    Seeing you mention the phone - I think the lightning must have come through our phone line. My bf picked the phone up just after the strike, and the line was dead.
    Looks like we should get a surge protector.

Guess what? I got a brand new computer, thanks to a good friend of ours. Guess what??? Twenty minutes after setting it up, going through set-up, etc., I did a basic, routine update with Norton which required restarting the computer, left the room for a minute, and came back to a computer that was still running but a monitor that was blank. And has remained blank despite many hours spent on the phone with HP tech support , a bazillion diagnostic tests run, and doing a complete System Recovery with the discs they sent me.

Told ya the computer gods hate me...

Will be returning it tomorrow and begin considering other options. I don't know if the problem I had has anything to do with the new and improved Windows Vista , but I have to say this experience made me skittish. I"m thinking of looking for a rebuilt puter with XP instead this time. Would have taken it back already, but I"ve also had the fun of dealing with plenty of other issues including both my car and Debbie's van breaking down - thus far to the tune of over 1500 dollars.. and counting.

Such is life, but tis getting just a bit old. Even my sonic oscillator is brokeded, MycO.

Quote Originally Posted by Kendell
    Will be returning it tomorrow and begin considering other options. I don't know if the problem I had has anything to do with the new and improved Windows Vista , but I have to say this experience made me skittish. I"m thinking of looking for a rebuilt puter with XP instead this time. Would have taken it back already, but I"ve also had the fun of dealing with plenty of other issues including both my car and Debbie's van breaking down - thus far to the tune of over 1500 dollars.. and counting.
    *sigh*

When it rains, it pours, doesn't it. Hopefully the blank screen was just something wrong with the monitor. Good luck with your puter, Kendell
    Daniel

Blog Entries
    plug your OLD monitor into the new computer, then you will know a lot more

Geez Kendall that is really too bad about the new computer

It is hard to say what caused it because it could be so many things. It sounds more like a hardware issue if all you get is a blank screen, such as a bad motherboard, rather than a software issue like Vista going haywire on you. It could also be the monitor. Do you have any means of testing the monitor on another machine?

Those damn computer gods do seem to get a lot of fun out of messing with people, don't they?

Anyways, hope you get one that works and are back online soon

Bills paid and checking in one more time before I gotta split. Didn't expect three responses so fast.

Dan, thanks for the support. I'm hoping that all the rain means there is a rainbow in sight and maybe a pot of gold lurking somewhere.

Capn G., I really really really really REALLY wish you lived around here as I suspect you could diagnose the problem in five seconds flat unlike the douchebags at HP support. I dont' think the problem is in my monitor. I had it hooked up to an old puter that I could only play games on and it worked fine. Never had a problem before with it through two other puters, and it was working with the new computer until whatever happened happened. Somehow the signal between the computer and the monitor seems to be getting interrupted. I could be wrong, and I did consider hooking up my old monitor but frankly I dont' want to risk it's life, too, if the same thing happened to it. I'd rather take the computer back, find another, and if I still have a problem with the monitor, then I"ll try the old monitor.

OJ, good to see you and hope all is well in your world. Hey, I'll be back. Sooner or later, I'll put it all together and make it work. In the meantime, I'll just pout a lot cause I miss you guys.

I was on my laptop iBook last week when a thunderstorm went overhead.

After a couple of nearby strikes, my batter usage meter showed I had 1478 hours left!

After a restart, everything was ok, it's never happened before.

Simon.

It would be incorrect to say that my old computer is up and running, or that my new computer ever decided to interact with my monitor. However.. I did get sick to death of screwing with the brand-new computer that wouldn't work, gave it back to Walmart, and -after some consideration for a few days - ended up buying a new Dell computer that (so far, knock on wood and say a few prayers please!) is working just fine!

I'm baaaaaaaack!

Oh No! There goes the neighborhood.

Welcome back.

Aren't computers a pita when they don't work? Now don't let this one get zotted.
    "a T10, who'd Rather be ridin'; than rollin'"