Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Raced a Marathon in Vermont on Sunday and won in my division

Raced a Marathon in Vermont on Sunday and won in my division

Finished Second overall with a time of 2 hours and 15 seconds. I could not touch the guy who won the race as he had full use of his abs (low level para, compared to me being a high level para) but it was a lot of fun. It was a total of 26 miles 385 yards. The guy who won in his division with the overall best time (Patrick Standen) did the race in an impressive 1 hour 45 minutes. I was impressed, there was a C7 quad (Andy from Bike-On) who did 2 hours 20 minutes with a broken brake cable, amazing.

http://www.runpix.info/vmt07/46/fino...ee&lan=&aset=0

I'll post pictures when they become available. The race was in Burlington, VT. Beautiful up there.
    Last edited by Curt Leatherbee; 05-30-2007 at 12:18 AM.

You pushed 26 miles? You could have finished last and I'd be impressed...wow! Good job!

Yep, on a Handcycle, was shooting for under 2 hours so I just missed my goal by 16 seconds. I would have made my goal if it had not been for a public works truck blocking the entire bike path the final 5 mile stretch which set me back at least 30 seconds to a minute, I could not believe it, plus myself and 2 other riders got a little lost and went about a mile out of our way at around the half way point due to the course being poorly marked, so I figure I lost 5 minutes or so there. I rode my Varna Handcycle, it is a good race cycle for me and I am very comfortable on it. The second half of the race I was really flying, the first half I got off to kind of a slow start, I felt kinda bloated that day, but it seemed to go away after I got moving for a while. Must have been all the bumps shook the gas out of me , god bless the 10,000 runners behind me . We started 5 minutes before the runners and I think the first runner was about a 20 minutes behind me when I crossed the finish line. I never got tangled up with any runners.
    Last edited by Curt Leatherbee; 05-30-2007 at 12:30 AM.

Wow Curt. Well done. Do you train a lot?
    C5/6 incomplete

"I assume you all have guns and crack....."

Cool Wow!

Great job! WOW thats fantastic Your a stud Curt!
    “If everybody's thinking alike, somebody isn't thinking.” Gen. Patton

wow! Awesome! How was the course? Pretty flat or lots of hills? I do the MS bike tour...and the hills kill me and my shoulder!

Pretty awesome accomplishment! Way to go!
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot nothing's going to get better. It's not." - Dr. Seuss

Cool, Curt. Congratulations!! I would so love to handcycle. Someday, maybe.

Thumbs up

Curt,

Absolutley AWESOME!

I've been riding since last Sept. but had to put the bike away for the winter. I've ridin' 132 miles so far this year. I can ride 23.45 miles in about 2 hours 15 minutes. But that is with a lot of hills and crossing a lot of busy rodes.

Keep up the great work. You going to give it a try again next year? I'm sure you'll be looking to crush the time you just accomplished.

Eddie

Outstanding Curt, you have alot to be proud of. That is a real accomplishment.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzie Q
    Great job! WOW thats fantastic Your a stud Curt!
    I concur!
    Get involved in politics as if your life depended on it, because it does. -- Justin Dart

I shall not tolerate ignorance or hate speech on this site.