Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wheels For Mountain Bike Tires??

Wheels For Mountain Bike Tires??

Does anyone here have mountain bike tires mounted on Spinergy wheels? I have a set mounted on steel wire spoke wheels. They are very heavy and I use them almost daily. Is it possible to get bike tires on a Spinergy or similar wheel? I assume it is not going to be as simple as buying a 24" set of tires and a set of 24" wheels. Thanks to anyone who has thoughts or information on the matter.
    -Bake
    Last edited by Bake; 05-29-2007 at 09:23 AM.

While I do not have mountain bike tires on my spinergies, I have seen them on other people's. It is possible...but I do not know what size tire you would need. Captn Gimp or SCI_OTR would definitely know.
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot nothing's going to get better. It's not." - Dr. Seuss

make sure the etrto number matches the rim size - like my normal tyres are 540, but i bought a set of offroads that were marked 24" and dont fit on my rims because theyre 507. theyre larger in heights, so add up to the same as 24, so they dont mess with your angles.

Lightbulb MTB tires on 25" Spox

Bake -
    I have had mountain bike tires in my 25" Spinergy Spox.

25" wheelchair tires are the same size as what are called 26" mountain bike tires. They both have an ISO (formerly "ETRTO") size of 559.

It is as simple as buying a set of 559 wheels and 559 tires. There are lots of MTB tires available for 559 wheels.

Like amyk said, make sure you go by the ISO (etrto) size of the wheels/tires.

For great information on tire sizing see the Sheldon Brown website. (Thanks to Capngimp for originally showing me the link.)

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by steeeve
    Bake -
    I have had mountain bike tires in my 25" Spinergy Spox.

25" wheelchair tires are the same size as what are called 26" mountain bike tires. They both have an ISO (formerly "ETRTO") size of 559.

It is as simple as buying a set of 559 wheels and 559 tires. There are lots of MTB tires available for 559 wheels.

Like amyk said, make sure you go by the ISO (etrto) size of the wheels/tires.

For great information on tire sizing see the Sheldon Brown website. (Thanks to Capngimp for originally showing me the link.)

Steve
    exactly. 559 is the mountain bike tire size which in reality is 25 inch but is sometimes refered to as a 26 inch. It gets confusing. But yes, just buy 559 wheels and 559 tires. I have 559 on my handcycle and on my wheelchair. I wanted 650's on my handcycle, but the guy who sold me the rims made a mistake and I ended up with the 559's and just left it at that even though there is a better street tire selection for the 650's.

from Spinergy's mouth:

http://www.spinergy.com/Wheelchair/FaqTech.aspx

20" wheels = "451"
    22" wheels = "501"
    24" wheels = "540"
    25" wheels = "559"
    26" wheels = "590"
    700c wheels = "622"

get 25" wheels to run any standard size mtb tires.

i need to get a set of 507 rims so i can use my mtb tyres without changing my angles (theyre 50-507, whereas my everyday are 25-540). im looking at kendas on sportaid.com, they make both wide and narrow knoobies that are (i think) 37-540 so theyll make my rear stf a bit higher, but not much.

True about the angles. I run 24" spinergys right now but am looking to swap my xcores (25") w/ mtb tires on for some stuff this summer. They'll raise the rear height up a little more than an inch, making the chair a little tippy in the front (been there done that already), so I'll likely end up getting a set of 6" casters to swap in place of the current 4" ones I'm running at the moment, which will effectively raise the front height up an inch as well... and then everything from there is gravy.

Quote Originally Posted by wheeliecoach
    While I do not have mountain bike tires on my spinergies, I have seen them on other people's. It is possible...but I do not know what size tire you would need. Captn Gimp or SCI_OTR would definitely know.
    Thanks wheeliecoach, but MBT's on wheelchair wheels has me as confused as anyone else.

FWIW, TiLite only offers a knobby with a 25x1 (559) Spinergy. Top End offer knobbys on both 24x1 and 25x1 Spinergys. Both manufacturer's use the 2" wide grey Kenda unidirectional knobby's which have a rather hard compound and a bumpy ride on smooth surfaces.

My biggest concerns when I work with someone considering knobbys for everyday use are increased rolling resistance and decreased access to the push rim. I've tried a 16x15 Crossfire titanium with 25x1 (559) Spinergy's and 25x2 (50-559) knobbys which rolled like a tank. Getting up to speed required considerable effort and it barely coasted. On the other hand, I tried several A4's with 24x1.75 (47-507) knobbys on basic Sun AT18 rims and which seemed to roll better--despite the heavier wheel and a push rim which seemed to be about the same diameter as that on a 22" wheel.

A softer compound 1.75" wide knobby on a 24" Spinergy may be the ideal combination, but I don't know for a fact that such a tire exists. While the local bike shop might have it, I need to go through suppliers who have jumped through all the hoops required to do business with Uncle Sam.

Bottom line? With the exception of durability, MBT's may negate many of the benefits of having Spinergys in the first place.

Thanks to all of you for the information and links. It seems I was given some bad information that had me very confused. I think I am still a little confused but at least I have a starting point now. What gets me is the 24x1 3/8 tire size. These have an ISO of 547 I think. I have been told in the past that only that exact size tire will work on the 24" Spinergy wheels that I have. However, someone else told me that I could replace them with a 24x1" tire. I bought a set of 24x1" (540) Schwalbe tires and they mounted just fine. So is there a difference in 540 and 547 wheels or not??? I have no idea but my new tires haven't given me any trouble. Does this mean that I could use a 24x1.95 BMX tire on the same wheel if I so desired? Thanks again to all of you for taking the time to respond.
    -Bake
    Last edited by Bake; 05-30-2007 at 12:01 PM.