Page 7 of 26 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Quads pushing manual chairs

Quote Originally Posted by Davey
    Wow! I just looked at your picture a few posts back and couldn't even tell you were disabled. Must have been since you were in a manual chair .

Seriously though...I just don't understand why so many think they don't look "as disabled" pushing a manual instead of using a powerchair. If you can use one great -- costs less, easy to transport, etc. -- but look less disabled? I don't think so.
    -- David
    ok davey. thats fine u feel that way. but its very obvious ppl in pc look much more crippled. ask any ab and most other wheelers, they will agree w/ me.

for all u guys working hard for your since of self. never give up, you will achieve.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Quote Originally Posted by fuentejps
    ok davey. thats fine u feel that way. but its very obvious ppl in pc look much more crippled. ask any ab and most other wheelers, they will agree w/ me.
    fuente, you know, you give some good advice on here sometimes, but on issues like this you're just so full of crap. I know we'll never agree on this and that's OK, especially with your "obvious" scientific evidence you provide with "ask any ab and most wheelers" . If you really think that proves anything, then good for you. Ask any AB and most wheelers and they'll agree with me -- that you're full of crap. See, I can do that too. It seems to me that "most wheelers" that agree with you also seem to be the ones pushing manual chairs. I guess that wouldn't have anything to do with their reply, would it?

I'm just not so caught up in what makes you or me or scorpion or scott look more or less "crippled". I'm interested in how each of us tackle the crap that's been thrown our way each day. It's kind of sad that you continually choose to base so much on how "crippled" we look. I've been injured for 31 years, married for 22, father of a 21 year old son, run a software development consulting business for 20 -- all the while, according to you, looking all kind of "crippled". I'll try to find a way to keep going on without fuente's approval .

Quote Originally Posted by fuentejps
    for all u guys working hard for your since of self. never give up, you will achieve.
    Good advice, but also remember guys, that not being able to do everything you need to do with a manual chair and using a powerchair should NOT be considered a failure.

-- David
    Last edited by Davey; 06-01-2007 at 12:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion
    You say you're C-4/5 incomplete, but what is your functional level, David? You've got to have at least wrist extensors to be independent, so you're at least a C-6 functionally?

As I said before, I fractured C-5 but caall myself C-6 incomplete. I'm incomplete because I have sensation everywhere.
    I'm not real sure what my official functional level is. I have wrist extensors, some tricep, and some finger movement on my right, but none of that on my left arm. I have almost normal sensation everywhere and have some movement in my legs. Cannot feel hot or cold below injury level. When my back isn't screwed up, I can also stand with help balancing. So I'm a mixed bag with age and 31 years starting to take its toll . Damn back pain! I do know this, however -- when I'm in a manual chair I look like one "crippled" son-of-a-bitch .

-- David

I use e-motion wheels, but also have a set of regular manual wheels. While I was at rehab, I began by using a power chair; after about a month and a half they decided to let me "trial" a manual chair with the emotion wheels during an occupational therapy session. That was the last day that I used a power chair. I literally refused to get back in the power chair. I felt so free and more like myself. I hadn't even realized how heavy and big the power chair had made me feel. Being in a manual chair made me feel less handicapped and made me feel like I looked less helpless to other people.

Everyone was happy with my decision and saw it as a positive step in the right direction. I have limited triceps, a weak grip and good wrist extension. As far as transfers go, I'm finally getting them done. It takes time, but it will come.

Although, if you're worried about transfers for driving while using a manual chair, there's a really neat locking system option too. It makes it so that your manual chair can lock right into the driver [or any] seat in a modified minivan [reg. van too maybe]. Involves putting a lock on your chair and a mechanism in the van.

C5/6inc
    20yrsold
    injured 11mo.

Quote Originally Posted by infinity
    I use e-motion wheels, but also have a set of regular manual wheels. While I was at rehab, I began by using a power chair; after about a month and a half they decided to let me "trial" a manual chair with the emotion wheels during an occupational therapy session. That was the last day that I used a power chair. I literally refused to get back in the power chair. I felt so free and more like myself. I hadn't even realized how heavy and big the power chair had made me feel. Being in a manual chair made me feel less handicapped and made me feel like I looked less helpless to other people.

Everyone was happy with my decision and saw it as a positive step in the right direction. I have limited triceps, a weak grip and good wrist extension. As far as transfers go, I'm finally getting them done. It takes time, but it will come.

Although, if you're worried about transfers for driving while using a manual chair, there's a really neat locking system option too. It makes it so that your manual chair can lock right into the driver [or any] seat in a modified minivan [reg. van too maybe]. Involves putting a lock on your chair and a mechanism in the van.

C5/6inc
    20yrsold
    injured 11mo.
    great. u wont regret that decision. work hard and dont be afraid to fall it will happen
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com

Quote Originally Posted by Davey
    Wow! I just looked at your picture a few posts back and couldn't even tell you were disabled. Must have been since you were in a manual chair
    hey davey, you're an a--hole.

look at the title of the thread... noone cares how much you've accomplished in your power chair, so f--- off
    "All of us are all too stuck strapped to a chair watching our lives blow up..."

Quote Originally Posted by jbinny

look at the title of the thread... noone cares how much you've accomplished in your power chair, so f--- off
    A little bit of an over reaction don't ya think. And what is that rule about not attacking other members?

BTW, I did see the title of the thread and this subject has been discussed many times -- do a search -- with the same players. I'm not trying to offend anyone here and if I offended you, I apologize. My comment about your picture was to try to make a point that we all look, as fuente puts it, "crippled" no matter what we're sitting in. You're a fine looking guy and it seems like you're happy with the choices you've made, and that's a great thing. I'm only trying to show that there are other options than fuente's single-minded, black-and-white option and not pushing a manual chair is not failure. People coming here asking for the pluses and minuses regarding pushing a manual chair should get both sides of the argument, don't ya think? You don't have to agree with me, but you also don't need to call me an a--hole and tell me to f--- off.

-- David

Quote Originally Posted by jbinny

LOL. GOOD STUFF. THIS KID HAS BALLS. HE WILL DO GREAT.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com

I'm in agreement with Fuente. I feel less disabled and think I look less disabled in a manual chair. People ask me why I don't get a power chair. I tell them this is the only exercise I get and would weigh 400 pounds if I wasn't pushing. I also like riding on my manual chair cruising on the flat surfaces and down hills as opposed to riding in a power chair. Except in the rain of course. Then I whish I was in my 8 mph power chair.....

Manual or power,i make either look sexy!

Im c5/6 complete and i far prefer to push,i dont know about looking less disabled...but i feel i occupy less space.