Page 6 of 26 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 251

Thread: Quads pushing manual chairs

  1. #51
    Senior Member Scorpion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    5,899
    Quote Originally Posted by fuentejps
    i,m inc c4/5 no triceps.
    No, you're a functional C-6. When will you get that? Injury level is not functional level. This has been posted to you repeatedly. Calling yourself a C-4/5 is just wrong and it only serves your ego--you help no one by giving false information. If you're truly tying to encourage and help, then you need to be accurate and truthful in what you post. Otherwise, you're just patting yourself on the back and not helping anyone. I fractured C-5, but when someone asks me "what's your level?" I answer C-6, because they want and need to know at what level I function, not where I broke my neck. If some specifically asks my injury level, I'll say C-5, but I function as a C-6. The difference in function between a C-5 and a C-6 is huge. I am independent, and a lot of C-6 quads can be independent but don't realize it or haven't tried, this is true. But, I have never known of a functional C-5 (no wrist extension) who is independent, and I don't think it's possible to be completely independent at a C-5.

    RE: Original Post: That said, in response to the first post here, someone functioning as a C-6 should definitely try to push a manual chair, even if they eventually decide a power chair will be best in the long run. It will be very hard at first, but there's a good chance you'll build enough strength to do it full-time, and this will also aid in strength and balance for possible independent transfers. A functional C-5 can push some, but it may be very inefficient. As a C-5/6 there is a lot of variation in what kind of strength, so whether or not you can use a manual chair full-time and/or transfer independently is not certain. But you won't know unless you try... and try and try, try and then do or do not.

  2. #52
    im a lucky inc c4/5. to be c6 u need at least trace tri's, i have none .
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

  3. #53
    Senior Member Scorpion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    5,899
    Quote Originally Posted by fuentejps
    im a lucky inc c4/5. to be c6 u need at least trace tri's, i have none .
    No, you don't. C-6 = wrists extensors, no triceps, not even a trace. Triceps start at C-7. Look it up.
    Last edited by Scorpion; 05-31-2007 at 09:26 PM. Reason: Edited out redundant info I already posted.

  4. #54
    I push with my palms and do my stopping and turning with my wrists. Functionally I am mostly C-5 with a little C6 sparing on my right side. I Push the Colours Eclipse with Spinergies and some kind of rubber coated hand rub that they use on the rugby chairs.
    I say for getting your first manual chair, visit a sports wheelchair shop that deals with a lot of quads in manual chairs. The place I go to for chair adjustments and supplies is the same place that provides all the rugby chairs for the Phoenix Heat. I'm not fully independent in my chair, but it feels a lot better to push around with a little bit of help than it does to be in a power chair (and I'm a hell of a lot healthier).
    C-5/6, 7-9-2000
    Scottsdale, AZ

    Make the best out of today because yesterday is gone and tomorrow may never come. Nobody knows that better than those of us that have almost died from spinal cord injury.

  5. #55
    Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion
    No, you don't. C-6 = wrists extensors, no triceps, not even a trace. Triceps start at C-7. Look it up.
    please explain... weak tris, very very little wrist x ... 4/5 inc ... i should tell people i'm a 7?
    "All of us are all too stuck strapped to a chair watching our lives blow up..."

  6. #56
    Senior Member Scorpion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    5,899
    Quote Originally Posted by jbinny
    please explain... weak tris, very very little wrist x ... 4/5 inc ... i should tell people i'm a 7?
    It depends on what you mean by "weak tris", but it sounds like you're a functional C-5/6 because you have some wrist extension, maybe a C-6 or a weak C-6/7. Your triceps would need to be graded at a 3 or above (on a scale of 0 - 5) to be considered a C-7, as I understand it. Your functional level is based on the lowest functioning muscle group graded a 3 or higher, which means you can contract that muscle against some resistance. KLD or someone else might be able to explain it better.

  7. #57
    Quote Originally Posted by jbinny
    please explain... weak tris, very very little wrist x ... 4/5 inc ... i should tell people i'm a 7?
    Wow! I just looked at your picture a few posts back and couldn't even tell you were disabled. Must have been since you were in a manual chair .

    Seriously though...I just don't understand why so many think they don't look "as disabled" pushing a manual instead of using a powerchair. If you can use one great -- costs less, easy to transport, etc. -- but look less disabled? I don't think so. I know this has been discussed many times before (with threads degrading into battles between scorpion and fuente), but I think it's what functionality we have and how we use what we've got, whether it's a manual or power chair, that we get judged by. Been hurt 31 years, C4/5 incomplete, always used a powerchair, still independent and I'm 10 minutes down the road before fuente gets in his car.

    -- David

  8. #58
    Senior Member Scorpion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    5,899
    Quote Originally Posted by Davey
    ...but I think it's what functionality we have and how we use what we've got, whether it's a manual or power chair, that we get judged by.
    I agree. And while I use a manual chair, I drive a van from my chair, and I can go more places in a day, and faster, than a quad who transfers in/out and drives a car. That's cool if that's what they prefer, but I prefer to save my time and energy for other things. Not to mention I stay cleaner and don't get all sweaty.

    You say you're C-4/5 incomplete, but what is your functional level, David? You've got to have at least wrist extensors to be independent, so you're at least a C-6 functionally?

    As I said before, I fractured C-5 but caall myself C-6 incomplete. I'm incomplete because I have sensation everywhere.

  9. #59
    Senior Member Ashley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    St. Louis, Missouri
    Posts
    1,944
    i think when people feel they look more disabled in a pc, it's because there's more machinery/mechanisms surrounding you than in a manual. Your body language is a lot different in a pc as well because you're not displaying as much motion as you would in a manual chair. i'm injured at c5, but have wrists, one total tricep, one iffy tricep. i've used emotion since rehab and am now getting a full manual chair. wish me luck!

  10. #60
    Good Luck Ash!!!
    Steve
    C5-6 Feb 05

Similar Threads

  1. quads in manual chairs: opening doors?
    By Cspine in forum Life
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 11-27-2012, 12:40 AM
  2. Replies: 14
    Last Post: 09-14-2006, 03:42 PM
  3. New Wheelchair Automatically Senses 'Push' Required
    By antiquity in forum Equipment
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 07-05-2006, 02:31 PM
  4. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 11-24-2002, 03:50 PM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-04-2002, 03:29 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •