Page 20 of 26 FirstFirst ... 1011121314151617181920212223242526 LastLast

Thread: Quads pushing manual chairs

it was nice meeting u as well scott. your welcome anytime. the difference about me and some of the pussies on here is im exactly the same in person.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Pruett
    okay, so only the top part of Ohio is stupid flat. I retract my previous statement.

& yes, I met the infamous fuente... real nice guy, just speaks his mind.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

From a small cabin in the big woods of The Allegheny National Forest, PA
    I live at 1,800 feet. On dirt and gravel roads. When I leave my cabin my gravel road climbs 12 feet in 20 yards. The dirt road then drops 40 feet in 45 yards. When I hit the main road its a 140 foot drop to the bottom of the hill. Make a right its a 45 foot climb until it levels off.

Theres no manual way. Although I would like to try a manual chair, I have Heterotrophic Ossification in my hip that keeps my hip from bending, making it very difficult to transfer. I am going to need a operation to remove the calcification

Someday hopefully!!

MAC
    C 5/6 Comp.
    No Tri's or hand function.

Far better it is to try mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure. Than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much or suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory or defeat.

Teddy Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by fuentejps
    the difference about me and some of the pussies on here is im exactly the same in person.
    That is one of your statements I will agree with.

A question for C-5 pushers...

For quads who function at the C5 level and are in manual wheelchairs, how do you perform weight shifts?

Quote Originally Posted by doingtimeonmyass
    For quads who function at the C5 level and are in manual wheelchairs, how do you perform weight shifts?
    Not at C5 (C6, no triceps or wrist flexors but good wrist extensors) but if you cannot do a push-up, just leaning forward on your knees should be enough no (even better if you lift the butt in that position, easy if you go forward enough, be careful not to tip though)?
    Pharmacist, C4-5 injury but functional C6 (no triceps/flexors)

Quote Originally Posted by doingtimeonmyass
    I find something like a wall or table to lean against...or put my hands in my spokes and lean all the way until my cheek comes up....getting out of the chair 4 times a day and into the car is a great help as well. I have found that the change in surfaces has really toughened my butt up...last week my roho went flat... I noticed it when I transferred after work many hours later...never felt a thing and I always know when I need to shift
    C5-6 - 22 years

Quote Originally Posted by forestranger52
    How do Quads push manual chairs? I am C5/6, no triceps, hands and fingers don't work.
    VA tossed me in a used power chair and that was it. My thumbs are always in the way. How do you keep thumbs from getting caught in the rims? How do your hands hold on to the rims? Tired off being limited with this large power chair. Am working hard to build enough muscles to transfer.
    I'm familiar with quad knobs. Kind of tacky. E-motions sound great in this forum.
    Need to start driving, but would like to have something other than a raised roof, full size van. Head height 58" in power chair.
    Thanks
    Hi everyone

I come across the topic quads in manuals and it has really shocked me and confused me.

I'm approaching the 10 year anniversary of injury(party time and I'm looking to reassess and improve various aspects of my health.
    I hope to do this with exercise and healthy eating although I defy anyone to tell me that I don't eat healthily yet I have got a Tetra tummy and a big fat bottom.
    But I digress.
    What shocked me is reading that it seems that many tetras at my level push manual wheelchairs.
    When I was in the spinal unit my physio therapist never suggested that it was feasible and without any knowledge myself I just went along with what i was told.
    As I recall my arm movement came back quite late so I was just delighted to be able to drive a power chair without a tennis ball head attachment.

I have always been led to believe that you need to have triceps to push a manual chair which I do not have.

Would it be possible to clarify whether it is feasible for me (however difficult at first ) to use a manual chair even if it is on a part-time basis in conjunction with my power chair which would have a fantastic effect on my fitness and general health.

As definitions of levels of injury can differ so greatly between us I think it's best if I describe what I have working and whether it's viable from other forum members experiences.

I believe I am C5/6 complete.

I have biceps (can polish guns although tiny)
    My left wrist can be cocked but will flop down if not held up
    My right wrist has no such cocking action
    As a result of this I wear supports on both hands.
    I do not believe I have triceps as to put it crudely I cannot put my hands up like a child would in a classroom to answer a question (sorry it's the easiest way I can explain)
    Extension of the arm is only achieved by gravity.
    I believe that as a result of this lack of triceps I have the chicken wing scenario folded up in front of my chest when lying in bed because of the shortening of the tendons.
    Whilst on the back I can only lift my head and neck.
    I have no lumbar control if I flop to the side I cannot get up.
    The same if I go forward on to my knees I cannot get up.
    Also if I held my hand in front of me I cannot put my hands together in a clapping motion they do not get anywhere near close.
    I believe this is because I have only partial shoulders muscles working.

I apologise in my anatomical analysis of my body being so poor!

I've just been utterly amazed by the accounts of people living with C5 injuries in near independence.
    It seems to me impossible to even contemplate transferring bowel care etc.

I would be grateful for any information anyone can throw my way, although with my hands I probably will not catch it!

Cheers Curbyi

You can, but be limited in your use.... I'm 5/6, both wrists "cock".. Its called extensors, but everythng else is like you. I too, was told I couldn't, but pushed to get one in rehab. My OT gave me one to shut me up, and that night i pushed 100m, took 40 minutes, but i did it.

Alot of folks are incomplete here, with some trunk stability which is huge, and this leads to easier everything. I just have balance, which took awhile to get.

There are many aids to help with stability, aand pushing is an intense workout, as it works all muscles at once.
    Not sure your situation, but starting pushing is easiest on smooth flatish floors, like hospitals or malls.

Maybe start a new thread to get best results.
    Oh and welcome

Curbyi

Welcome to CC. I'm C5/6 incomplete (mostly sensory). I live in Manchester and was born in Bristol (if you mean UK).

I function in a similar fashion but more wrist function from what you described.

They tried to push a power chair on me in rehab and I refused. Pushed a clunky manual with rubber/sticky rims around while wearing gloves while I built myself up.

http://www.activemobility.co.uk/shop...ers-p-937.html

Came home and realised that full on manual wasn't practical for city life and got lightweight chair and E-motion power assisted wheels. Generally push 2 - 3 miles a day using these and it has built me up a lot so it's a good compromise.

http://www.newmobility.com/articleViewIE.cfm?id=567

I think you'll find it very hard and very tiring but even pushing around your home or up and down your street (if it's flat) will help your strength.

I use gloves similar to the top ones here:

http://www.celticware.com/acatalog/G...s_2.html#cuffs
    C5/6 incomplete

"I assume you all have guns and crack....."

u can do it.
    im inc c4-5 FUNCTIONING at c5-6 no triceps but good wrist ext. i have always used a manual. u have to push push push. those power chairs r a coffin imo.

u can be ind w/out tri's as well. transfers etc.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer