Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Quads pushing manual chairs

My brother is C5/C6 about 3 months post. He really didn't want to be in a power chair but to allow him enough energy to do his other therapy they put him in one. He has gotten more used to it but only in the last couple of weeks have they given him the chance to try a manual. He wears something similiar to the ADI wheelchair gloves. First he puts on these splint like things that separate his thumbs from his hands-they are made out of a hard plastic like material. Then we put gloves over these. The gloves though have a rough silicone patch on the palm area that allows him to catch the rim and push it. Its hard for him but he is getting much better at it. The one thing that you will notice if you start trying it is that it is completely different when you get outside. He was doing fine on the nice flat floors in the hospital but once he went outside on the sidewalk he was having a very tough time. As he gets stronger with it he might switch to a manual chair with the power wheels.

He has some wrist extensors but very little in the way of triceps.

Quote Originally Posted by connolly43
    My brother is C5/C6 about 3 months post. He really didn't want to be in a power chair but to allow him enough energy to do his other therapy they put him in one. He has gotten more used to it but only in the last couple of weeks have they given him the chance to try a manual. He wears something similiar to the ADI wheelchair gloves. First he puts on these splint like things that separate his thumbs from his hands-they are made out of a hard plastic like material. Then we put gloves over these. The gloves though have a rough silicone patch on the palm area that allows him to catch the rim and push it. Its hard for him but he is getting much better at it. The one thing that you will notice if you start trying it is that it is completely different when you get outside. He was doing fine on the nice flat floors in the hospital but once he went outside on the sidewalk he was having a very tough time. As he gets stronger with it he might switch to a manual chair with the power wheels.

He has some wrist extensors but very little in the way of triceps.
    do him a favor. put him in a manual and make him work through. he will thank u believe me.

i,m inc c4/5 no triceps. i can say for certain, if i had listened to those idiot pts and didnt refuse the power, i would not be independant today. that was 20 years ago.

i agree w/ chris below

owe, fyi. he doesnt need triceps to transfer either, you will hear that bullshit as well.
    Last edited by fuentejps; 05-29-2007 at 04:34 PM.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

I've been pushing my manual chair for 7yrs. I refused the power chair and just kept pushing, pushing to the point now where I can keep up with any ab on reasonable terrain. When I left the hospital I had trace triceps in my right, nothing in my left. Lifting weights has helped but daily pushing anywhere and everywhere did the trick imo. Good luck.

How big of a difference does a proper fitting light weight chair make?
    "All of us are all too stuck strapped to a chair watching our lives blow up..."

um... huge difference. I didn't use my first manual chair much b/c it was a bear to manuever, so I used the power more. Once I got a proper fitting & minimalistic manual, I've pushed a lot more.

A well fitted chair and good components are really important, zero triceps here either. The chair needs to be very light, without too much weight in the front even if it makes it more tippy, pushblack type of pushrims, very hard high pressure or Kik Mako tires, some lateral support and a lot of dump to be able to push hard without falling on your knees. I don't use gloves and push on the pushrims and also brake with them using my fingers (the art of the "just enough finger contracture" ). Now you are ready to go ....
    Pharmacist, C4-5 injury but functional C6 (no triceps/flexors)

Quote Originally Posted by forestranger52
    How do Quads push manual chairs? I am C5/6, no triceps, hands and fingers don't work. VA tossed me in a used power chair and that was it. My thumbs are always in the way. How do you keep thumbs from getting caught in the rims? How do your hands hold on to the rims? Tired off being limited with this large power chair. Am working hard to build enough muscles to transfer. I'm familiar with quad knobs. Kind of tacky. E-motions sound great in this forum. Need to start driving, but would like to have something other than a raised roof, full size van. Head height 58" in power chair. Thanks
    I think the Wijit is a practical solution for any quad who wants to be in a manual chair. I recently demo’d this drive system and was very impressed with the overall design and it’s many benefits.

“About the Wijit: The Wijit is a revolutionary driving and braking system for manual wheelchairs. It uses precision geared levers that amplify the user's pushing power, while reducing strain on the user's shoulders and upper body.”

http://www.wijit.com/what

I push a manual. Granted I'm a C-6/7 with no triceps and no wrist movement on one side, but I manage. Fingers aren't required for a manual chair. I use the palm of one hand (with some finger usage), the back of the other to roll, have push levers for brakes.

As for your thumb getting in the way, it'll take some practice to learn how to position your hands to keep your digits out of the way.

You won't immediately glide across the room, but going a foot under your own power is an improvement if you've been using power and want to go manual. Keep at it. You'll get stronger and stronger.

Lift weights to get stronger. You an use velcro and your teeth to strap 'em on or use weight bracelets. The main thing is to move and to keep moving. You'll see improvements.

I wish you the best.

Quote Originally Posted by fuentejps
    do him a favor. put him in a manual and make him work through. he will thank u believe me.

i,m inc c4/5 no triceps. i can say for certain, if i had listened to those idiot pts and didnt refuse the power, i would not be independant today. that was 20 years ago.

i agree w/ chris below

owe, fyi. he doesnt need triceps to transfer either, you will hear that bullshit as well.
    I agree 100% I also refused a power chair. I'M C5/6 no tri's I'm so glad I didn't listen to them and busted my butt to become independent again and without a big powerchair. I transfer alot in and outta my chair. I do believe getting into rugby so soon after my injury helped a ton. I'm just over 2 yrs post
    Steve
    C5-6 Feb 05

how do we brake? i always ran into the problem of working to push really great, but then i go fast and cant stop. so now i dont really work on pushing...didnt really realize it til now.

and how do we keep our hands clean? and what do we do when it rains and the rims are slippery? hmmm...wo pts really shoulda helped me with this instead of concentrating on their disappointed looks when i refused power.

THANK YOU YOU GUYS FOR VALIDATING MY DECISION!!!!! (Sorry im yelling but im listening to rock music on jbenny's myspace and so im pumped, lol.) the pts made me feel like a freak for choosing manual, and then quickie push power.