Page 19 of 26 FirstFirst ... 91011121314151617181920212223242526 LastLast

Thread: Quads pushing manual chairs

HOLY THROWDOWN! SHOWDOWN! This PC vs MaC debate never ends.
    Know Thyself

Quote Originally Posted by Rick1
    HOLY THROWDOWN! SHOWDOWN! This PC vs MaC debate never ends.
    Wow, you broke out the ASStro glide and slipped a funny in.

jbinney, here is what he said....

Quote Originally Posted by fuentejps
    i stand behind my original thought. if your able to push but choose a pc for EVERYDAY use, not just sometimes, than your a lazy bastard!!
    So if your a quad and you use a pc primarily, your a lazy bastard according to fuente. I'm not worried about whether it's directed at me or not. That's just such an idiotic statement and attitude. Not everyone wants to be Joe Superquad. Different people have different priorities. Why is that concept so hard to grasp for you and others? I'm much more functional in my power chair. I can walk my dog, reach the stove to cook, open doors more easily, push furniture out of the way, go grocery shopping and haul bags, carry heavy things on my lap. I don't mind driving a van. I have a family and a dog. The van fits our lifestyle. It's not laziness, it's practicality. I'm not oversensitive to what fuente is saying, I'm just amazed at the narrow-mindedness.

i stand behind my original thought. if your able to push but choose a pc for EVERYDAY use, not just sometimes, than your a lazy bastard!!
    im in a pissy mood today, so bring it on .
    bump

so I'm in Indiana at the moment & drove clear across Ohio yesterday.

fuente, I wonder if you fully understand how ridiculously flat these midwest states are. I'm not entirely discounting your opinion, but some terrain lends itself to using a power chair, even daily. Where I live in Virginia is borderline. I haven't touched my power chair in a couple months, but good grief... my neighborhood probably has more elevation change than your entire state.

just my $0.02 to stir the pot again... haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Pruett
    bump

fuente, I wonder if you fully understand how ridiculously flat these midwest states are. I'm not entirely discounting your opinion, but some terrain lends itself to using a power chair, even daily. Where I live in Virginia is borderline. I haven't touched my power chair in a couple months, but good grief... my neighborhood probably has more elevation change than your entire state.

Scott,

Be careful! It's possible to forget how to drive by the time you reach the Illinois line. I recommend changing lanes every so often for no apparent reason (so you remember how to steer) and, for God's sake, don't use your cruise control!

Quote Originally Posted by JGNI
    Sorry for the delay, I just noticed your question today, I guessed I had focused on chick the last time. Yes it's 3/4" all over (but for the back posts), they still do it for narrow chairs with a fee.
    Thanks, JGNI (I was out of town when you posted this). I don't blame you for focusing on chick.

Quote Originally Posted by JGNI
    Come on guys, let's not fall on the other extreme now and make it seem like a PC is heaven on earth compared to a manual, they both have their pros and cons.
    Exactly.

Cap'n: Good post, as usual. I think some people will miss the point you're making about exercise and shoulders and the importance of opposing muscle groups needing to be functional and strong, working together, for maximum shoulder stability. Quads need to be careful with their shoulders for that reason; the lack of opposing muscle groups make blowing out a shoulder (rotator cuff, etc) a very real possibility for quads, a probability for those who overuse their shoulders.

STOP BY SCOTT. PM ME ILL GIVE U MY ADDY

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Pruett
    bump

Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Quote Originally Posted by SCI_OTR
    Scott,

Be careful! It's possible to forget how to drive by the time you reach the Illinois line. I recommend changing lanes every so often for no apparent reason (so you remember how to steer) and, for God's sake, don't use your cruise control!
    hahaha yup, I-80 might be one of the most boring roads in the country.

STOP BY SCOTT. PM ME ILL GIVE U MY ADDY
    PM on its way... I'm driving this all in one shot (700+ mi) but will see if I can swing it.

I encourage you to go manual if you can. I can't and use a power chair. I drive a Toyata Sienna, you can get Elements and Scions too.You aren't limited to full size vans.

Don't f#*k your shoulder(s),then you're screwed!

There are "power assist wheels" They are battery operated and help you push along w/ speed while helping to save your shoulders w/o the gauty power chair and the looks of a manual.

Good luck and God bless

okay, so only the top part of Ohio is stupid flat. I retract my previous statement.

& yes, I met the infamous fuente... real nice guy, just speaks his mind.