Page 17 of 26 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314151617181920212223242526 LastLast

Thread: Quads pushing manual chairs

Fuente,

You don't see anything incompatible with the fact that you shun and won't fuck the mirror image of yourself?

Quote Originally Posted by redbandit
    So now you know what the average ab on the street thinks about manual vs p/c? Have you taken a poll? What about people with MS in scooters, CP in power chairs, profoundly retarded in manual chairs, etc. Do you have a hierarchy for most disabled looking for these too? Most ab's have no idea what they're looking at when they see a person in a chair anyway.

Who gives a flying f#$k what looks more or less disabled. The fact is I'm more FUNCTIONAL in my power chair than my manual one and you would be too. CapnGimp and Chick said it best so I won't elaborate.

One day you will need to go to a power chair and need assistance with transferring. Even paras with a lot of assistance from tri's, chest, lat, and core muscles wear out their shoulders over the years. Shoulders aren't designed for primary mobility.
    im 20yrs and havent missed a beat yet. ill be dead before i go to a pc. real simple
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Quote Originally Posted by Le Type Fran├žais
    Fuente,

You don't see anything incompatible with the fact that you shun and won't fuck the mirror image of yourself?
    i dont shun all. the guys on my rugby team are good guys, no i dont hang w/ them. you are right, i wouldnt fuck a crip. just not my thing
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Quote Originally Posted by fuentejps
    im 20yrs and havent missed a beat yet. ill be dead before i go to a pc. real simple
    operative word "yet". Like I said, one day you will.....

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion
    Is the whole chair 3/4" tubing? My first Top End was, but my second (the one I have now) is only 3/4" tubing up front. 1" on the rest. I'd love to go back to all 3/4" if I can get that custom. Top End makes some great chairs--I wish they were still an independent company.
    Sorry for the delay, I just noticed your question today, I guessed I had focused on chick the last time. Yes it's 3/4" all over (but for the back posts), they still do it for narrow chairs with a fee.
    Pharmacist, C4-5 injury but functional C6 (no triceps/flexors)

Quote Originally Posted by forestranger52
    How do Quads push manual chairs? I am C5/6, no triceps, hands and fingers don't work.
    VA tossed me in a used power chair and that was it. My thumbs are always in the way. How do you keep thumbs from getting caught in the rims? How do your hands hold on to the rims? Tired off being limited with this large power chair. Am working hard to build enough muscles to transfer.
    I'm familiar with quad knobs. Kind of tacky. E-motions sound great in this forum.
    Need to start driving, but would like to have something other than a raised roof, full size van. Head height 58" in power chair.
    Thanks
    I'm c-5/6, I drive a mini van, no high roof, from my powerchair.
    "Some people say that, the longer you go the better it gets the more you get used to it, I'm actually finding the opposite is true."

-Christopher Reeve on his Paralysis

I want to add something here about pushing. I was talking to a Therapist at Mageee Rehab in Philly a month ago to order my new PC. She said that many paras are coming in with worn out shoulders & they have decided to order powerchairs for even new paras because of this future problem. There has been a rethinking on pushing when it comes to paras & quads. When I was hurt it was push push push one day I wanted to go on the grass in my yard & it was all over for me never went back. I would rather use a powerchair & see more of the world than sit in a manuel chair & not go very far. I look back now & think what a fool I was to sit a MC for almost two years & not go anywhere that wasn't a perfect ride.
    "Some people say that, the longer you go the better it gets the more you get used to it, I'm actually finding the opposite is true."

-Christopher Reeve on his Paralysis

Come on guys, let's not fall on the other extreme now and make it seem like a PC is heaven on earth compared to a manual, they both have their pros and cons.

Blog Entries
    the big thing to remember for shoulder protection is you need OTHER exercise of ALL the muscles of the shoulder to keep them balanced/strong.
    I had some major pain in my right shoulder due to damage and not rounding out my exercise of the pertinent muscles.
    I CAN say this, my handcycle has made almost all that pain go away, made ALL the shoulder muscles increase in size, strength and endurance. This made pushing a manual seem like a breeze compared to what it once was. I'm not talking smooth, level surfaces either. I'm no expert, I just know what it did for me.
    Pushing a manual chair is really not exercise anyway. Doesn't require much energy at all. Remember, it rolls. We have just gotten SO out of shape that it SEEMS hard. AGAIN, I'm speaking in general terms here, I KNOW how hard it is for a quad to push a chair, been there for a while, I got use of my muscles back in a few months.
    I remember trying to push that 70lb high back rehab chair down the hall at TIRR... 10 or 15 feet at a time and collapsing in a heap until I could go again later.
    Pushing a chair only uses a small set of muscles and without balanced workouts of the whole shoulder, etc., we are setting ourselves up for a fall in later years.
    I can't GO in my yard in a manual, it is impossible, some places, I can't go in a power chair. But that power chair makes it possible to do so much more, faster, more efficiently, safer and above all, BY MYSELF. <<--- THAT translates to independance, which is what it is all about.
    We really need 3 things when newly injured, a manual, a power and a way to exercise all the things that do work on our bodies. This would give us maximum capability from the get-go. To bad we don't get the means to have these always. But we could pass this knowledge along to all the newly injured, so they could plan a way to get them later, if at all possible.
    You have to take care of yourself, or somebody will get paid to do it with a lot less concern later on, if you know what I mean.
    Educate others so they don't have to learn the hard way.

Good points CapnGimp!