Page 13 of 26 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617181920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: Quads pushing manual chairs

Quote Originally Posted by alpentalic
    LOL - Speaking of mothers, I can't stop looking at yours....hook me up!
    you sumbitch... i caught plenty of shit in school, still do today.
    i'll admit it, she doesn't look her age
    "All of us are all too stuck strapped to a chair watching our lives blow up..."

Quote Originally Posted by jbinny
    i see pushing yourself just like i do feeding yourself, brushing your teeth, or anything else... it might take forever and you're probably gonna take a spill a few times, but you'll feel a helluva lot better knowing you did the work... IMO

rugby in power? me thinks not
    Fine. You don't get it. Go ahead and be another Fuente acolyte; I don't give a fuck.

Quote Originally Posted by Rustyjames
    The big stud-daddy has spoken, put away your lipstick and pocketbooks.
    Good to see you posting, Rusty.

Quote Originally Posted by CapnGimp
    jbinny, I am SECURE in MY fucktardness. I invented it. I revel in it. I just take EXTREME offense when momma's boy's belittle those who are less able, for utilizing technology to make there lives better . . .
    And much more "able."

Heh heh. Good post, Capn, all of it. Fucktards forever!
    Last edited by Scorpion; 06-07-2007 at 05:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CapnGimp
    I am ALL about acheiving your maximum physical potential and NOT harming yourself for the long haul.
    Amen there, because of that I am switchng to a manuel with the extender package. I want to save my shoulders for when I am 60.
    www.cawvsports.org
    The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same. ~ Don Juan Matus
    We are Virginia Tech… We must laugh again… No one deserves a tragedy… We are strong, and brave, and innocent, and unafraid…We are better than we think and not quit what we want to be…We are the Hokies…We will prevail, we will prevail, we will prevail. We ARE Virginia Tech! ~ Nikki Giovanni

there are slackass ab's and crips./ i think anyone who doesnt try to acvhieve at maximum potential is weak, period.

as for u cap, i respect you, your a good guy. most of the rest are just whiney little bitchs. not all but most.

i stand behind everything i have said. if i dont mean it i dont say it.

jbinney has the right attitude imo for a young quad, and he will do well.
    Last edited by fuentejps; 06-07-2007 at 08:36 PM.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

i thought i recognized jb's ignorance elsewhere! you're the little twat in the pro-choice thread awhile back saying you have the right to tell women what to do with their uterus. I can only imagine how cool you feel to be talking back to members that know a lot more about life and people than you do and presumably ever will. Keep it up the ignorance is entertaining.

IMO, a big part of this thread comes down to beating the odds...and a little bragging for those who have beatin those odds. When I was given a powerchair I thought that I hit rock bottom of crippledom. The more I experience life in a chair, this becomes less and less the case.

Capn' G has made a lot of very good points. Anything to help my independence is great in my book. I use a power toothbrush, and an electric shaver...please don't tease me for not using a manual toothbrush.

I too am trying to overcome odds by trying to push my manual chair even though my route is from the kitchen to my bedroom. I feel damn good about it too when get there faster or with less effort , but when it comes time to adventure out in the "REAL" world I'll be in my power chair. And when I get back on my feet I'm turning my P/C into a radio controlled keg carrier...

Danny
    Injured May 19, 2006, C4 incomplete

Again, for many (as seen in this thread, even), independence is NOT just about the ability to push a chair. If it is, then so be it, but I think that that only limits a person and prevents them from engaging in many more Life's activities, especially outdoors and doing things by themselves, without assistance.

Pushing a chair is pretty repetitive motion, that causes long-term damage to arms, and back/spine, especially if one is a quad who has limited shoulder/arm muscle innervation (incl. torso), therefore often requiring other muscles to compensate, which puts added stress on those working muscles. Other exercises are necessary for greater range and maximizing use of your upper extremities, including torso and balance, etc. Also, pushing a manual short distances, for many quads, do not give you the cardio workout you need, so this argument is moot. If believing that pushing will give you the range of arm use/exercise one needs to maintain strength, health and endurance, that is pretty limited thinking and poor understanding of body and health.

If a power chair user can do more physical activities than if using just a manual, then the power chair user will be getting much more exercise just by engaging in the every day activities that require great physical exertion - incl. work, school, shopping, play... instead of waiting for others to help push them across campus, take them shopping, walk their dog, travel for work, and so on...

There are many quads I know, who do not use a manual, but do the work necessary to be fully independent people -- much more than I've ever done while pushing my manual chair. I know high quads who can't move anything but their heads - one who uses a sip n puff powerchair, to get around town on his own, go to law school while living on own, and is now fully self sufficient living on his own. Puts me and many other manual pushin quads AND paras to shame, in independence and achievement.

Rugby? Bah. I know a guy in a power chair with CP, who has traveled the world competing in the shot put (sp?), with muscles that make most manual pushers (me included) look like twigs. There are others in pc's who weight-lift, cycle... and more.

Is there bias against power chair users? Yea, sure there is. Much of the accessible stuff, incl. sports activities, are geared toward manual chair users, even those activities for quads. But if your idea of 'doing it on your own' is all about pushing a manual chair a few more feet while always waiting around for people to help you push and take you where you can't.... that powerchair user is already down the road, living their life. Life doesn't wait around while you are still back there pushin your chair over that crack in the sidewalk....
    Last edited by chick; 06-07-2007 at 09:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by chick
    But if your idea of 'doing it on your own' is all about pushing a manual chair a few more feet while always waiting around for people to help you push and take you where you can't.... that powerchair user is already down the road, living their life. Life doesn't wait around while you are still back there pushin your chair over that crack in the sidewalk....
    yea but ill sure pass his ass when his shyte breaks or the batteries run down...
    C5-6 - 22 years