Page 1 of 26 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Quads pushing manual chairs

From a small cabin in the big woods of The Allegheny National Forest, PA

Quads pushing manual chairs

How do Quads push manual chairs? I am C5/6, no triceps, hands and fingers don't work.
    VA tossed me in a used power chair and that was it. My thumbs are always in the way. How do you keep thumbs from getting caught in the rims? How do your hands hold on to the rims? Tired off being limited with this large power chair. Am working hard to build enough muscles to transfer.
    I'm familiar with quad knobs. Kind of tacky. E-motions sound great in this forum.
    Need to start driving, but would like to have something other than a raised roof, full size van. Head height 58" in power chair.
    Thanks
    C 5/6 Comp.
    No Tri's or hand function.

Far better it is to try mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure. Than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much or suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory or defeat.

Teddy Roosevelt

I'm the same level, C5/6.. more 6. Do you have wrist extensors?.. Anyway I use my palm/wrist area to push.

I know of quads in P/Cs who drive Caravans.

if no pain and spasms by touching ,air ,movment good luck and all the best .
    sci affects us diffr.push the harderst your body allowes you.
    Last edited by adi chicago; 05-28-2007 at 08:13 PM.
    • Dum spiro, spero.
      • Translation: "As long as I breathe, I hope."

From a small cabin in the big woods of The Allegheny National Forest, PA
    PATONB, I think I have wrist extenders. I can lift my wrists up and down. Wrists are usually sore, mostly because of exercise.
    C 5/6 Comp.
    No Tri's or hand function.

Far better it is to try mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure. Than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much or suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows neither victory or defeat.

Teddy Roosevelt

forest...I, like you, started out in a power chair. I got involved in school and then work full time and I couldnt get out of the power chair for almost 10 years. I got so down that I felt as though I was gonna die when I went to sleep at night. Just really poor health. The next time that my power chair broke, I parked it and went cold turkey into a manual chair. I will say that this was the hardest thing Ive ever done in my life, but I did it. It took me a good 3 months to make the transition, but you will adapt to daily life and obtain the necessary strength needed to tranfser in the process. Ive been out tof the power chair for 6 years now. I dont need the van for day to day life anymore and I feel better than ever.

GO FOR IT!

Ben
    C5-6 - 22 years

I'm pretty much the same level as you functionally speaking, except for some really weak triceps and relatively worthless wrist extensors. I use ADI gloves and push with my palm kinda on top of the tire to get a good push to start... other than that, I push with my palm half on the tire, half on the push rim.
    I started 6 months ago only being able to push myself 3-4 feet, now I'm up to a couple miles. On a gym floor my miles are down to 30m, coast to coast.
    Push 'til your dead, then go some more, lots of lifting, and a stationary hand bike... that's what helped me
    "All of us are all too stuck strapped to a chair watching our lives blow up..."

I'd recommend NOT kill'n yourself... Once you mess your shoulder, you're sscrewed!.

I started in a manual 6 mo after my injury, and like everyone else 30feet took 30 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Patonb
    I'd recommend NOT kill'n yourself... Once you mess your shoulder, you're sscrewed!.

I started in a manual 6 mo after my injury, and like everyone else 30feet took 30 minutes.
    I just go at it in the gym 'til I'm tired... I figure you have to push yourself, but you also HAVE to listen to your body. Form is also key to not f---in up your shoulders.
    "All of us are all too stuck strapped to a chair watching our lives blow up..."

i push on the tire, can't grip the rim.

Push Your Ass Off Man. Im 20 Years Post. I Did It And Still Do And I Lift Heavy Weight During My Workouts.........5x5. Max The Weight

I Use Black Plastic Coated Handrims. I Push On The Handrim.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer