Thread: Switching from Elavil to Neurontin

Switching from Elavil to Neurontin

I began taking Elavil for burning pain soon after my accident 8+ yrs ago. I take 30mg before bedtime and 30mg in the morning. I would really like to get off it because I don't like the side-effects.

Does anyone have any experience switching from Elavil to Neurontin?

Thanks

i was on 10 to 20 mg a night of elavil plus neurontin which i would take every 6 hours. the neurontin and elavil would work well together without getting the high dose side effects of either

I was taking Elavil and got fairly good relief from burning pain but had a lot of urinary retention and had to stop. I presently take a low dose of Neurontin(1200mg)daily and do not get the same degree of pain relief that I was getting from Elavil. Some side effects I am getting from Neurontin is significant edema in my feet and weight gain.

mike

Maybe desipramine would cause you fewer side effects (and less retention) than Elavil?

Alan

"Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?"

JLB, have you considered lowering the dose of Elavil? The side-effects are dose-dependent and usually 20 mg oonce a day may be sufficient.

Wise.

i have been taking 25 mg of desipramine at night for the burning pain.
    it has much less unapealing side effects to me than 10 mg of elavil does.
    i think elavil at 10 mg is much better at helping with the pain, so 20 mg would be very low to you if you are taking 60 mg a day and also much better at letting me go back to sleep at night when the pain wakes me up.

Thanks for the advice all.

That would be great if I could get down to 20mg. Should I decrease 5mg or 10?