Thread: Feynman meets the Talmud

Feynman meets the Talmud

This is one of the best essays that I have ever read from a scientist. Entitled "Do Not Debase Science: Don't Call On It to Settle Your Ancient, Provincial, Medieval Disputes" by Richard P. Feynman, it reveals the puzzlement of a true scientist meeting the truly religious.

http://www.collectedthoughts.com/quote.aspx?id=11302

if you are interested, here are some of his other great essays:
    Mathematics Is More Than Just A Language- It Is Language Plus Logic
    Which End Is Closer To God?
    You Use The Boogie Man As Follows:

Enjoy.

Wise.
    Last edited by Wise Young; 05-26-2007 at 10:50 PM. Reason: adding additional links for those who might be interested in Feynman's essays.

Interesting-- I've always admired Feynman. He was one of the reasons I majored in physics in college. You should read his other books if you have time, especially, "Surely You're Joking, Mr. Feynman!"

Quote Originally Posted by vsu
    Interesting-- I've always admired Feynman. He was one of the reasons I majored in physics in college. You should read his other books if you have time, especially, "Surely You're Joking, Mr. Feynman!"
    I wish that I could say that I went into science because of Feynman. I did it before he became famous although I did use his textbooks in college. I will look up his other books. Wise.

sir i belive in science ....but i will never forget the paranormal experiences during my coma.....i saw the sky dissected and a light ,a male as well [was the same image of jesus i knew from history and pics]....my coma ended and the docs said to my family....we never thought that adi will survive after his injury[my bodysize?elephant one],pneumotorax and etc.
    what i saw before my coma ended ?a dark room and a snake which bited me..than a lot of ugly small creatures [around 100 cm monsters looking height] trying to step on me .....[my head].....i was buried on mud ....i fought as much as i could and finally i saw the light ,face of jesus and my coma ended.
    a real experience.....some people will not belive ....i swear was true.
    • Dum spiro, spero.
      • Translation: "As long as I breathe, I hope."

Feynman was pretty famous among physicists for many years before the general public was aware of him. I, too, used the Feynman lectures (the 3 big red books) as an undergraduate in the mid-'60s.
    A very interesting person, with his share of peculiarities.
    - Richard