Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: bleach/water or vinegar/water for cath bag?

Question bleach/water or vinegar/water for cath bag?

...is v/w as good as b/w ???....for cleaning bags, etc....i don't like using bleach for much because of its potential to damage and my potential to spill....

All studies and standards of care recommend 10% bleach solution for cleaning urinary drainage bags.

I personally know from an internal study we did in my previous job that vinegar does NOT kill pseudomonas, which is a common urinary pathogen in people with SCI. In fact in our study, they loved it and acted like it was their food. It has even been shown to grow in Betadine. Bleach kills it.

(KLD)

always used bleach/water solution.

Quote Originally Posted by rollin64
    always used bleach/water solution.
    Same here. Works great. Can you not get some help to make a large jug of solution so that you don't have to mess with straight bleach?

Life isn't like a bowl of cherries or peaches. It's more like a jar of jalapenos--What you do today might burn your ass tomorrow.

If you ain't laughing, you ain't living, baby. Carlos Mencia

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse
    All studies and standards of care recommend 10% bleach solution for cleaning urinary drainage bags.

I personally know from an internal study we did in my previous job that vinegar does NOT kill pseudomonas, which is a common urinary pathogen in people with SCI. In fact in our study, they loved it and acted like it was their food. It has even been shown to grow in Betadine. Bleach kills it.

(KLD)
    Somebody should pass this information on to the manufacturer of the leg bag I use. They recommend using one part white vinegar diluted with 16 parts of water. Seems like they are creating enormous liability with these instructions?
    Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

vinegar........stanks!!!!!!!

Justa,
    I use a squeeze water bottle, and squeeze the mixture into the tubing over the bathroom sink. I know that the nurse states it should be made up daily, but we seem to get by on a liter of mixture made up at a time without uti's. Is your daughter old enough to mix it up under your direction? You can get the squeeze bottles at Walmart, made by rubbermaid in the kitchenwares section, under $3.oo and I use smaller squeeze bottles for traveling. If you can tilt the bottle it works well without a squeeze too.

Quote Originally Posted by justadildo
    ...is v/w as good as b/w ???....for cleaning bags, etc....i don't like using bleach for much because of its potential to damage and my potential to spill....
    Liquid Dial Soap

Quote Originally Posted by lilsister
    Justa,
    I use a squeeze water bottle, and squeeze the mixture into the tubing over the bathroom sink. I know that the nurse states it should be made up daily, but we seem to get by on a liter of mixture made up at a time without uti's. Is your daughter old enough to mix it up under your direction? You can get the squeeze bottles at Walmart, made by rubbermaid in the kitchenwares section, under $3.oo and I use smaller squeeze bottles for traveling. If you can tilt the bottle it works well without a squeeze too.
    we do the same, sorta. we use empty dish detergent bottles, the big ones an it lasts about 4 days. they're free, after ya use the detergent of course.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse

(KLD)
    It was suggested to me by a healthb care professional to soak my catheters in water and vinegar. I cath through my stoma. Should I be doing something different? I can't imagine soaking catheters in bleach would be a good thing. Any advice on another alternative would be welcomed.