Thread: There is a Fungus Amungus

There is a Fungus Amungus

Dennis was told yesterday that he has a fungus on his rear. It started as the usual sore, but progressed into a large smelly spot, then spread into another. It is on the section of his rear that "hangs" out of the commode chair.

His SCI doctor said it was a fungus, gave him an ointment and special pads to stop the wetness on his rear.

She said his rear is too wet - not from accident or urine, just too wet all the time. Being a C5, he cannot sweat, so where is the wetness coming from?

She also said he has to spend less time on the commode chair, suggested more bowel meds, but he refused. He usually spends 1.5 hours on the chair each morning - and does still have semi common accidents later in the day.

Anyone have experience with fungus? The idea of less time on the commode chair sounds great, but could sound like a recipe for more accidents......

When I have fungus, usually between fingers and toes, I use Lotramin.

Quote Originally Posted by Meg1
    Being a C5, he cannot sweat, so where is the wetness coming from?
    Not so fast...I'm a C4 who cannot sweat, but the skin on my rearend, feet, and back "weeps" making my underwear, shirt back and socks moist.
    I had a fugus on my back which I use Lamisil to treat. Results are good so far.
    Injured May 19, 2006, C4 incomplete

While many (but not all) people with higher SCI don't sweat in hot weather, they can still sweat due to local heat (like a hot pack) or when placed on a non-breathable plastic surface (such as a plastic sheet or commode seat).

The antifungal cream prescribed should help. You should wash and dry the skin well before application. Also, try to arm the area as much as possible in bed (no pajama bottoms) and keep him on his side as much as possible when laying down.

What does his bowel care entail? 1.5 hours is asking for problems with skin breakdown from a pressure ulcer, not just a rash. The accidents he is having are also not helping his skin.

What changes in his bowel meds did his physician suggest?

What kind of cushion does he have on his commode chair? You might want to consider a Roho commode cushion, as this would allow more air to get to the area. Overall though, I agree with his doctor. Whatever he can do to reduce commode-sitting time should be seriously considered.

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by Meg1
    Dennis was told yesterday that he has a fungus on his rear. It started as the usual sore, but progressed into a large smelly spot, then spread into another. It is on the section of his rear that "hangs" out of the commode chair.

His SCI doctor said it was a fungus, gave him an ointment and special pads to stop the wetness on his rear.
    could you please share the name and strength and other details of this ointment?

I'm a C-5, and I sweat in my groin, thus the on-and-off crotch rot.
    Alan

Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.