Thread: Accessible Housing

Accessible Housing

I have no idea if I posted this in the right place. But we live in Maryland and are searching for accessible housing. And we have found that a lof of places say that they are wheelchair accessible and then they turn out to have two floors or the bathroom is so small a person can barely get in there. We have called over two hundred apartments and have visited a bunch. Does anyone have any suggestions? We need to move ASAP. Is there a database of apartments that are actually wheelchair accessible that anyone knows about? Any help would be much apprecaited!

Your local ILC may have a directory of accessible rental housing, but often it is outdated, or the units are not available. It is a problem in most cities. You have to pound the pavement a lot and check out a lot of places that claim to be accessible.

In addition, you need to define what minimal accessiblity you will accept. You are rarely going to find a bathroom with a roll-in shower in an apt, but if you will accept a 30" door, OR if the landlord is willing for you to widen a doorway or put up grab bars (at your expense) this may be what you have to accept. Some people just have to accept that they will not be able to get into the bathroom at all (bedside commode and bedbaths) and take a short term rental or lease that will allow them to continue their search while at least having a place to live.

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by NikkiR8481
    I have no idea if I posted this in the right place. But we live in Maryland and are searching for accessible housing. And we have found that a lof of places say that they are wheelchair accessible and then they turn out to have two floors or the bathroom is so small a person can barely get in there. We have called over two hundred apartments and have visited a bunch. Does anyone have any suggestions? We need to move ASAP. Is there a database of apartments that are actually wheelchair accessible that anyone knows about? Any help would be much apprecaited!
    Nikki, it would help to know what area you prefer and price range. NRH in Washington, and I'm sure Kernan's, has bulletin boards of houses or condos being sold that are accessible. Columbia's Kendall area near the Long Reach High School has a complex with some accessible units for rent. Other than a few places that are too small buying is best but incredibly expensive the last year and the houses still need work. The ILC in Silver Spring is a lot more helpful than Baltimore's even if you live in Baltimore.

Feel free to PM me for specific help if you want.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Is there any kind of rehab facility in your area? You may find a area were people can put up ads for different things. I am forgeting what it is called. where I did rehab they had a wall out side the cafateria were people could list any thing they had to sell.

Stevie P

The county hospital was where I had PT long term until mobile patients moved to an off campus LLC. It lost its CORF accredidation and now that SCI and Stroke, etc. are back in the hospital I'm thinking of going back. At least the PTs and OTs are enthusiatic. Kennedy Kreiger is maybe 30 miles away but traffic can be a problem. Within the county paratransit works well now and all public buses are acessible for most wheelchairs. The community college teaches both 2 year programs and work specific night classes.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Web Site

Nikki,
    Here is a a link to a website i got from my local HA http://www.springstreet.com i haven't been on it, but it's supposed to have a nation wide list of AH.

Blog Entries
    Wondering if there might be resources around I haven't found, may I ask what is:

ILC
    LLC

I don't get out much

Quote Originally Posted by Random
    Wondering if there might be resources around I haven't found, may I ask what is:

ILC
    LLC

I don't get out much
    Independent Living Center also abbreviated as CIL or Center For Independent Living. Clearing houses for info on all aspects of living in the community. In Maryland look under the Department of Disabilities. It's a cabinet position here now.

LLC= Limited Liability Corporation.