Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Stomach issues again...

Stomach issues again...

I just recently had a UTI with my usual symptoms of sickness, increased spacticity, sweating during bowel program, and chills, never any fever. I was given an antibiotic and after I got off, these same syptoms returned. I had my urine recultured and it came back negative for UTI. At night I get slight chills, my legs jump, and I'm still sweating. I don't sweat unless there is something wrong with my body. I had a big poop the other night so it's not constpation nor is it pregnancy. I get nauseated after I eat and have a general mild sickness all day. Can a culture miss a bug? Suggestions? I'm getting worried.
    Marie
    Unbroken by the grace of God

Has your gall bladder been checked lately?

(KLD)

When my stomach was hurting before many suggested that and my blood was tested and the doc said that everything was good. I was impacted before and after I pooped I felt fine. I saw my PCP afterwards and she said if it was my gallbladder I would be in far more pain plus I am too young (21). I need to get on a fiber regemine. I take some but not regularly. How many mg should I be taking a day?

I guess I need to see the doc again huh?
    Marie

Does it coincide with the monthly curse?
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

A blood test cannot tell if you have gall stones, and because of your SCI, you are at more risk (at a younger age) for gall bladder problems such as stones. We screen the gallbladder (and other abdominal organs) every year with an abdominal ultrasounds and/or CT in our SCI clients, regardless of their age.

If you have a high paraplegic or tetraplegic injury, you may not have the pain associated with gall bladder attacks in AB people...in fact the symptoms you report (AD , nausea, or vomiting after a meal, made worse with a high fat meal, etc.) are very often the ONLY symptoms seen in someone with SCI. Occasionally we will see mild right shoulder pain too.

Of course if you are constipated, this could also be a problem. You should be trying to get at least 30 grams (not milligrams) of dietary fiber daily.

(KLD)

Not at all. I just want to know if a culture can ba wrong and if my gallbladder is the problem will I be okay till I get help?
    Marie

How long are you talking about? If the gallbladder is infected or impacted wtih stones, you can get pretty sick pretty quickly. For example, one of our doctors started getting sick in the afternoon (he did not know he had a gall bladder problem) and he had to stop and throw up driving home. By the time he got home he had so much pain he went to the ER, and he was in the operating room by midnight. He is AB though, so his symptoms were more severe.

If your symptoms get worse, and you have a fever, you HAVE to go to the ER. Otherwise, you should be getting these tests done within the next week or so.

(KLD)

I use MULI-STIX 10 to check my urine before I send a sample to my doc. Sometimes my spasticity is a day ahead of the stick results. If I wait a day, I see leukocytes jump out purple. I send my sample in, doc calls shortly telling me that I have a uti and depending on severity of symptoms and my social plans, we decide to start me on an anibiotic or wait for culture - minimum of 48 hours. Prior to that procedure, my cultures would occassionally come back clear, only to be resent then again and my uti was much worse by then.

Don't be shy about getting medical services. Docs work for you but you have to direct your care. I'd get my gall bladder checked if I were you.

Good luck.
    Karen M
    C 3/4 inc. central cord
    10/29/1992 - 18 years, but who counts?

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse
    How long are you talking about? If the gallbladder is infected or impacted wtih stones, you can get pretty sick pretty quickly. For example, one of our doctors started getting sick in the afternoon (he did not know he had a gall bladder problem) and he had to stop and throw up driving home. By the time he got home he had so much pain he went to the ER, and he was in the operating room by midnight. He is AB though, so his symptoms were more severe.

If your symptoms get worse, and you have a fever, you HAVE to go to the ER. Otherwise, you should be getting these tests done within the next week or so.

(KLD)

Long enough to make an appointment see the doc then get an ultrasound. Should I see my spinal doc for this (called and waiting for a call back) or my PCP?
    Marie

If you can get into see your PCP this week, then do that. If not, call your SCI physician and see if they can see you sooner.

(KLD)