Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: linksys wireless g router w/speedbooster

Quote Originally Posted by rollin64
    . i got to....choose either pppoe, dhcp or static, plus the others. haven't made it to that screen yet. tried static first then dhcp an still couldn't detect router.
    Is this on the installation disk utility or when accessing the router directly? It kind of sounds like the utility to me, but if you are running some sort of internal to the router set up routine and cant get to the option screens for manual setting up, pick pppoe, that is what you want. But if the installation disk utility cant see the router through the computer...it wont do anything.

I looked back at a few of your posts about that lappy and think I have a solution if you are still having problems getting a working wired networking port for that thing.

I believe you said you bought this

As you are having trouble with getting the laptop to talk to the router, I suggest getting this. This card allows one button wireless connection with that router you got, no fuss. Now for the catch...I have no idea if the driver for this is works with Win98. Check first!

You know, I'm wondering if the wireless card you currently have is supposed to actually work with Win98?

Gotta love this computer crap, eh?

You could always go here to find what memory that lappy takes, then go here or here to get enough to run XP on that machine. Luckily the memory market fell through the floor this year, and is dirt cheap, so a great time to buy.

Good luck!

Andy, The router is bricked.

Hes resurecting it via the firmware revive. he is wired and on XP.

Rolln, choose PPPOE and use your dsl connection info at the password stage. Like andy mentioned

Quote Originally Posted by Patonb
    Andy, The router is bricked.

Hes resurecting it via the firmware revive. he is wired and on XP.
    Oh, missed that part scanning over what was going on. Yeah, if on XP that is such a pain, get another one. My somethingoranother Linksys was a total breeze to set up with XP. Much much better than my old DLink 'B' router was for sure.

He's got it going, but can't figure out his pppoe stuff, either way hes stuck.

dunno if it's bricked patonb, since i got the power light stayin on now. just can't get it recognized. the setup was goin good this mornin. got all the way to select pppoe or dhcp, tried both, since you were sleepin or sumthin....haha/jk. but now it won't get past...enter password.

i hate gettin something that somebody has already messed with. yall see the probs i had with just gettin win 98sp goin.........

they said.....gotta call somebody. i know better than that.

i'll try again in the mornin.

i hate win 98.........i hate wireless routers even more now, hehe. thanks to linksys.

ummmm, i'm feelin a lil better. i knew not to yell yippeee yet cause it was too good to be true.

i reset my modem, plugged everything back up an viola....i was online through the router. typed in 192.168.1.1 an got web interface. didn't wanna go too far an was actually ecstatic, so clicked out an was comin here to brag when low an behold.......no more connection.

unplugged/plugged router, checked a few different pages an everything was fine.......FOR ABOUT 3 OR 4 MINUTES.

so thats whats up. unplug/plug router, power light stays on but lose connection after 4 min. any ideas yall?

"EDIT"....just read back over andy's post. think i should change to pppoe right quick when i get it online?

Yeah, PPPoE if you are running DSL. Not sure how you managed to log on onto your DSL service otherwise however. If you are able to get to the screen I posted, have your DSL log on stuff typed in there. If you read down there is the 'keep alive' thing, maybe that is why you dropped the connection, it tried to 'keep alive', and with the wrong connection parameters it dropped you after that amount of time.

i'll give that a try andy an get back.

Good job!

You're better than the people on the phone.