Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: linksys wireless g router w/speedbooster

linksys wireless g router w/speedbooster

well, well, well. oh.....an a HA, HA, HA.

the reason ya haven't heard much outta me is cause i been playin with this router for 2 DAMN days.

whats wrong with just hookin it up an everything working??????? nooooooooo, not me buddy. he told me i'd have to update it an call somebody that his wife was on the phone with for 2 or 3 hours. that shoulda gimma a clue.

first thing...no power cord. found one i had layin around with similar voltage. hooked everything up. run cd.......can't finish setup. power light is constantly blinking. can't upgrade firmware cause router won't connect. been readin..readin...readin. seems a buncha ppl havin problems with linksys router an power light blinkin. tried multiple methods an nothings worked. i'm assuming his wife couldn't get it goin either. it pings but i dunno if she's got it bricked or not. wireless is just becoming one big headache after another. the only other option is buy me a different brand router for 35 bucks that isn't so complicated. oh did i mention....this free laptop is gettin more expensive on a regular basis?????

So... It doesn't properly power on? Firmware isn't nessesary.

Your best thing is use your XP machine to set it up.. Then go for laptop. XP should just plug n play. Oh.. Make sure you got the cables right.

You don't need the disk really. BUT you need to power on the right way.

Modem -> router -> computer.

Also, you don't need to be connected to your router for the router to work.
    You say you can ping it..... i.e. ping 192.168.1.1?

I'm sure you've tried, but can you access the web intrface? Again 192.168.1.1 using pass and user: admin ?

If is bricked, your SOL truthfully. And for 35t bucks its not worth the effort.

The good thing is that a router has a NAT firewall so it's highly recomendded getting one anyway.
    Last edited by Patonb; 05-24-2007 at 10:58 AM.

I ditched my old Linksys router last weekend and installed a new Netgear router along with my Slingbox. I'm running a Vista desktop, Vista laptop, XP tablet, and a Slingbox on my little network.

No problems for me, but follow Patonb's advice on using a hard wired connection to set up your router.

The V3 and below wrt54g routers rocked. Running a true linux OS and like 32Megs of RAM. The newer ones, 'cept the gl version, run some stupid M$ language and 8Megs of Memmory.

its the WRT54GS. nope, can't get the web interface with, 192.168.1.1. i pinged that ip with everything connected correctly an it was good.

the power lights are on when no cables are connected but then when i hook the cables, the power light just flashes repeatedly an comp says....can't detect router or something like that. haven't tried powering on that way. i'll do that next. heres some readage for any helpers.

http://www.wi-fiplanet.com/tutorials...0724_3618616_2

Well then...... You're not totally fubared... Just do the easy resurrection method... Which is quite easy...

Well according to your article.

tried a couple other things. light stayed on a few minutes. it stays on if no cables are hooked. i'll try that articles method tomorrow, i'm done for this day, lol.

really thinkin about takin mike honchos approach an just ditch it.

Just think, You know soooo much more now.

Try the article, it seems really simple... Only real catch is the forcing your NIC to 10Mbits., and your router perfectly fits the only confused description, easily fixed.

Ehe... i lied, it's in the control panel, under networking!

Either fix this one or get anew one... either way you really should have one as a front lline defence.

Quote Originally Posted by Patonb
    Just think, You know soooo much more now.

Try the article, it seems really simple... Only real catch is the forcing your NIC to 10Mbits., and your router perfectly fits the only confused description, easily fixed.

Ehe... i lied, it's in the control panel, under networking!

Either fix this one or get anew one... either way you really should have one as a front lline defence.
    hehe, yea i done checked the 10 half duplex, played around with that for something else awhile back. i am learnin bunches. more than i want, i believe. gettin real good at un/pluggin these cables with no fingers too.

are all brands of routers this easy to lock-up an soooooo hard to get straightened out??????

Yes... Basically what happened is either it was a bad d/l of the firmware, or there was a powersurge while doing it.

BTW The odds of brickin is very remote. They just got unlucky.

I'd give that 1 shot then buy another.