Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chair frame measurement help

Chair frame measurement help

Hi everyone. I want to order a Tilite ZR and currently doing my own measurements so I can order the chair on the net. I dont have insurance so I need to pay out of my own pocket, so internet ordering is the cheaper way to go. Below is the measurement that I like to go with, but afraid that it might be too small.

ZR
    15" seat width
    15" seat depth
    15.5" rear seat height
    18.5" front seat height
    80 deg front end
    24" rear wheels

To the wheelchair gurus out there, is this frame size too small for a 5'11" tall and 155lbs fella? Are the 24" wheels too small for me? Width wise, I know 15" is perfect for me, but I am more worried about the length of the chair as I have long legs. My intention is to go as short (foot plate to rear frame length) as possible, but don't know how short I can go for it to be appropriate or my legs. I Kinda like the look and bend of the 85 deg front end, but afraid that might make the length of the chair even shorter. Anyways, I do want my chair to be as compact as as possible and still fit me so its easier to get the frame in and out of a sedan. Is there anyone out there thats about the same height as me and with similar frame measurements as above or even smaller?

This is my current chair size (Tilite TR):
    15" seat width
    17" seat depth
    17" rear seat height
    19" front seat height
    85 deg front end
    25" rear wheels

My current chair was measured by a retailer rep, but I always feel that it is a little bulky for me. The new chair I want will be based on this measurement, but with some inches shaved off of it to make it as compact as possible.

I will likely call Tilite and ask them too, but I like to hear from you guys too. Thanks a bunch for any inputs!

-randy
    May 2000, T4-5 Complete.

Nam-Myoho-Renge-Kyo

Randy -

I ordered my last chair online & didn't get "officially" measured by anyone. It sounds like you're using your head, but you have to make sure it'll fit you vs. fitting the space you want it to take up. I'm the same height as you; my concerns with your proposed specs are w/ the seat depth and the front seat height.

First, what cushion are you [planning on] using?

Second, are the back of your legs (under your knees) making contact w/ the upholstery/cushion currently?

FWIW, I'm 5'11", 170-180#, C6/7, run a Top End Crossfire: 17Wx16D.

IM W/ SCOTT SOUNDS SMALL.

im 6'2 195ish and run 17x16. i would go 90 on the frt end. i run 4in dump. i also prefer 24in wheels.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Thanks for the inputs guys.

My current chair uses a stimulite sports cushion which is 2 inches thick, I will be using this type of cushion too as I am used to it. My current chair right now has a 17" seat depth and the cushion is slightly touching the underside of my knee. The cushion is actually 1 inch longer than the seat sling. Most custom chair cushions are made to be 1 inch longer than the actual seat deapth on purpose I think.
    Last edited by Hype62; 05-22-2007 at 03:50 PM.
    May 2000, T4-5 Complete.

Nam-Myoho-Renge-Kyo

Quote Originally Posted by fuentejps
    IM W/ SCOTT SOUNDS SMALL.

im 6'2 195ish and run 17x16. i would go 90 on the frt end. i run 4in dump. i also prefer 24in wheels.
    Going 90 deg front end would make the foot rest placement further backwards wouldnt it? The axle COG will have to move back a bit to compensate for it too right?
    May 2000, T4-5 Complete.

Nam-Myoho-Renge-Kyo

my seat is 14"w 18"d, and i can squeeze all fingers of one hand between the cushion and my knees. the chair is 85 degrees, and theres another 3" between the edge of the seat sling and the downtubes (i didnt ask for this, but am very happy with it as it helps me transfer). this all means that the chair is quite long, and i had to put my cog at 4 to get the balance right. but its stable and comfortable. my previous chair was 16x16 with a 187 front, and had an intentionally short footprint. i constantly felt like i was falling out, and sometimes i did, and had no support under my legs....... can you demo the smaller size to make sure you can sit in it?

Quote Originally Posted by Hype62
    Thanks for the inputs guys.

My current chair uses a stimulite sports cushion which is 2 inches thick, I will be using this type of cushion too as I am used to it. My current chair right now has a 17" seat depth and the cushion is slightly touching the underside of my knee. The cushion is actually 1 inch longer than the seat sling. Most custom chair cushions are made to be 1 inch longer than the actual seat deapth on purpose I think.
    i dont agree w/ that. my chair is 17x16 so are my stimulites. always
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com

Quote Originally Posted by Hype62
    Going 90 deg front end would make the foot rest placement further backwards wouldnt it? The axle COG will have to move back a bit to compensate for it too right?
    yes and yes. but well worth it
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com

I'm 5' 11" and weigh 185. I fit best in a 17x16 seat with an 80-85 degree front frame.

There are a couple of things to consider with the ZR which can make it less bulky without risking getting the dimensions too tight.

This one's used by someone who is 5' 10" and 160 lbs. It has an 80 degree frame angle and the C package spec'd at 16Wx16D, no seat taper, and V front end with 10" spacing at the footrest. It has 19.5/16.5 STF heights, a seat-to-footrest of 16.5, and a 6" ergo seat.

You may already know the following suggestions since you already have a TR, but I'll mention them just in case:

You didn't say whether you were getting the C package. If it was not included on your TR, you may want to consider it for the ZR. It can have a significant effect on how bulky the ZR will feel (specifically the "V" front end and no charge adjustable tension seat upholstery).

Note the footrest clearance in the above pic, make sure to take into account both knee clearance and ground clearance with the lower STF heights.

With the cantilevered frame of the ZR, you will get better forward stability with an 80 or 85 degree front frame and 16" deep seat (especially with FrogLegs). The chair pictured above was not front tippy--even when I was reaching down while sitting on only the front 2/3 of the seat. I have not always found that to be the case with shorter seat depths or sharper frame angles.

To keep the overall width down, you can specify the minimum rear wheel spacing and order the no charge spacers to increase it if necessary.

Good luck.
    Last edited by SCI_OTR; 05-22-2007 at 11:24 PM.

Thanks for the help everyone and thanks for those pictures. Taking your advises in consideration, I will go with the following spec:

15"width x 16"depth
    16" rear height, 19" front height
    85 deg front frame
    tapered front frame set for 10" footrest width
    24" spinergy LX/white spokes, 4" front wheels
    3.25 COG
    1" rear wheel spacing
    12.5"-16.5" adjustable seat back height
    89 deg seat back angle (I like to sit very straight for better posture)

And now, wheres the cheapest place online to order a ZR?

Thanks everyone.
    May 2000, T4-5 Complete.

Nam-Myoho-Renge-Kyo