Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone take liquid vitamins?

Anyone take liquid vitamins?

Have a brand to recommend? The chewable ones I'm taking keep clogging up my catheter. arg.

How do vitamins clog the cath?

*Vote for Change 2004*

Ok well this is my theory, but everytime I take a vitamin about 6 hrs after the fact my cath (I use a foley...bad I know) gets clogged with these huge chunks of sediment. Its like clockwork. I believe my body isn't absorbing the vitamins that well. So that's why I'm looking into liquid vitamins.

You're supposed to swallow them....oops!

Are you taking a calcium supplement? I don't know how anything else would result in sediment unless some of the vitamin C you are taking is loosening up sediment from your catheter, which is then coming down lower in your bag and causing clogs. Have you tried taking extra water when you take your vitamins?

(KLD)

MORE WATER

I have a liquid B12 that I try to take whenever I remember. I regularly forget it though. (I'm taking it right now since you reminded me . thanks!) It is 'NOW' brand. The only reason I got this particular brand is because it was the only one the health food store had in the size I wanted. I have no complaints other than a yucky taste. Which I believe is kind of unavoidable with liquid vitamins. The only thing that may be hard for you is if you don't have good hand function it could be hard for you to take independently. I agree with the more h2O suggestion. Also, are you taking the vitamins on an empty stomach? It may help to eat something light to help the body digest them better?

" The best way to predict the future is to invent it."
    - Alan Kay

Ok well this is my theory, but everytime I take a vitamin about 6 hrs after the fact my cath (I use a foley...bad I know) gets clogged with these huge chunks of sediment. Its like clockwork. I believe my body isn't absorbing the vitamins that well. So that's why I'm looking into liquid vitamins.
    I seem to have noticed a significant change ( in urine) as you mention and it is mostly with a "Vitamin B multi-vitamin" tablet.

The other vitamins I take and have taken over the years don't seem to have the effect. I do intermittent cath and it is noticeable.

Someone recently suggested the liquid B vitamins and better absorbtion. I am going to give it a try.

i take so many vitamins my pee is neon yellow

Thanks Amanda for the NOW recommendation.

I drink a lot of water, but I doubt its enough. It never seems enough. I try taking my oral vitamins with a meal, but usually my meal isn't big enough, the pill doesn't get absorbed, then bam! Clog city. My oral vitamins have only 10% of my daily calcium. I take this amount because when I used to take 100% calcium in my vitamins my cath would clog even worse.

www.tropicalnutrition.com/site/page/pg417.html has good tasting full spectrum liquid vitamins. GNC carries their brand. www.NaturesPlus.com has a good pineapple flavored adult chewable which can be found at most health food stores.