Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: hemorrhoidectomy

My husband had it, tough recovery for him. His hemmorroids were huge, size of fist. Even though recovery was tough, he would do it again.....

//

Alissa, by your own admission the issue of a prolapsed rectum has only been briefly touched upon on this site. I'm simply providing visual information to folks on this site since you brought up the topic. Yes, it is an extreme example of a prolapsed rectum. However, I'm not making fun of you. Moreover, who says every reply to every question has to be oozing with compassion? Do you want someone to hold your hand and give you milk and cookies? Are you against responses that include facts figures, pictures and personal experiences too? In the past, I've had hemorrhoids and I've had them banded. A couple years later they are back and it needs to be done again. If I had a picture of them...it would be posted. If you don't like something on the net, it's only a mouse click away to move on to something else.

man u guys are making me real glad i dont have hemroids, ouch

[This message was edited by alissa on 10-02-04 at 06:54 PM.]

Originally posted by cindy:

My husband had it, tough recovery for him. His hemmorroids were huge, size of fist. Even though recovery was tough, he would do it again.....

//
    Cindy,

Can you please elaborate on tough recovery?
    You can PM me if you'd rather. I would so appreciate some real life experience here.

peace

Alissa said:

I am looking for much needed information on a serious condition, and came to the 1 place I thought I might find that. I guess I was wrong.
    You weren't wrong Alissa ....(just gotta sort the wheat from the chaff now and again)! My Mom has had to deal with this but she is not SCI and it seems to come and go for her so she has not had to deal with it surgically yet!

Here's another link I found for you Alissa ...
    Rectal Prolapse!

Obieone

Originally posted by Obieone:

Alissa said:

I am looking for much needed information on a serious condition, and came to the 1 place I thought I might find that. I guess I was wrong.
    You weren't wrong Alissa ....(just gotta sort the wheat from the chaff now and again)! My Mom has had to deal with this but she is not SCI and it seems to come and go for her so she has not had to deal with it surgically yet!

Obieone
    Thanks Obie - for the information and perspective.

Recently had the 'operation'

I thought I had a high tolerance for pain. I'm a hockey player, soccer player, mountain climber, extreme snowboarder, mountainbiker, etc. I've broken more bones in my body than I haven't.

This pain was the worst pain I've ever felt. I have had multiple bone settings while awake due to serious injuries in my shoulders, arms and wrists and dislocations, but pain from this operation topped that by a million.

I'll try to summarize my story. I've had these buttroids ever since I can remember. When I was in the Army, they got exaggerated. I waived to not have them taken care of at that time. 25 years go by, and with my active lifestyle I decided I could take no more. I was sick of having my 'roids' pop out while climbing a 14er, or while out snowboarding or mountainbiking. It was incredibly painful when it would pop out and I would have to take a Sitz bath and push it back in every time it would do that. It would pop out after each bowel movement too, so it goes without saying I had to plan on bathing after each BM.

So starts the treatment options. I went in for banding, and it hurt so bad they had to stop. The only other option at this point was the hemorrhoidectomy. I thought, no problem. I have such a high tolerance for pain, I will use the week after the operation to go lay out by the pool & chill.

So, now the operation. I've been eating super high fiber diets for years, so I didn't really have to change much prior to the operation. I go in, I get knocked out, and I wake up feeling like there was a red hot poker stuck deep up my rectum and there wasn't anything I could do about it. I was told I had to pee before they would release me to my ride, as it was planned as an outpatient procedure, but the pain was so intense I was unable to produce any urine. (Also since I was unable to drink after 10:00 p.m. the night before and couldn't have anything until the operation which took place at 2:00 p.m. the next day, so there was little if any urine in me anyway.)

Now the 1st night at the hospital. I was on a morphine drip, and dilated (sp?) and I was still in tons of pain and still could not pee. They kept monitor my bladder and when it got to like 60% full, they would have to rod me (stick a catheter up my peehole and pull out the pee) - and this hurt like crazy too. (I actually had to stick my face in a pillow and scream when they were sticking that catheter in).

Well, I must have fallen asleep for an hour or so, and in doing so, I was not pushing my morphine drip (which I had a button to push every 10 minutes if I needed). I woke up in so much pain, I thought I was dying. The nurse came in, checked on things, increased my morphine & left me wimpering (yes almost crying) for the rest of the night.

The next morning, the doctor came to check in and pull out the packing. That felt like the red hot poker coming out of my butt, and hurt, but relieved some of the pressure and pain I was feeling there. I still couldn't stop pushing the morphine drip though, nor could I pee. Finally, after hours and hours of struggling, I managed to get some urine out. I was released!

I was so drugged up, I barely remember the ride home, etc.

Once home, I was bedridden for the entire week and the pain continued. I was taking the maximum dosage of my pain killers, and it was barely managing the pain to where I could even watch TV!!! I was in so much pain I could do nothing but lay there and wimper. So much for me having a high tolerance for pain and being tough...

My 1st BM was worse than what they do to anyone at Gitmo... It was so incredibly painful, I was in the tub, and had to scoop out the poo since I could not sit on the toilet. This went on for the 1st couple of BMs, and since I was fighting the painkillers stopping me up, and the laxatives I was taking, it was hard to find the balance. I'm still having a hard time with this.

Anyway, it has been 2 weeks now, and I still have to take my pain meds. (I have to double them in the morning when I have my multiple BMs, as it puts so much strain on my hiney.) I am barely able to walk without looking like I have corn cob up my rear. I will be going back to work on Monday, and I am fearing how it's going to be, as I am still not regular, and I have to bath after each BM so that I can clean myself. I cannot wipe, even with wet tissue. I still have stitches in my bum, but they are starting to fall out.

I will give an update at the end of this next week when I go back work in case anyone is curious as to what this procedure is all about.

One more important note: The doctors tried to do the less invasive and less painful method of removing my roids, but had to revert back to the old-fashioned way. I was in so much pain when my doctor was explaining, I think I only heard the jist of what he was saying...

I recommend the surgery, Alissa. Once the roids reach a certain size, no ice or cold packs or Preparation - H will help.

I had 'roids the size of golf balls in 2005. I had a 30-minute operation to remove them, followed by an overnight hospital stay.
    I sweated profusely after surgery, from AD.

But I had weekly bowel accidents for the next two months because the sutures sent the wrong signal to the autonomic nervous system (AD).

In the long run, despite the AD, the surgery is worth it.

Wow, I thought I had ass troubles.

I didn't mean to have mine removed, but was already arse-up in the OR for a rectal fistula so the colo-rectal surgeon had at them. It was as if I had sat on a coffee grinder. I'd do it again in a heartbeat though. Well worth the recovery period. I just had that twilight anesthesia, went home that day. Took a lot o sitz baths. It wasn't fun, but I've seen worse, many times.