Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Salvage or Rebuilt title

Salvage or Rebuilt title

Has anyone bought a converted minivan with a salvage or rebuilt title?? What was your experience like??

Carfax says of the one that I am interested in that it was not in a major accident, no engine, chasis, transmission or water damage. Airbags were not deployed. Some bumper and rear door damage. Title is rebuilt.

What do you think??
    T6 complete (or so I think), SCI since September 21, 2003

Rebuilt title=bad news. Over ~80% of vehicle value in damages. Possible flood or god knows what. Possible that that thing might be 2 vehicles combined to create one. Best to stay away from.

This is what carfax says about it:

Problems Checked Results Found Abandoned No Abandoned Record Reported to AutoCheck Damaged No Damaged Record Reported to AutoCheck Fire Damage No Fire Damage Record Reported to AutoCheck Grey Market No Grey Market Record Reported to AutoCheck Hail Damage No Hail Damage Record Reported to AutoCheck Insurance Loss Insurance Loss Record(s) Reported to AutoCheck Junk No Junk Record Reported to AutoCheck Rebuilt/Rebuildable No Rebuilt/Rebuildable Record Reported to AutoCheck Salvage Salvage Record(s) Reported to AutoCheck

Problems Checked Results Found NHTSA Crash Test Vehicle No NHTSA Crash Test Record Reported to AutoCheck Frame Damage No Frame Damage Record Reported to AutoCheck Major Damage Incident No Major Damage Record Reported to AutoCheck Manufacturer Buyback/Lemon No Manufacturer Buyback/Lemon Record Reported to AutoCheck Odometer Problem No Odometer Problem Record Reported to AutoCheck Recycled No Recycled Record Reported to AutoCheck Salvage Auction No Salvage Auction Record Reported to AutoCheck Water Damage No Water Damage Record Reported to AutoCheck

It appears to be salvage. Minor damage to the back reported. Can we trust these reports?? It matches with what the seller is telling me.

Sometimes the report is right, sometimes it isnt all it seems. It depends on the state the vehicle came from. If an insurance company wrote it off (even with the insanely high $$$ for a converted minivan), I dunno. Is there an internet ad on it somewhere we can see?

I get kind of uneasy with that one being the suspicious sort that I am. Why would that thing get totalled for minor damage? But the thing that is setting off alarm bells is looking at the nice and clean interior, freshly cleaned. But if you look in the crevices such as the seat mount holes and weatherstripping, what the heck is all that brown gunk in there? How did that brown gunk make it in there? There have been lots of hurricanes and floods lately, and lots of vehicles involved in them. And lots of people pawning them off as well. Just on visual evidence of suspicious goo in odd places I'd jump to the conclusion that this things history is a little more checkered than what is being admitted to. Flood and vehicle=no fun. I'd say avoid this one, might save you some headaches.

Man, what an eye you have. I donĀ“t see the brown gunk. The vehicle history report says it is a salvage with no major damage reported, no flood damage, no frame damage, fire damage or anything else.

The frigging report shows salvage but does not specify. Your question is valid, why salvage for minor damage??

I put some arrows on spots that I am wondering about. Hard to clean in there, and why is that there to begin with? Like I said, I'm a real suspicious sort

The decision is tough. I know- as family buys damaged auction vehices and rebuilds them. The title will always be salvaged. It can at times be a tough sell then for you later...
    all I can say is that every vehicle my son has (had) except one has been a salvaged title vehicle . And every single one has been a good, reliable vehicle for him and the next owner(s).
    You say the report matches the owners description. Ask the seller of the previous owner info., where they bought it...who fixed it? I would think you can track this more in depth through CarFax.
    "I want to make a difference! However small it may be~ as long as it's a positive one, then this is what my life will have been about and I will go knowing I did my best.~ T.