Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

Thread: shox solid tires

:-) to each his own.

All I have experienced are the gunshot blowouts. The glories of HP.

If I did the bench transfer, I probably would use solids. I just use two separate chairs - $previous_chair for the shower and $current_chair for everyday. Solids on the shower chair.

Still lovin my new SHOX. they are performing just as the K1k's did or better AND not a single blow-out or trip to the air compressor or pump!!!!
    L1 Complete - Injury 3/12/06 - Grateful to be alive!!!!

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by tooley View Post
    Considering I'm always somewhere with an air compressor around I guess I'll order some Marathon's and find out for myself. I'm going to use buddha's advice and take them to a bike guy. Thanks OTR.
    the proof is in the pudding. Higher rolling resistance is not a myth, when comparing Shox solids to hi-pressure SpeedRuns.

Sorry to those of whom I doubted.

Despite buying the wrong MTB tubes initially and farting around without my beloved Spinergy's for a couple days, I'm loving how fast/far these things roll! Going to buy a little compressor right now.

Gotta order some fancy TiLite/sci_otr tubes as well, my quad paws are just gonna tear up these rubber valve stems. I ended up using a 24 x 1.125 tube in my 23-559 tires though, is there any reason sci_otr's linked 26" tubes shouldn't work in a SpeedRun?

----------

p.s. wow! like night and day out on the asphault/sidewalk cracks
    Last edited by tooley; 08-18-2010 at 09:06 PM. Reason: confirmed

yeah...i'm using 1 3/8" in my marathon plus.rolling resistant isnt a myth. i used to ignore in my early-plegia, but later seems like it drains all my energy out.

i took sci_otr advice and fill it more than needed, so when i pull the pump valve off, the remaining pressure will be sufficient. it is a hard ride, + jay2 which is not that comfy. lucky my chair is a folder.somewhere it loses the jolt.i prefer the ease to push rather than the comfortability...

does the solid tire have low rolling resistance?i hate having to fill up the air over and over, but i like the idea of the light/easy push...how wud they differ?
    walking is OVER-RATED!!!

Broken in August 14th, 2003. T9-L1 complete.

Quote Originally Posted by nia adha View Post
    does the solid tire have low rolling resistance?i hate having to fill up the air over and over, but i like the idea of the light/easy push...how wud they differ?
    the solids aren't bad when they are brand new because they have a tall thin centre tread that rolls easy until they wear down and begin rolling on the full tread. Then the ride gets harsh over rougher terrain and the rolling resistance is ridiculous, compared to a high-pressure road tire.

sci_otr linked a study earlier in this thread that indicates a hi-pressure wheel will roll twice as far as a solid tire - I totally agree.

For the first 8 months of indepedent life in a chair I loved my solids for being maintenance free. Now 1 year post-sci as my hand function steadily returns and I am alot more active I'm happy I switched to pneumatics.

dat means i'll stay with the marathon then...i dont know why, but my new marathon-plus-equipped chair seems to lose its tread fast.my i'm more active compared to when i first used my marathon, but only 2-3 weeks i can see the tread degrading...

do they have quality control issue?i bought marathon bcoz it lasts longer (my initial thought being semi-active wheeler).now it seems like it wont even last 6 months.i maintain the pressure well...

no other issue though...
    walking is OVER-RATED!!!

Broken in August 14th, 2003. T9-L1 complete.

Shox Tires

I just got the Spinergy Rims and shox tires not so happy yet.. I think the rims will save me lots of money on replacement spokes and the tires I thought would reduce cost also but I am not sure if i can take all the noise the tires make on the rims. Sounds like wet sneakers on a basketball court... omg does anyone know how to fix it?