Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Finding My Path-all signs point toward recovery

Hey Cripply,

I agree, there is a great deal we don't understand. It boggles my mind to think how little we actually know compared to the infinite magnitude of all that which we cannot see or grasp with our minds. It makes no sense to not believe that anything is possible.

I was curious... did the energy work do anything? Any less anger?

Quote Originally Posted by madcolin
    Hey Cripply,

I agree, there is a great deal we don't understand. It boggles my mind to think how little we actually know compared to the infinite magnitude of all that which we cannot see or grasp with our minds. It makes no sense to not believe that anything is possible.

I was curious... did the energy work do anything? Any less anger?
    It actually did work, but it was short lived...

Slowly but surely my recovery seems to be continuing. Many times I get trapped in my frustration of the pace, wishing muscles would just come back to life, but I quickly remember that I must be grateful for every small step I can make.

Lately I've been noticing large improvements in the strength of my core, including my back extensor's, abdominals as well as my obliques. For a few days I was getting intense abdominal spasms with any type of movement I would make. Slowly the spasms began to calm down but I was left with an increased feeling of strength. Doing small crunches in my wheelchair I would begin to get extremely sore to the point where it was hard to take. Not only was I feeling it in the upper abs but lower down as well, something that I have never felt before. The results of my increased core strength is especially noticeable when pushing around my manual chair. I'm beginning to incorporate my entire body while pushing focusing on tightening my core and pushing down through my legs with each push. I'm now able to lean into pushes more with increased force.

Some days I will slide a wedge underneath my cushion so that my hips are level with my knees. I do this in order to take pressure off the sacrum and encourage a better seating posture. However, pushing is more difficult and my backrest is lower, so I feel less stable. I have been using side supports to help with my stability, but over the past couple of days I feel so strong in the core that I decided to take them off. Now that they are gone, mentally I realize I must constantly be supporting myself and my core is now working twice as hard. Just sitting still I can feel tightening sensations 360° around my body.

When pushing for recovery, there is something to be said for never letting your body get comfortable. Sure, I could have left the side supports on and made my life easier, but by constantly testing my body, the muscles are forced to react. I believe that seating posture is extremely important when it comes recovery. You can spend three hours a day working out but if you go right back to your chair and sit horribly, the effects are not going to be good. I always have a substantial lumbar support, so that my back extensor's are always reminded to do their job.

I've also had some interesting experiences with electrical stimulation lately. Recently at Shepherd center I was doing some standing exercises with e-stim on my triceps so that I could hold my upper body up better. The triceps extension suddenly kicked in all sorts of muscle groups up and down my body. It was as if the arms extending kicked in various muscle patterns. My back extensors fired up, my glutes, abdominals, and quads. The results were not spastic either, but the muscles were kicking in at very appropriate times, seemingly from my commands. I believe we are going to try and implement the same results while walking in a platform walker. Should be interesting.

At center IMT they have been doing a particular treatment going down my spine working on each vertebrae. I feel like this certain treatment is very powerful for me, and I have felt huge releases of pressure in my sacrum, followed by feelings of warmth and tingling down my legs. So far they have done down to T12, which makes me think that this possibly could be contributing to my increased core strength.

Overall I am feeling a better sense of connections all over my body. Whenever I feel recovery happening it seems like energy flow is improving from my head to my toes. It is sometimes frustrating as I feel so much happening inside of me, and it feels so powerful, but the people around me cannot see the magnitude of what I can feel occurring. But I am becoming more and more convinced that huge amounts of recovery is in my future.

Madcolin,

You are expeiriencing alot of the things that I do. I am about 8 months deeper into it, in terms of injury. You're right about the frustration, I get it all the time. Every time I think it's over, it starts again, I would have never beleived recovery could take so long.

Things start and then stop. I jet ahead, and then nothing for a long time. But it seems the more I push, the better it gets. I have tried everything, but time, seems to be helping, as well as a determination to go ahead. It's alot of hard effort, and I don't know if I'll ever see a total return. But if I don't keep trying I'll never know.

Funny thing is the leg with the most feeling is the one that doesn't respond as well. It baffles everyone. I'm slowly getting rid of the meds, as I forget to take them, it's going unnoticed. Sometimes for days, then it hits me why I feel like I'm going backwards, but I almost always find I need less of them.

My lifestyle is enough of a workout, and trying to keep up with my old self, even PT swore me off. They felt I was better off alone, if I could keep up with what I wanted to do. They were right, but it's strating to pay off more and more.

It's official, I weigh 167 pounds meaning I've gained 22 pounds in the past year or less. When the nurse told me at a recent doctor's appointment I did not believe her, so the following week I weighed myself again and sure enough she was right. I have a ridiculously high metabolism so I'm pretty sure it's all muscle. It's kind of hard to believe because that is how much I weighed pre-injury, but the scale doesn't lie.

where was the first center you did IMT at? I have a appointment at the one in Elmhurst,IL and was wondering if anyone else had been to that one? I have a t8 SCI injury date 9/27/07, and the only recovery I have had is some muscule use below the injury but no outside feeling. I have one of those standers with the glider attachment so I can work my legs out. Is there anything else you can do in the US? I have been looking into going to New Delhi India and having stem cell injections done http://www.healingtherapies.info/hESC.htm but I don't know that much about what is legit or not. Also money is always a issue.

Quote Originally Posted by SethO
    where was the first center you did IMT at? I have a appointment at the one in Elmhurst,IL and was wondering if anyone else had been to that one? I have a t8 SCI injury date 9/27/07, and the only recovery I have had is some muscule use below the injury but no outside feeling. I have one of those standers with the glider attachment so I can work my legs out. Is there anything else you can do in the US? I have been looking into going to New Delhi India and having stem cell injections done http://www.healingtherapies.info/hESC.htm but I don't know that much about what is legit or not. Also money is always a issue.
    The first and only center I have been at is the one in Atlanta. There is one guy at the Atlanta center right now who is from Illinois but I'm not sure if he has been to the one in Elmhurst or not. I am out of town right now, but I can ask him about it when I get back in a couple of weeks.

There are plenty of options here in the US. I have stated here in this thread what I am trying to do to recover. At this point I am not interested in anything that is an invasive such as stem cell injections. I'm not sure about the long-term effects and I believe I can recover without any type of surgeries. Just keep searching for your various options and keep an open mind.

It has been a while since I've updated this thread. I think this is partially true because I was waiting on some huge recovery to share. There is no doubt that I've had recovery lately. Stronger trunk muscles, both triceps kicking in, scapular and chest muscles firing and showing strength. Even my legs have shown some strength lately, taking steps with my left leg in the pool, and actually pushing down through my right leg at times. All of these strides have kept me going, and provide me hope, but I have to admit that I have large expectations for myself. I continue to fully believe that I will be walking again.

My regiment of healing continues to be integrative manual therapy, intensive exercise, and Francis the healer. I recently got back from a trip to see Francis. It is amazing what occurs during these weeks of healing. With each and every trip the healings become more and more powerful. As Francis puts his hands on my neck and back, I feel heat radiating from his hands, slowly my entire body begins to buzz and tingle, as I feel warmth spread through my tissues. A feeling of peace and calm comes over me, as I once again trying to fathom what it is that I'm experiencing.

It is my belief that the energy Francis puts into my body is in fact healing my nerves. It is my theory that integrative manual therapy plays a large role in opening up my body systems, so that the healing Francis provides is able to flow and reach the areas necessary for the recovery of my nervous system. IMT ultimately provides the body with a suitable environment so that the natural process of healing can occur. I believe that the healing I get from Francis tremendously increases the potential and the ability that my body has to heal itself. Exercise will become more and more important, as my body continues to revive and recover.

I may have a long road ahead of me. Possibly longer than I'd previously imagined but I continue to believe that I will walk again. All the sensations and energy I feel flowing through my legs, are too powerful for it not to turn into something. I've yet to truly prove myself in what I believe is going to happen to me. I can talk all I want about the sensations I feel and the energy, but until I am standing and showing visible improvement to get out of this wheelchair, my words have little power. I am definitely making large strides in comparison to where I was, but at the same time my expectations are far from reached at the moment.

In the coming months I hope to prove myself, but at the same time I have the feeling that more than anything I must do this for myself. As I continue to share my journey now and in the future, I do not hope everyone does what I do, but I hope I provide inspiration for people to open their eyes and their minds to all the opportunities that life has to offer. I hope I provide the inspiration for people to step outside of the box that they live in, and create something that they never thought possible.

My constant efforts to dig down a little deeper and discover what I am made of has been a tremendous experience. I've undertaken an effort to recover on a spiritual, emotional, and physical level. The road has been hard and sometimes painful, but when I look back, it is truly hard to believe how far I've come. One day I will be rewarded, by rising to my feet and walking.

Right on! Keep up the hard work. You will continue to improve and continue to recover as long as that is your focus and recovery is a priority! Good luck.