Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Finding My Path-all signs point toward recovery

Finding My Path-all signs point toward recovery

After about a year of seriously searching for my path in this life, my parents and I have made a decision. The first week of June, my parents and I will be relocating to Atlanta, Georgia where I will participate in the "first step" program at center IMT along with the Beyond Therapy program at the Shepherd center.

Honestly, Atlanta was the last place I expected to end up. I had never heard of center IMT before and didn't think much of it but for some reason the place kept popping up in my life so I decided to try it out. My experience there was completely different than anything I imagined and the approach that they take to healing a spinal cord injury has not been easy for me to embrace. First off, during the initial phases of recovery they believe that exercise is not the priority! I couldn't believe it! Everything I have learned in the past year has told me that exercise is the key. Needless to say, I was not buying into the theory.

It is center IMT's belief that the body during initial phases of recovery is not stabilized enough to be put through a rigorous exercise program. Therefore, initially their goal is to enhance the entire system of the body once again creating a healthy individual who has basically gotten sick because of a shutdown nervous system. For example, I discovered I had a partially collapsed lung and didn't even know it. I have not been getting nearly enough oxygen to my brain. I also discovered that what I thought was simply nerve pain, was a displaced vertebrae in my sacral region. After many of these issues are resolved, exercise is implemented more and more.

Center IMT is not easy to explain, and I hesitate to try. Basically they stand by the "inside out" theory. Directing the body towards its natural tendency to heal within and then the outer physical capabilities fallow. This is especially prominent during phase 1 of recovery. To enhance the healing, therapists use integrative manual therapy techniques created by Sharon Giammateo. They do this simply by using their hands.

Beyond therapy stands more so by a "outside in" theory, manipulating the outside of the body through exercise so that the inside heals. Locomotor training and intense exercise maintains much of the focus. As of right now Center IMT and beyond therapy are both part of my game plan. There is also a healer I go and see on a regular basis, who is located in Texas.

I have questioned my decision many times, but my parents and I agree that this is where we are being led at the time. I am very confident that significant recovery is going to occur in the near future, in fact it already is.

I am dedicated to various treatments at the time recommended by center IMT. One of the most impressive treatments in my mind has been inclined bed therapy. At the request of Andrew Fletcher, I have started an inclined bed Journal in the Europe forum. This simple technique, seems to be very effective.

http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthread.php?t=81606
    Last edited by madcolin; 05-17-2007 at 04:23 PM.

Anger management

One of the exercises assigned to me by center IMT is bat therapy. Throughout our lives we have different experiences which contain certain emotions. Many of these emotions are negative and we store them in our tissues and repress them as we move on with our lives. These repressed emotions can actually prevent healing.

With bat therapy, I swing plastic baseball bats while expressing negative emotions from different age levels. I might go back to when I was 13, think about what I was angry about, and scream out these frustrations. The feeling of release is incredible.

I deal with a great deal of resentment. This resentment can be so strong that subconsciously I possibly don't want to get better. Sounds crazy, but the mind can be a crazy thing.

Check it out...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=WZ9Z53kR6I0
    Last edited by madcolin; 05-23-2007 at 11:17 AM.

"One of the exercises assigned to me by center IMT is bat therapy"

you are kidding, right?

Quote Originally Posted by chasb
    "One of the exercises assigned to me by center IMT is bat therapy"

you are kidding, right?
    LOL

Sorry man, but I'm afraid I'm not.

Quote Originally Posted by MadColin
    After about a year of seriously searching for my path in this life, my parents and I have made a decision. The first week of June, my parents and I will be relocating to Atlanta, Georgia where I will participate in the "first step" program at center IMT along with the Beyond Therapy program at the Shepherd center.
    Hi MadColin,

It's hard for me to believe that you, along with your parents, have decided to upset your lives and move to Atlanta so that you can attend such an unorthodox SCI therapy outfit like Center IMT. Your parents must really love you.... and have a few bucks.

but my parents and I agree that this is where we are being led
    Led by whom?

I saw a show on that rubber foam 'bat therapy" or "anger expulsion" 20 or more years ago on TV. I thought it was hilarious then and still do now. It's similar in nature to "scream therapy". Personally I think it's a bunch of bull, but to each their own. I do my own "scream therapy" everytime I get a severe muscle spasm that almost knocks me outta this chair. And they're not pretty words.

It sounds to me as though Center IMT is basing a lot of their therapy on Eastern-based "medicine" such as acupuncture and herbal remedies etc. And the "deep muscle massage type of therapy" that they offer a lot of in CA. Along with high colonic cleansing?! I say insert one Magic Bullet and call me in the morning. Actually in about 5-30 minutes!

At the request of Andrew Fletcher, I have started an inclined bed Journal in the Europe forum. This simple technique, seems to be very effective.
    You can do that at home with a couple of bricks. But.....

Good luck. I hope things work out for you.

Bob.
    "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle." - Philo of Alexandria

Quote Originally Posted by bob clark
    It's hard for me to believe that you, along with your parents, have decided to upset your lives and move to Atlanta so that you can attend such an unorthodox SCI therapy outfit like Center IMT.
    I can't argue with you of the fact that Center IMT is rather unorthodox for they have broken away from what can be deemed as conventional or traditional ways of healing and recovery. I am also not surprised that you would find our move hard to believe because it is not always easy to embrace such modalities. However, at its core Center IMT is actually based on science, something Sue Leger, general manager of Center IMT Atlanta, constantly drove home to me as I approached her with question after question. It seems to me that this whole spinal cord injury thing has us in somewhat of a pickle, and perhaps an unorthodox theory is necessary to break free from it.

Your parents must really love you.... and have a few bucks.
    Yes, I am very lucky to have the support of my family.

Led by whom?.
    Well, that seems to be the ultimate question. I wish I knew the answer. But I do know that there is something out there which guides us in our lives. Something which clearly displays through the circumstances of our day to day activities, a path for us to follow. I believe in order to see this path, we must keep our eyes open and then have the courage to follow displayed opportunities.

I saw a show on that rubber foam 'bat therapy" or "anger expulsion" 20 or more years ago on TV. I thought it was hilarious then and still do now. It's similar in nature to "scream therapy". Personally I think it's a bunch of bull, but to each their own. I do my own "scream therapy" everytime I get a severe muscle spasm that almost knocks me outta this chair. And they're not pretty words.
    All I know is, I don't feel nearly as much resentment since starting this type of therapy. Resentment causes us to want to be victims, and I don't want to be a victim anymore. Plus letting out anger just feels good.

It sounds to me as though Center IMT is basing a lot of their therapy on Eastern-based "medicine" such as acupuncture and herbal remedies etc. And the "deep muscle massage type of therapy" that they offer a lot of in CA.
    Their approach definitely has an Eastern feel to it, but there is also a lot of Western influences. The most important aspect is the application of integrative manual therapy, using hand placements to direct healing. The attitude over there is completely genuine. They only want to get people better, and if there is something out there which might help, then they're willing to try it.

I read Sue Leger's entire dissertation on integrative manual therapy and its effects on spinal cord injury, and I still couldn't quite wrap my mind around it. It all seems too simple and complicated at the same time. But the thing is, while doing the treatment I felt a deeper understanding because the experience was telling me that it was working. I think it's something you just have to experience to understand.

Most importantly, Center IMT helps me KNOW that recovery is going to happen and I'd say that is probably more than half the battle.

madcolin, thanks for sharing your experiences and not letting the skepticism stop your efforts.
    Daniel

Hi Colin,
    I agree with Dan. I hope you keep posting about your therapy despite the critics.

Both my parents are doctors and so I was very much raised with the notion that Western-based treatments are more desirable than others. But lately I have become very interested in Eastern or other so-called untraditional treatments and therapies. I have hit a wall in terms of skyrocketing pain, chronic poor health, and depression/lack of motivation--all of which is severly impeeding my recovery and attempts to get an aggressive physical therapy program underway. What I have been doing so far doesn't seem all that effective and I am ready to look elsewhere. If the conventional is not working, I am thinking it is time to think outside the box. I am expecting some resistance from my parents but I need to find something that will work for me.

It is interesting to hear about your progress here and on your blog and to watch your videos on You Tube. I wish you continued success.

Last edited by orangejello; 05-23-2007 at 11:51 AM.

Good for you Colin. I've been keeping up with your blog too and I'm glad to see you've made the difficult choice of where to spend the next stage of your life.

It's all about what you feel deep down and I can see that after a lot of thinking, this is the best thing for you. I'm anxious to see how it works out.

I have no doubt that you will benefit from this path you are taking if you keep the same attitude and work ethic you've had up to this point.
    -------7-23-04----------
    C5/6- Workin' on Recovery
    www.darrentempleton.com
    www.pushtowalknj.org

Quote Originally Posted by orangejello
    Hi Colin,
    I agree with Dan. I hope you keep posting about your therapy despite the critics.

Both my parents are doctors and so I was very much raised with the notion that Western-based treatments are more desirable than others. But lately I have become very interested in Eastern or other so-called untraditional treatments and therapies. I have hit a wall in terms of skyrocketing pain, chronic poor health, and depression/lack of motivation--all of which is severly impeeding my recovery and attempts to get an aggressive physical therapy program underway. What I have been doing so far doesn't seem all that effective and I am ready to look elsewhere. If the conventional is not working, I am thinking it is time to think outside the box. I am expecting some resistance from my parents but I need to find something that will work for me.

It is interesting to hear about your progress here and on your blog and to watch your videos on You Tube. I wish you continued success.

Thanks Dan and OJ. It actually helps me a lot to hear from people who are willing to keep an open mind. There's going to be skeptics but all I wish to do is share my experiences so that we can all learn from each other.

There is no magic bullet, but there is a plethora of simple techniques to enhance health and recovery in the body, many of which we have yet to discover. And I'm not talking about stem cells. What works for me may not work for someone else and what works for someone else may not work for me. The key is to dedicate yourself to searching for that one possible approach to recovery that will enhance healing in YOUR body. That approach might involve several techniques but it's possible that this combination could culminate to create recovery.

OJ, I cannot say exactly where you are right now, because I'm not you, but I can definitely relate to what you are saying. For a long time, I dealt with health issues, pain issues, and a lack of motivation. Yet through all of this, I continued to push myself exercising. I forced myself to go to the gym but my workouts had a complete lack of motivation. And worst of all I was not working out because I wanted to and thought it would help, I was just doing it because I thought I had to. In the meantime, every morning I felt sick, every two weeks I was getting a urinary infection, and everyday I had a shooting sciatic pain going down my right leg.

I went to my spinal cord doctor for all of these symptoms and the answer was basically I just had to deal with it because I was a spinal cord injury...and I believed it. Now however, the past month all of these symptoms have either reduced greatly or disappeared. My urinary infections are gone, I'm waking up with more energy, and the apparent "nerve pain" has reduced considerably. By the way that apparent "nerve pain" was actually a displaced vertebrae in my sacrum that was pinching against the nerves. How am I my supposed to recover movement in my legs if the nerve is being pinched?! The first goal of centerIMT is to structurally aligne the spine so that nerves are free to travel. Who knows, maybe spinal cord injuries are not getting better because poor posture has created misalignments in the spine.

I'm excited for you OJ. It is absolutely necessary for you to think outside the box if you wish to achieve the unexpected. All the truly great thinkers of the past thought outside the box, and were ridiculed for doing so but now we look at them with the greatest admiration. But it's not even about being admired, it's about discovering your potential for creation. You can do this by making that phone call, taking that road trip, and following that which you are compelled to do. With dedication, you just might find what you are looking for.