Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Keeping up your yard

Keeping up your yard

Hey, I am so surprised at what I did yesterday. Nick has been trying to keep our yard clean from weeds and looking nice but it has been a really big job to keep up with. With the rains we had we are fighting so much grass growth and weeds. He likes to water the ground so he can pull the weeds out from the roots and I think he should just start by cutting everything down for this time instead. I suggested that he might do it all now by cutting everything and then work with the new weeds as they start to show. Maybe it might not be smart but I feel so bad to see him trying to be caregiver, dad all by himself and keep up with everything here. I had been trying to get more strength back and ridding myself of the pain from my shoulders gone kaput and also the arthritis. Have been taking more vitamins too and it seems that they are helping me too.

I told him that as soon as I felt better, he could help me get on the ground and sit on a pillow or something so I could help him clean. The grass has been getting into the rocio(a groundcover plant) underneath my rose bushes and in just about everything else. My yard is pretty big and he so wants to make it look good but it is a lot work for just one person. Oh, he doesn't want to hire someone to work on it. He says he wants it to be the way he likes it and that he likes to work on it himself. Soooo, I guess we will need to do it ourselves eh?

Anyway, yesterday afternoon we were outside and I noticed the grass that was coming in from the neighbor's side onto our side. I tried to pull it but it was too low for me to reach it all. I asked him to cut it with our trimmer and from thereon we started doing more. I looked at the edges on the front of the bouganvillea and the walkway and my mind started to spin it's wheels. I saw the trimmer and began to size it up. Hmmm, I didn't think it might be too heavy for me to work with it. So, I asked him to give it to me to see how heavy it was. Actually I was surprised to feel it. I thought it would be heavier. Then I asked him how it worked. He started to tell me and show me. I thought then that I might try it. Well, to make a long story short, I started to cut the grass in front of the bouganvillea. The more I did the more I wanted to do. I guess my adrenaline began to work then. So I cut the area and made it look a whole lot better. Now we, well actually I, am planning on going out there and doing more on that yard. It made me feel good to be doing something useful plus seeing the results. To top it off, I did not feel any soreness nor achingness after it.

Has anyone else tried to work with some of these yard tools? How do you do it to get it to work for you? I want some tips so I can help him with all this work outside. Besides, I have always loved working with plants and yardwork. Keeps me from thinking too much.

Would love to hear from all here.

Raven

hey Raven

I've been trying to come up with ways to work on mine and my mom's yards...as well as things on the floor that I'd need to scooch around...and here's the idea we've come up with(yet not assembled)...Take one of those flat 4-wheel furniature dollies you can get from Home Depot or Lowes, attach a piece of Plywood to it for a flat surface, then put your w/c cushion on it(I've got a spare roho I use for various purposes such as this)...If you don't want to put your w/c cushion on it you can get decent memory foam dining chair or automotive seat pads at wal-mart...just so you've got something padding your bottom...The dolly can roll along the ground and you can scooch yourself with it...

My sister has some long handled garden tools, but not a complete set, I tried to find some more at Home Depot this week, but they don't carry them. HOWEVER they do have some nice ergonomic handled tools with a soft vinyl grip. I got my mom the shovel, it was about $9.00. I'm gonna get her the rake now that she's seen the grip(she wanted/needed )longer handles so I didn't want to buy both if they wouldn't work for her...the ergo handle will work well tho Her yard is becoming landscaped and has flowers being planted little by little...Maybe my yard will be next.

Hope this helps...happy gardening
    'Chelle
    L-1 inc 11/24/03

"My Give-a-Damn's Busted"......

I've hired some people to get my yard in order [doing the big cleaning]. Also had them plant the garden. We have a 'hiring depot' for migrant workers - $12.00 an hour. They do great work. Now I'm watering and weeding with a hoe. I know I can't do the heavy lifting, but maintenance is something I can do.

Quote Originally Posted by Broknwing
    I've been trying to come up with ways to work on mine and my mom's yards...as well as things on the floor that I'd need to scooch around...and here's the idea we've come up with(yet not assembled)...Take one of those flat 4-wheel furniature dollies you can get from Home Depot or Lowes, attach a piece of Plywood to it for a flat surface, then put your w/c cushion on it
    Why not just start with a car creeper? I think they might be less expensive than a furniture dolly too.

C.

car creeper is a great idea.
    As far as long handled tools sometimes I use the kids gardening tools. THey have a long enough handle for me but they aren't always durable.
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.

Sometimes it is easier to widen doors than it is to open minds.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger Racing
    Why not just start with a car creeper? I think they might be less expensive than a furniture dolly too.

C.
    never thought of it...don't own one...always crawled on the ground on a moving blanket under my cars...lol...but that would give me another excuse too finally get one I like that one w/ the adjustable headrest tho...We have half a dozen furn dollies so they are readily accessible for me to canibalize my desktop computer desk is currently sitting on two b/c it otherwise sits too low & I have been too lazy to buld a 2x4 frame base...lol
    'Chelle
    L-1 inc 11/24/03

"My Give-a-Damn's Busted"......

Anyone got an idea where to get a creeper maybe 72" long for this short attention span google challenged guy? I'd love to change my oil and break things under my car, but the too short creeper effect would be a pain I would think.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy
    Anyone got an idea where to get a creeper maybe 72" long for this short attention span google challenged guy?
    I haven't seen anything longer than about 40-42", but if I do, I'll let you know.

C.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy
    Anyone got an idea where to get a creeper maybe 72" long for this short attention span google challenged guy? I'd love to change my oil and break things under my car, but the too short creeper effect would be a pain I would think.
    Andy, could you attach 2 together?
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I do like the idea of the creeper and if it isn't possible to get one, I will ask Nick to make one more or less like Chelle suggested. I am anxious to get things moving cause it has been raining here more (again) and the grass is getting taller. I might get lost it it tho.

One more thing I wanted to ask. Does anyone know how to keep that creeping grass controlled? It seems that is the one we have in the yard and it keeps getting into the sections that are just for my plants. Even the ones in pots are getting some in it. I had been a bit negligent and since they were out of my reach, the grass got into it. Any ideas, anyone?

Btw, I found a tool that works as a hoe but it is not those long handled ones. It has a handle that you can work the dirt even from your chair.

Andy, since I will be also looking at those creepers, I will see if I see one like you mention needing. Will let you know if I see one. Also, hope you enjoy working with your car. I might be asking you to fix mine.

Raven