Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bladder, Drinking, Cathing, & Urodynamics Issue

Bladder, Drinking, Cathing, & Urodynamics Issue

I had a urodynamics test done over a month ago and I could not get more than 250cc in my bladder before I started getting chills and sweats. My urologist told me to cath every 3 hours instead of four and to drink at least 6 glasses a day tappering off at 6:00pm to try and expand my bladder. I don't understand how this would expand my bladder; it would just give me more UTI's. Will this work? Also, I don't drink near enough as I should; I get in about 3 glasses a day. I have no finger or wrist movement so I can't pick up a drink and I am never thirsty. I mix my drinks with mostly water and some juice. Is this just as good as drinking plain water? How do some of you make yourself drink, and what drinking systems do some of you who can't pick up cups have so where you can drink independently without someone giving it to you?

Marie
    Unbroken by the grace of God

Camelbak drinking systems are awesome. They come in many sizes and can slip over the back of your chair. Tubing extends from the bag, with a "bite valve" on the end. No dexterity necessary. Can be used independently. I have an insulated one to keep fluids cool/warm. They are made for bikers and hikers.

I avoid juices that contain sugar, as this can be bad for your bladder.

The Camelbak pictured holds 100 ounces.

at the very least you can use a bikers type squeeze bottle that you can grasp using both hands, tape a large loop around it and you can hook it over the push handle and take it wherever, just take a couple of squirts every 20 mins or so

Marie, how do you control your wheelchair? A number of my clients who have chin controls or sip and puff controls just attach a piece of plastic tubing to their control, which goes like a straw into an insulated jug they attach to the back of their chair. The secret to using it to be sure to blow back on the tube after taking a drink so that you don't siphon water all over yourself. The CamelBaks are a great option though and come in a variety of sizes and designs.

(KLD)

Nurse,
    I use a joystick on my chair and drive it with a splint. Also, will cathing every 3 hours and drinking more enlarge my bladder? If I got a camelbak where would I keep the straw? Thanks everyone.

Marie

Originally posted by Marie:

If I got a camelbak where would I keep the straw?
    The tubing for my Camelbak slips from behind my back and next to my left armrest. When not in use, it rests to the side of my left thigh. But the tubing can be adjusted to best fit your needs. It's long and flexible.

Cathing more often will not enlarge your bladder.

Drinking more can sometimes stretch your bladder, but it may also cause more leakage and AD. You should be drinking a minimum of 2 quarts daily though.

What anticholergic meds are you taking? Do you cath yourself? Could you use intravesicular Ditropan? I know you are waiting for a Mitrofanoff...are you considering an augmentation or Botox as well?

(KLD)

Nurse,
    I am not sure what anticholergic meds are, but I take 20mg Ditropan XL, 80mg Baclofen, 200mg Colace, 25mg Zoloft, and Merlax when needed. How many oz are in 2 quarts? I have thought of Augmentation with Matrofanoff but it just increases the chances of not having the stoma in by navel if my appendix is not long enough and if my bowels are used. My mom caths me. What does Botox do; I have heard of it before. That is what Amanda is having done during her Matrofanoff. Doesn't Botox only temporarily work? Thanks

Marie

4 cups (8 oz. each) equal a quart (about 1000 cc).

Ditropan XL is an anticholergic (as are Detrol, Ditropan,Detrol LA, Cystospaz and Levsin). You can combine them. You can also add a tricyclic antidepressant (usually imipramine) to get additional bladder capacity.

Botox does have to be repeated every 4-8 months. It paralyzes the bladder, giving you lower pressures and preventing leakage. If it works, it is much easier than an augmentation surgery.

Small bowel, not just appendix, can be used for a Mitrofanoff. If you do not cath yourself, then it is less important the location of the Mitrofanoff. It is rarely used for those who cannot cath themselves as a caregiver can more easily cath the urethra than the person themselves.

(KLD)

I got my Camelbak! It is so cool! I can get a drink from anywhere. I love this. I know this will definately increase my fluid intake. Thanks for that suggestion Clipper and Nure.

Marie