Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: win 98

win 98

well hell, i done, done it now, lol.

i forgot ya can't play around with win 98 like ya can xp. when i installed the drivers for the ethernet card it started showing some type files missing when i booted up. i have a boot disk so decided to format an start anew. put in boot disk, typed format c: /s. now when i turn on comp i get the a: prompt but windows don't start. i'm at a loss. it's been too long since i dealt with win 98.

ummmm???? "HELPPPPPPP"

"edit" since reading on the net. i think i screwed myself since i don't have a cd except for the old win 98 one.
    Last edited by rollin64; 05-12-2007 at 01:28 PM.

yeah you wiped your hard drive it is now blank. You will need a bootable CD of windows 98/98SE to put windows back on the hard drive. You can download a torrent off the internet easy and just use your key on the computer making it legit.
    Teyrn

From bootdisk.com you can obtain a bootable floppy with CDrom drivers. This will allow you to access your Cdrom and run the Win98 installation.

~dan
    Daniel

well i told ppl this laptop would give me something to play with an occupy some time. leave it to me to take it to the extreme, hahaha. thats me in a nutshell, lol. this is why i have a spinal cord injury to this day.

thanks yall, i'm working on it. i'll be be back with a......YAAA-HOOOO!!!!! pretty soon......hopefully, hehe.

okay....i got me a win 98SE iso an the boot disk. yayyy!

so i've run the boot disk, clik...start computer with cd-rom support an get the a: prompt.

do i needa type something here or shut off, put the cd in and turn the comp on?

Blog Entries
    put the cd in and turn it on
    I'd put 2000 or xp on it, won't have to fool with drivers and 98 is THE suckiest OS of ALL time.
    or better still a copy of a linux distro, it's free AND secure, you are gonna learn how great a feeling that is

Quote Originally Posted by CapnGimp
    put the cd in and turn it on
    I'd put 2000 or xp on it, won't have to fool with drivers and 98 is THE suckiest OS of ALL time.
    or better still a copy of a linux distro, it's free AND secure, you are gonna learn how great a feeling that is
    would rather go XP, capn but this is on an old laptop with only 64mb so i'm kinda screwed there. i plan on tryin to get it up to 128mb which is all its supposed to handle.

i been wantin to try linux, which i might do since i got this other comp to play with. is linux a smaller program than win 98?

Blog Entries
    linux is better ALL AROUND than windows anything
    you'll be surfing mostly so find an older distro, download it and burn iso to cd
    you won't have to waste memory on anti virus/spyware and related CRAP like MS I've been on this thing all night and since 11 this morn, I gotta go get outside after I eat
    PM me so I don't forget and I'll find what you need and send you the link or burn it here and mail it to ya
    I pmed you last night about handcontrols, go CHECK YOUR PERSONAL MESSAges OLD TIMER !!! LOL
    WE'RE GONNA get YA HOOKED UP DRIVING,
    EVEN IF IT HAIRLIPS ME!

Which one did you get.? usually at a: its :

a: cd d
    d: setup
    a is the floppy.. so change directory to the cd drive, cd d, and the run setup.. you didn't need the bootable copy it seems... doh! doesn't matter though.

shoot me p/m and i'll hook you up if you need.

I'd stay away from Linux on that though as you'll need a base version, so lack of driver setup, as well linux distros are hard on wireless...

The size range from a little smaller than win 98, to the size of xp or vista. However, small means you do alot more grunt work.

Quote Originally Posted by CapnGimp
    linux is better ALL AROUND than windows anything
    you'll be surfing mostly so find an older distro, download it and burn iso to cd
    you won't have to waste memory on anti virus/spyware and related CRAP like MS I've been on this thing all night and since 11 this morn, I gotta go get outside after I eat
    PM me so I don't forget and I'll find what you need and send you the link or burn it here and mail it to ya
    I pmed you last night about handcontrols, go CHECK YOUR PERSONAL MESSAges OLD TIMER !!! LOL
    WE'RE GONNA get YA HOOKED UP DRIVING,
    EVEN IF IT HAIRLIPS ME!
    haha, don't wanna hairlip the cap'n. i pm'd ya.