Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Portland OR

Portland OR

Going out to Portland in June to visit PW and see the sights. Does anyone have any info. on how accessible the tram, resturants, coast hotels, etc. are? Where can we find the best places to purchase wine, beer, and seafood to bring home? Any other places to visit and any advice would be great. Portland sounds beautiful. I LOVE mountains and ocean.

Portland is beautiful. It has been a long time since I visited there. If you get a chance, do a day trip to Seattle! Their Pike Place Market and water front are AWESOME! The best fresh seafood in the world! Accessible? I would think Portland and Seattle would be as accessible as anywhere else. Just go for it and have FUN!

I actually just had my first public transportation experience yesterday, and it was great. All of our buses are accessible. I don't have time to write about it now, but I will later. I'll tell you about other stuff too...

Momo, do you have a date set? I try to avoid crowded places mostly. I don't know if you do, but if you do, keep a couple things in mind: last day of public school is June 15th. Rose Festival is May 31st to June 10th. The big parade is on June 9th. Rose Festival is a huge event and although there would be lots to see and do, there will be lots and lots of people.

Before I tell you about other stuff, I have some questions for you. Do you want to stay in downtown, near the airport, near PW.....? What kind of hotel do you want to stay in (luxury, modern, historic, economy...?)

Will you be renting a car or van, or rely on public transportation and/or cabs?

I see in your profile that you are a mom. Will your children (child) be coming with you?

Shannon, I'm going out there in October for a wedding at McMenamins Edgefield outside Portland http://www.mcmenamins.com/index.php?...ion%20Homepage . Do you know anything about this place besides the info on the website? What else is there to do in Portland in October? Any handicap transportation or van rentals? Will it be raining? lol. Thanks.

Smokey, it might be pouring down rain in October, or it could be 80 and sunny. Most likely it will be at least a little wet.

Regarding Edgefield, I've been to one wedding there. The wedding was outside and accessibility was okay. The reception area was not accessible though. I had to be carried up a flight of stairs. I've never stayed overnight there, so I don't know about the rooms. I'll swing by there sometime this week though and check it out. I love exploring and this will give me a good excuse to really check the place out.

I believe all of our buses and light rail are accessible. I had car troubles yesterday and because of it, I experienced (for the first time), Portland buses. I was really impressed. I called them *503-238-RIDE (7433)*, told them where I was coming from, going to, and when, and they planned the whole trip for me. It invovled 3 buses and all 3 were great. The first two had lifts to get me in, and the 3rd one had a ramp that folded out. It was quick and easy and the bus drivers were helpful and friendly. They can help you get locked down if you ask. It's been a while since I took lightrail, but I think you just roll right on.

The wheelchair accessible cabs aren't great here, in my opinion. I mean, they get you where you want to go, but the vans are old and dirty. Buses and lightrail are way better.

TriMet: http://www.trimet.org/.

There are two places that I know of who rent w/c vans. One place totally sucks and you don't want to rent from them. They're nice people, but the are way overpriced, and they tend to screw things up. The good place is All in One Mobility - http://www.allinonemobility-shop.com/. Just be sure to tell them you need hand controls if you will be the one driving. The hand controls aren't usually hooked up on them, but tell them in advance and they'll put them on. They are pretty close to the airport. The other place, the bad one, is far away. I've had nothing but good experiences with All in One Mobility.

More in a bit...

Shannon,
    I am scheduled to be at PW June 18-22. We are driving out from Minnesota with no children! We would like to stay near PW at least for the first couple days-maybe closer to the coast the rest. Would like to not break the bank with hotels but would like to stay at places that would be wheelchair friendly. How bad is the traffic? Thanks for all of your info. so far.

Kathy

Kathy, I was born in MN. Lived there and in rural WI until I was 22 at which point I decided I didn't want to deal with the snow anymore. I packed my stuff and drove to Portland and have been here ever since. MN to OR is a long, boring drive!

Traffic isn't much of a problem here. I don't know where in MN you are, but traffic certainly isn't any worse than Mpls.

I looked up PW, and they are in Beaverton it looks like. I don't really know Beaverton. I think pretty much any hotel there will have w/c rooms though. I'm sure PW could recommend some places.

I've got some other information to share, but I gotta go. I'll try to come back later today.

Shannon,
    Thanks so much for all the info. We live in north central Minnesota. I figured Portland wasn't too bad although the cities traffic has gotten pretty bad in the last few years. I don't mind the drive too much except from ND to mid Montana. No offense to any members out that direction. I have a few hotels that PW gave me-just wondering about the coast area.

Smokey, I spent the morning at Edgefield. It was fun. I saw 3 of the rooms and took pictures. Will you be staying the night there? I have more info, and will get back here later.