Thread: Masters/Grad school

Masters/Grad school

If one had a bachelor's in business, can that person then get a master's in history or social services, or something other than business - without first getting a bachelor's in the subject to be studied for the master's?

And if so, does it take longer for the masters degree if the subject is different from the bachelor's?

Don't master's degrees start out at the beginning of the material, just like our bachelor's course work? I mean, isn't a masters pretty much the same kind of learning as the first 4 year degree, but with advanced material and without all the general ed courses? Or do you need a firm grounding and understanding of the subject being taught for the masters?

Finally, is going to school to get a master's degree considered grad school, or does that only apply to doctorate preparation.

thanks

sorry for the convolutidity of this post, but I'm tuckered out and can't think straight right now.
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

It depends on what you want to study. Every grad degree will have some prerequisites but generally not a whole degree worth. It is true that many programs build on current knowledge bases but many programs blend nicely with business backgrounds. THe best thing is to get in touch with or review the websites of schools with programs that you are interested in, and determine what the requirements are. Very often you can take two or three courses before being admitted to the program and if you do well, it is easier to be accepted. My first degree was in Education, second in Nursing and my third is currently a Masters in Nursing/ MBA combined program. It all blended nicely. Good luck.
    Mary
    1FineSpineRN

good question. I have a business degree but want to do something different with a masters. Just starting to check into it myself.
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.

Sometimes it is easier to widen doors than it is to open minds.

There is someone in our program (social work) that got her undergrad in english. Most everyone else had degrees in social work, public health, psychology, or sociology. I guess it just depends on the school and program you choose.
    www.cawvsports.org
    The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same. ~ Don Juan Matus
    We are Virginia Tech… We must laugh again… No one deserves a tragedy… We are strong, and brave, and innocent, and unafraid…We are better than we think and not quit what we want to be…We are the Hokies…We will prevail, we will prevail, we will prevail. We ARE Virginia Tech! ~ Nikki Giovanni

every program has minimum prerequisites. these are often listed on the website. As long as you have those you can apply. some places will allow you to get in with a portion complete & you'll have to complete what you don't have early on in the process. these classes will not count towards your graduation as they are still undergraduate courses. but, there may be ways to get graduate credit for extra work.

a master's program is considered grad school. and actually, for most areas, you get maximum return on your investment at the masters level. Only do a PhD if you love your area.

It depends on the area. For sure in the maths & sciences you'll need a firm basis in the beginnings. It will be assumed you know the basics and everything will build on that. I don't know about the arts & social sciences.

Grad school tends to cover more material at a faster rate than undergrad. One basic course I had in grad school covered the entire undergrad semester in the fisrt half of the semester & moved on to more advanced material.

It can be an adjustment if you are not expecting it.

Just like Sporty said. If you want to do an MS, typically, you'll need the equivalent of the BS under your belt. If you want to do an MA, you can usually get away with just the lower division undergrad work for that subject as the prereqs. It varies from school to school.
    No one ever became unsuccessful by helping others out

Yes, what they said about prerequisites. I had people in my MSIS program with all kinds of different undergrad degrees.

When I was in grad school many of my classmates had BA or BS degrees that ran the gamut.
    Finally, is going to school to get a master's degree considered grad school, or does that only apply to doctorate preparation.
    Getting a masters degree means grad school.
    The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit the bottom
    --General George Patton

Complex problems need to be solved collectively.
    ––Paul Nussbaum
    usc87.blogspot.com

Thanks everyone, for the advice/info. I suppose I just have to spend the time and figure it all out, and decide how I want to proceed.
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!