Thread: All-terrain wheelchair

All-terrain wheelchair

I have a part-time job in the Disabled Student Development office at Ball State University and we make sure that students with disabilities are able to be on an equal footing with the AB students.

There is a paralyzed student in an Environmental Studies class that includes a field trip to a park. This student uses a power chair, but this park is not accessible enough for a power chair. Our department is looking into purchasing a manual all-terrain chair and hiring an attendent to push the chair for this student. A manual chair is in our price range and could be used by other wheelchair using students for classes such as biology who frequently make trips to a local woods to observe things. It would make it a lot easier on these students as well.

We found three manual chairs online

Quickie XTR-
    Looks good, pretty light for an offroad chair, except user would have to be able to wheelie over most terrain, or have attendant hold them in a wheelie.

Terra Trek-
    Looks like the best of the bunch, not too heavy and nice big front castors.

Seeker-
    Looks like a stroller, can it even be pushed by the person in it or does it have to have someone pushing it? It also weighs 65 pounds, ouch!

I searched, but couldnt really come up with the information we are looking for. Any information, personal experience, pictures, etc would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks,

-Jeff.
    IMPOSSIBLE IS JUST A BIG WORD THROWN AROUND BY SMALL MEN WHO FIND IT EASIER TO LIVE IN THE WORLD THEY'VE BEEN GIVEN THAN TO EXPLORE THE POWER THEY HAVE TO CHANGE IT. IMPOSSIBLE IS NOT A FACT. IT'S AN OPINION. IMPOSSIBLE IS NOT A DECLARATION. IT'S A DARE. IMPOSSIBLE IS POTENTIAL. IMPOSSIBLE IS TEMPORARY.

IMPOSSIBLE IS NOTHING.

Blog Entries
    6 or 8inch casters and mountainbike knobbies has worked for me for 11 years on my quickie 2 (8inch casters and 26x2.10 rear( 559)
    It's all about the surface area on rear, leave pressure a little low and front wheel height to climb instead of stop and throw you.
    I go everywhere in that chair I live in the mountains.
    If they are generous get a chair with suspension also
    but low pressure in tires knocks out almost all bumps.
    froglegs that used 8 inch casters would be ideal, don't know if they exist or not.

hi, dunno if it helps but you might wanna try the trekinetic chair. Its new to the market but designed to go on rough terrain, beaches etc. I'm planning on visiting their workshop her in the uk this week so if you have any questions i can ask the engineer behind them.
    heres the website http://www.trekinetic.co.uk/home.html

Schuylkill County Pennsylvania (Northeast PA)
    check out your local LIONs club, rotary, they sometimes have loaners for a day out. Also, I don't know about your area but in my area my local UCP (united cerebral palsy) refurbishes all types of wheelchairs - power & manual and they just ask for a donation, no set amount. it's worth checking out.

From what I've seen of the Terra Trek, it would probably best suit the environments you are talking about the university using it for. You want something that will be nimble on rough and uneven surfaces. That is what the Terra Trek was designed for.

Another option might be the Colours Boing with some heavy duty knobby tires and pneumatic front casters. It has 4-wheel independant suspension. Jadis uses hers offroad a lot, can give you more info on how it is to navigate woods and the such. I think you may still need to do wheelies over stuff though...

hope this helps...
    'Chelle
    L-1 inc 11/24/03

"My Give-a-Damn's Busted"......

The Buzzard...

Try the Buzzard all terrain. I think it would be easier to push than a regular manual all terrain.
    http://www.eaglesportschairs.com/gen...ERWRJPX0?pid=6